PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Static Ip

wshawn
4th April 2004, 04:43 AM
Using a Linksys router in this example:

1. Using a browser see if you can get into the router by going to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

2. Under the status tab grab the info for dns and write it down

Using the GUI.

3. Goto System Settings | Network

4. Type su password
5. Make sure your eth device is active
6. Double Click the active device
7. General tab select Statically set IP address
8. For address match the first three numbers you used to get into router and change the four number to what you want it to be static.
9. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
10. Default gateway is the same number you got into the router in step 1.
11. Make sure the check marks in the first two boxes are turned on if that is the configuration you want (in other words network works after reboots)
12. Hit OK

13. Select DNS tab
14. Leave host name alone
15. Enter the numbers you wrote down in step 2
16. dns search path should be the hostname of router (cfl.rr.com for Road Runner in Central Florida for example)

17. Select Hosts tab
18. Select New
19. Enter the router address here
20. enter a name like gateway
21. enter an alias /description
22. Select Ok

23. Exit and save info

24. Reboot the computer to test your configuration.

Remember it is not dhcp so it will not show up in the router in the DHCP list. You can verify your settings are correct by talking to the router by checking the log in the router after going to a few websites and see if your linux box is in the outbound portion of the log.

Of course you can terminal an answer of your current ip, but I like to doublecheck outside the box.

Drop to a terminal
su -

/sbin/ifconfig

reddwarf2956
12th April 2004, 04:04 PM
That is helpful, but I do have some questions.

14. Leave host name alone
What will happen if it was blank and what will happen if it has a host name? Will this be the host name of the computer that is being made static? If not, where is that set?

If this machine is to be the DNS server for the other DHCP machines what to do (or where is the HowTo for doing that)? With this same thought, should step 15. have a change as to have itself (or not have itself) on the list? will it be 127.0.0.1 or the IP address in 8.?

How does the DHCP clients report there hostname to the DNS server?

John

Jman
14th April 2004, 03:00 AM
Moved to How-To forum.

wshawn
21st April 2004, 01:07 AM
Sorry so long getting back. We have been relocating and renovating.

This how to was not for setting up a dns server. It was for assigning a static ip address to your fedora box so as to facilitate running apache, ftp, and ssh locally so my clients from around the globe could log into my fedora system on my desk directly, rather then to a webserver and my having to retrieve their materials from there.

It also allows me to setup live chat and helpdesk here instead of on a webserver so as to expedite things.

Setting up the linksys router to port forward all the ports to the linux box makes life very simple.

As far as dns goes.... that is what the router is for....

Personally I have had the routers bypass the dns infromation provided DCHP via road runner and use the dns servers directly on our webservers so as to allow us to begin working on websites without waiting for propagation.

We utilize a huge amount of php code based around domain name for security reasons...