PDA

View Full Version : FC2 'shutdown' doesn't

owakroeger
24th June 2004, 05:27 AM
I first noticed this a day or so after installing FC2, which I really like, by th way, when I shut the computer down for the night, everything seemed ok. When I got up the next morning, the computer was turned on, the screen had blacked out, and moving the mouse a bit brought the screen back to the log in screen. At first, I thought my son or wife had turned it on, and just left it.
But, it does this all the time. At least an hour, but less than five hours, after I shut it down, it will restart on it's own.
It never did this with RH9. Is 'shutdown' actually a 'sleep mode' which is timed to restart after a variable time? If so, is this set in the kernel? If so, how do I either disable it so that it truly 'shuts down', or lengthen the time to like 48 hours or 396 or something. If it isn't in the kernel, where is it?
I realize that since Fedora is aimed primarily at the server users, this is probably preferable. As a PC setup, though, I would rather it shutdown when I tell it to, and stay that way till I turn it back on.
Any help in this regard?
Thanks,
owa :confused: :confused: :confused:

rogue
24th June 2004, 05:47 AM
Do you have any "Wake at" timers or "Wake on" features enabled in the BIOS?

Thoreau
24th June 2004, 05:50 AM
^^^ that's the only thing i can think of, because inorder for the OS to turn on the machine, there would have to be power to the proc. Unplug the power cord, if it doesn't turn on, you've found the problem :D

owakroeger
24th June 2004, 06:00 AM
I neglected to mention in my last that if I turn the main 'on/off' swicth on the back to the 'off' position, of course, it shuts down. That's ok, except then I have to remember to turn the 'on/off' switch to the 'on' position again before I poke the pwr on button on the front. I could live with this if I had to, but I never had to do this before.
In answer to the question of whether I have any 'wake * ' features set, the answer is b.s.o.m. If any are set, they were set by the install without any prompt from me. If there is this option, where might I find it, so that I can either disable it or give it some extraordinarily looonng time period? :confused: :rolleyes:

owakroeger
24th June 2004, 06:44 AM
This from 'foolish' in another, similar thread;
edit grub.conf on the line that says 'kernel/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet (add here) 'apm=on acpi=off'

I haven't tried this, yet, but I will tonight.

Another option, suggested from someone else in that same thread, is to shut down from a prompt with the command line;
@ poweroff

I haven't tried either of these. If the first suggestion fails, I'll try the second.
Thanks for the reply,
owa

owakroeger
24th June 2004, 12:07 PM
Just a follow-up to my last. I had occasion to be kicked out of the office here at home....the BOSS had other, more important things on my honeydo list than tinker with what she calls "the ****!" Anyway, I had just loaded the numlock thing, and it worked, I think. I was away for just over four hours, and when I came back, it was still OFF. Thanks for the feedback,all.
Try this tip out, and thanks to 'foolish'.
:) :) :) :) :)