PDA

View Full Version : Sauerbraten

bob
18th June 2006, 12:46 PM
Just wondering if I'm alone in this. I've been a long time fan of Cube and was excited to see that the same group has released the sequil, Sauerbraten. However, while I never had problems playing Cube, Sauerbraten causes constant Seg. Faults. The SP map always seg faults, while the DMSP map has about 50% of the levels that seg fault. Perhaps my old graphics card is just not up to it (Geforce4 MX420).

18th June 2006, 03:34 PM
Hello FedoraForum!

Sauerbraten works fine with Nvidia 6600GT, like cube did before. No problems at all.

cheers 2541

Thetargos
19th June 2006, 02:58 AM
I have a problem with both games, I can't run Cube (segfault) and as soon as I load a Sauerbraten map it also crashes... The odd thing is that at some point Cube did work on my x86_64 FC4 machine, but all of a sudden it stopped working.... By the way, is Cube or Sauerbraten in Extras

cdlaforc
19th June 2006, 03:07 AM
I haven't had any problems with Saurbraten yet I've had it installed for about 2 weeks. I'm running with a Nvidia Geforce 5200 Fx.

Firewing1
19th June 2006, 03:11 AM
I don't have any problem - But also note that I have all SDL packages installed...
Firewing1

bob
19th June 2006, 03:13 AM
Thetargos, I had no luck with Cube on X86_64 because it requires i386 libs that conflicted with other installed games. And, no it isn't available through yum, just have to download directly and then extract and run.

bob
19th June 2006, 03:22 AM
Firewing1, I've even got the development SDL installed. Here's the last failed attempt:

init: sdl
init: enet
init: video: sdl
init: video: mode
init: video: misc
init: console
init: gl
Using GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extensions.
WARNING: No shader support! Using fixed function fallback. (no fancy visuals for you)
WARNING: Using NVIDIA texgen bug workaround. (use "/nvidia_texgen_bug 0" to disable)
WARNING: No occlusion query support! (large maps may be SLOW)
init: world
game mode is ffa/default
init: sound
init: cfg
could not read "autoexec.cfg"
init: localconnect
init: mainloop
read map packages/base/curvedm.ogz (0.2 seconds)
Curves_That_Kill
game mode is ffa/default
read map packages/base/vr.ogz (0.6 seconds)
Virtual Reality, by Shadow516
game mode is SP
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

perry753
20th June 2006, 07:52 AM
How are you getting Sauerbraten installed? I could never get it to work myself...

Perry

Thetargos
20th June 2006, 08:00 AM
Thetargos, I had no luck with Cube on X86_64 because it requires i386 libs that conflicted with other installed games. And, no it isn't available through yum, just have to download directly and then extract and run.
I did something funny... Got the i386 libs and played with LD_LIBRARY_PATH for it to see the libs, but it terribly crashes with a sigsev (segementation fault)

bob
20th June 2006, 12:53 PM
Perry, it's really simple (for i386, that is). Just download the tar.gz to your /home, extract there and then open a terminal, 'cd sauerbraten' and './sauerbraten_unix'

Jman
21st June 2006, 02:41 AM
Installing the various SDL libs from the i386 repository seems to make it work on x86_64. Will try it out more later, dog slow on nv driver.

Firewing1
22nd June 2006, 01:35 PM
Hmmm... Yes, I've been thinking bob - Try installing all SDL rpms that's possible from Core and Extras, and then also download the newest version if you're not on it - One cam out in June, I think. If it still won't work, I remember having this problem with 'viruskiller', and the solution was to download the official SDL RPM off the SDL site and then do

rpm -e --nodeps SDL
rpm -Uhv SDL*.rpm
Firewing1

Thetargos
22nd June 2006, 02:12 PM
Will try it out more later, dog slow on nv driver.
By that you mean the "nv" or "nvidia" driver? As one is hardware accelerated and the other is not ;)

bob
23rd June 2006, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm afraid that even with the SDL from the homepage, no change here. Ah well, at least many of the maps work, if not all.

Jman
23rd June 2006, 04:42 AM
nv driver. nvidia one is a bit faster.

And I have the Fedora SDL packages. SDL, SDL_image, and SDL_mixer, x86_64 and i386 parallel installed.

Thetargos
23rd June 2006, 05:43 AM
nv driver. nvidia one is a bit faster.

And I have the Fedora SDL packages. SDL, SDL_image, and SDL_mixer, x86_64 and i386 parallel installed.
You will have to specifically list the 32-bit ones using LD_LIBRARY_PATH, for me it worked for cube on 64-bit FC4 (I get a segmentation fault on FC5, though)

Firewing1
23rd June 2006, 02:49 PM
Bob, I just realized you have installed FC6T1 - Is this running in your FC6-T1 or FC5? Also, are you using the June 11th (I think that's the newest release date) one? I'm using that one and it's running great... I tried most of the SP maps and they don't segfault.

I've also seen in rare cases this will happen and it will stop if you run the game as root - It probably won't change anything but worth a try.

Firewing1

bob
24th June 2006, 12:28 AM
No, I'm using both FC5 and FC6T1, but on different drives. The T1 is strictly for testing, not daily use and frankly, without the livna drivers, 3D is crud on my machine. And yes, I'm using the 'latest and greatest' on FC5 - at least all the normal updates. I'll give the 'root' method a try just for fun.

Firewing1
24th June 2006, 04:42 PM
That's wierd - I'm also using the newest updates, I have have a Nvidia card (you do too if I remember correctly, right?) and also all the SDL stuff installed... But it works here. Maybe your download was corrupted somehow during extraction?
Firewing1

bob
24th June 2006, 05:01 PM
Probably something related to hardware to be honest, since I have the same segfaults in Ubuntu with a separate download of Sauerbraten. So, two downloads, two distros, different kernels, etc... yet one machine in common - and same geezer behind the keys. Can't update the geezer and the wife's got the pocketbook restricted. Yes, I'm running an ancient Nvidia Geforce4 MX420 card with an athlon 2600 and 512meg; Asus mobo. Pretty standard stuff all in all.

Lord Illidan
18th September 2006, 03:19 PM
Hi guys, I think I have a similar problem.

On my Fedora Core 5, Nvidia drivers installed, Dual Core..sauerbraten exits with this :

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

bob
18th September 2006, 05:59 PM
Yes, the problem persists with my machine as well. Not sure if it's connected to an older graphics card (Geforce4-MX420) or perhaps to running with 512 meg of ram, or because I have foot odor.

Mat
18th September 2006, 06:37 PM
quite OT here:

I never heard a more stupid name for a game.. has anyone a link?

bob
18th September 2006, 07:28 PM
http://sauerbraten.org/ - put out by the good folks who have put out Cube: http://wouter.fov120.com/cube Don't understand the name myself, but it's a decent first person shooter.

Mat
19th September 2006, 12:15 AM
the name - and that's why I wondered - is the one for German speciality..
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Rheinischer_Sauerbraten_vom_Pferd_-_Meckenstocks.jpg

and it (the game) certainly looks good

Mat