PDA

View Full Version : Yum "ImportError" on FC2

noisyjazzman
30th August 2004, 03:51 AM
Whenever I run Yum, I get the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
import yummain
File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
import yumcomps
File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
import comps
File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
import libxml2
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
import libxml2mod
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol: xmlXIncludeProcessFlags

I also get the ImportError if I try to import libxml2 from the python console.

I've tried using rpm to uninstall and re-install the libxml, libxml-python, and yum rpms which I downloaded from my nearest fedora core 2 mirror, but still the same problem.

Any ideas?

slartybartfast
30th August 2004, 07:36 AM
I also have this problem and must have asked about it in a dozen or more forums, ng's etc. Haven't had a useful answer yet.

I've come to the conclusion that Fedora, like all other linux's, is only really useful for hardcore geek-types. Linux always seems to OK, but it's a nightmare to do anything further with if you don't know what you're doing. With regret, I've had to go back to Windows XP, which just works (for me -- a non-expert). The Yum problem was a show-stopper for me as it made it impossible for me to continue installing softare.

Sorry I couldn't help.

imdeemvp
30th August 2004, 07:45 AM
you can use this yum.conf sample (http://fedoraguide.org/fc2/fc2beginnersguide.html#yumconfigureyumextra)

and then import RPM-GPG-KEY for Fedora "Extra" repositories (http://fedoraguide.org/fc2/fc2beginnersguide.html#yumimportrpmgpgkey)

and for slartybartfast, xp is easy to use but stability wise not for me by the next release of windoz in 2006 linux will be very on top....even goverment wise.

noisyjazzman
30th August 2004, 07:51 AM
You seem peeved at not having had an answer to your query. No-one owes you one. Remember Linux is largely created and supported by unpaid volunteers.

I think you have a point though on the usefulness of linux for non-experts. I've been primarily a Windows (NT then XP and Server 2003) user for years, but have kept trying linux distro's over the years. Fedora is the best I've tried so far. The new gnome is really quite an elegant basic UI (contrary to others, I am finding spatial nautilus an excellent way to manage files).

But linux is just too hard for an ordinary joe like me to administer on their desktop. I tried installing syncato today. Hours later, and it's still a trainwreck. I'd hate to count up the hours I've spent getting my Fedora installation just to the point where it's nearly as useful as the Windows installation I would have had up within a couple of hours (and I'm not a windows expert. I just download and run install packages, which then all just work).

I'm not quite ready to give up yet, at least if I can get yum working again. But I imagine it might have to be back to windows again for me, unfortunately.

imdeemvp
30th August 2004, 07:53 AM
just check out my desktop using fc1 on a 2nd machine:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=2

xp better i dont think so :rolleyes:

noisyjazzman
30th August 2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestion -- unfortunately my yum is too catastrophically broken for a change of repository to help. It breaks with this error even if I type 'yum --help'.

Btw I don't agree re the stability of Windows. That view is a bit out of date. From windows 2000 onwards (2000, XP, 2003 Server), windows has been extremely stable. I never reboot my windows desktop (just suspend or hibernate it), other than when patches demand.

imdeemvp
30th August 2004, 07:58 AM
use the sample ....copy and paste...you mention NT user i know about NT not having drivers for everything so how did you manage.....???

do the same with linux!

noisyjazzman
30th August 2004, 07:58 AM
just check out my desktop using fc1 on a 2nd machine:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=2

xp better i dont think so :rolleyes:
No, I'm not saying xp is 'better'. Horses for courses, etc. But an ordinary non-expert like me can use xp without a lot of time or fuss. That is worth something, surely?

noisyjazzman
30th August 2004, 08:05 AM
use the sample ....copy and paste...you mention NT user i know about NT not having drivers for everything so how did you manage.....???

do the same with linux!
I tried the new yum.conf and key import, but am still getting the libxml2 import error. I think I'm a victim of linux dependency hell ;)

imdeemvp
30th August 2004, 08:09 AM
if you need something in particular you can always do an rpm search (http://rpm.pbone.net/)

ghaefb
30th August 2004, 08:29 AM
From windows 2000 onwards (2000, XP, 2003 Server), windows has been extremely stable.
What tha.... ?? :o

noisyjazzman
30th August 2004, 08:29 AM
if you need something in particular you can always do an rpm search (http://rpm.pbone.net/)
True, and thanks for the link. But yum is central to Fedora for updates etc. I need to get it working. Also, I get the same libxml2 import problem with syncato.

noisyjazzman
30th August 2004, 08:33 AM
What tha.... ?? :o
Great argument, bud.

Windows in it's post-NT incarnations is very stable. The largest webhost in the southern hemisphere uses thousands of 2000 servers with no trouble. Look at Netcraft -- a few years ago, Microsoft webservers had hopeless uptimes. They have improved rapidly.

'Stability' is no longer a problem for any mainstream operating system. Linux stands out because of its open standards and superb software (notably apache). But jibes at new Windows stability are just old-fashioned ignorance.

ghaefb
30th August 2004, 08:37 AM
As you can see "What tha..." is not an argument.

bud

imdeemvp
30th August 2004, 08:40 AM
hey.....hey......hey......reminder! the new forum rules by Foolish aka michael jackson look a like (no offensen intended)

noisyjazzman
30th August 2004, 08:44 AM
As you can see "What tha..." is not an argument.

bud
Apologies if I misunderstood you then (I get very bored by the prevalence of folksy jibes taking the place of real information).

ghaefb
30th August 2004, 08:50 AM
hey.....hey......hey......reminder! the new forum rules by Foolish aka michael jackson look a like (no offensen intended)
They are forum guidelines, not rules :) you see

"Foolish aka michael jackson look a like" ROTFL :D seriously

Where are the moderators for this forum... to clean this mess I mean :rolleyes:

imdeemvp
30th August 2004, 08:51 AM
well just look at his avatar.....lol :D

and now we are off-topic of this thread! :eek:

noisyjazzman
30th August 2004, 12:48 PM
In case anyone else has the same problem, I fixed it by searching the entire filesystem for libxml2.so (on the theory that I had a wrong-versioned library somewhere). I found multiple versions in /usr/bin as well as /usr/local/bin. As I had no other libraries in /usr/local/bin, I assumed these were the strays and moved them temporarily out of the way to test. yum now works fine.