PDA

View Full Version : How To: NTFS on FD2

blahrus
21st May 2004, 02:35 AM
In case someone needs to mount their windows partition in Fedora Core 2 here is a quick how to.

1. Download rpm:

Download Link Here for I686 (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/linux-ntfs/kernel-ntfs-2.6.5-1.358.i686.rpm)

Download Link Here for I586 (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/linux-ntfs/kernel-ntfs-2.6.5-1.358.i586.rpm)

if you have a standard FC2 install. Other wise consult:

NTFS RPMs for Fedora & RedHat (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora2.html)

2. Install rpm:

rpm -Uvh /home/blahrus/kernel-ntfs-2.6.5-1.358.i686.rpm

3. Create a mount point:

mkdir /mnt/windows

4. Mount device to mount point

mount /dev/hda* /mnt/windows

(replace hda* with whichever device it is, most likely it will be hda1)

5. Then cd into /mnt/windows and you should see all the fun.

6. You can add it to fstab also if you would like it ot auto mount on each boot.

vim /etc/fstab

then after the last line in fstab add this

/dev/hda* /mnt/windows ntfs users,umask=000,ro 0 0

let me know if anyone has any other tips.

have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

hellraiser_rob
23rd May 2004, 07:51 PM
good tutorial, :)

blahrus
24th May 2004, 05:04 PM
thanks!!!

everything work for you?

vbmark
25th May 2004, 04:29 PM
Will one of these work for a 386 system or do I have to wait?

smitjel
25th May 2004, 05:02 PM
No Athlon support?

Buttseh
25th May 2004, 11:41 PM
Not sure if it was just me, but you may want to add that you can't access the mounted drive unless you chown/chmod.

chown username /mnt/windows/*

Obviously, change username with whatever :)

imdeemvp
26th May 2004, 04:17 AM
i have not a chance to try it yet but i will this weekend!

phoxxy
27th May 2004, 12:34 AM
This sucks. That's my questions too...

No Athlon support??

This bites.

kingmaximus
28th May 2004, 10:38 AM
yes download the i686. The new kernel can distinguish between pentium and AMD athlon

if you have AMD64, there are also RMPs available

BTW, this stuff is good, so it DOES not suck

gotmonkey
28th May 2004, 12:14 PM
Two Small question:
If I do this, will I have to re-install my video drivers ?

How to I test whether or not, I have all of the dependencies covered?

Thanks

gotmonkey
28th May 2004, 12:26 PM
Nevermind my previous post. I ran your howto and it worked out very well. Thanks

I still have Direct Rendering and no dependency issues with the rpm.

Do you know a way to make it read/write instead of just read only?

theurge
28th May 2004, 09:29 PM
The NTFS driver for Linux can only read NTFS volumes, not write.

hajk
31st May 2004, 05:52 PM
The conventional NTFS driver has one major issues, it is dependent on reverse engineered in fo that can does change from time to time. I would recommend Jan Kratochvil's captive driver

"http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/"

which actually encapsulates XP filesystem code in a compatability wrapper.

I was a skeptic, but I tried this under Knoppix V3.4 (where it is standard) and it worked well although a little slow. It is engineered to work with some bits of XP, however they are available for free download if you don't have that exact variant.

blahrus
31st May 2004, 06:34 PM
well . . . you would have to recompile it into your kernel

jacowhee
1st June 2004, 06:53 AM
The i686 link to the rpm produces the following error for me:

Could not read file.

Go back. /home/ftp/pub/sourceforge//s/so/sourceforge/linux-ntfs/kernel-ntfs-2.6.5-1.358.i686.rpm

May 31, 2004 10:48

I ended up just going to the directory and finding the file, http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/linux-ntfs/

Not sure if there is a typo in the link (or the filename changed) but it worked when I went through the above link.

ApuX
1st June 2004, 08:31 AM
Exelent! I did it and worked fine, but I had to compile an other kernel (NVIDIA support) so I lost the ntfs support :(
My new kernel is 2.6.5 Is there a RPM for this kernel or what do I have to do?
Thanks.

blahrus
1st June 2004, 11:25 AM
ehhh . . . . might have the compile that one for source . . . take a look at the NTFS on linux website

coyote4til7
2nd June 2004, 04:21 AM
On a clean install of FC 2 (final) on a Thinkpad T23 (1+Ghz / 128Meg Ram), the 586 version plain errors. The 686 version installs but doesn't seem to work.

Codeweaver's Crossover Office now reports a cdrom misconfiguration. Fortunately, the "misconfiguration" doesn't bring things to a halt -- installs of several older Adobe apps went smoothly.

In the if-it-kicks-your-dog-don't-sue-me category (note: I haven't tried it yet) I'm going to remove this NTFS driver and try Domingos' HOWTO: NTFS and CPU optimization on Fedora Core2 (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/vitor_domingos/ntfs/) (basically upgrade to an experimental kernel that has NTFS support built in)

blahrus
2nd June 2004, 11:34 AM
what type of proc do you have in the thinkpad?

and if the 686 installed fine, did it give any errors when you mounted it?

coyote4til7
2nd June 2004, 12:39 PM
The 586 one didn't work (IBM T23 1+GHz PIII). The 686 one "sucessfully" installed but doesn't make NTFS work. It does cause Codeweaver Crossover Office complain about a misconfigured CD Rom drive at the beginning of installs. But, the installs do go through. But, an article was just posted over on FedoraNews that walks through the kernel recompile process to make it work:
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/vitor_domingos/ntfs/

Vitor Domingos
10th June 2004, 02:15 AM
Check this tutorial that i've made:
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/vitor_domingos/ntfs/

Harryc
10th June 2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Vitor Domingos
Check this tutorial that i've made:
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/vitor_domingos/ntfs/ Thanks for this informative howto: on NTFS support on Fedora Core 2. I was able to do it successfully. Question, is there a reason that you did not turn on 'ntfs write' support?
--

micha
10th June 2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Harryc
Question, is there a reason that you did not turn on 'ntfs write' support? NTFS write support is limited to the modification of existing files without changing file size, at the moment...

--Micha

Harryc
10th June 2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by micha
NTFS write support is limited to the modification of existing files without changing file size, at the moment...

--Micha I see. Thank-you.

blahrus
10th June 2004, 03:28 PM
in the kernel its still considered expermental

micha
10th June 2004, 10:22 PM
No, NTFS support is not experimental anymore...

blahrus
13th June 2004, 03:22 AM
even write support?

micha
13th June 2004, 03:34 AM
Yep, even write support, but it's still limited. When you compile your own kernel, experimental modules are explicitly marked as such. More information about NTFS support in the linux kernel can be found here:
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net

--Micha

Darkstar559
19th June 2004, 07:13 PM
nice, thanks! so how would I get this chown command to execute everytime i login my username?

zulaica
19th June 2004, 07:35 PM
it's probably best to just go here: http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora2.html. you can find the rpm for whichever official fedora kernel verson you're using.

zulaica
19th June 2004, 07:40 PM
Darkstar559: you may just want to add an entry to your fstab. here's what mine looks like:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/WinXP ntfs ro,noauto,user,owner,exec,umask=007,gid=100 0 0

just substitute "hda1" with your ntfs partition and "WinXP" with the folder/mount point you created in /mnt.

hope this helps!

Darkstar559
20th June 2004, 06:34 AM
yes it helps but I have no permission to access them in my username :confused:

zulaica
20th June 2004, 06:38 AM
aah! you might need to make sure that your user is a part of the group "users". applications > system settings > users and groups.

hopefully that'll do it.

ReeprFlame
23rd June 2004, 04:46 AM
does anyone know where i can actually fidn the x84_64 NTFS rpm? i have looked but cannot find it and it was mentioned that it exists

strikeforce
24th June 2004, 07:13 PM
Quick quesiton with the ntfs module can you write to the ntfs partition yet. The problem is I have a dual boot and I want to access things from either partitiion and write it completely to the FC partition.

liuyang
28th June 2004, 10:19 PM
good! thank :p s.

PeTzZz
29th June 2004, 12:11 AM
The conventional NTFS driver has one major issues, it is dependent on reverse engineered in fo that can does change from time to time. I would recommend Jan Kratochvil's captive driver

"http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/"

which actually encapsulates XP filesystem code in a compatability wrapper.

I was a skeptic, but I tried this under Knoppix V3.4 (where it is standard) and it worked well although a little slow. It is engineered to work with some bits of XP, however they are available for free download if you don't have that exact variant.

Have anyone else tried it?
Is it safe (especially the ntfs write stuff)?
Hm, I wonder when will the full ntfs read/write support be built in the kernel (approximately).

imdeemvp
29th June 2004, 09:44 AM
not met i use what's recommended here and at fedoranews.org

imdeemvp
12th August 2004, 03:19 AM
This sucks. That's my questions too...

No Athlon support??

This bites.

it works with Athlon...............i have ONE :D

[emblym]
14th August 2004, 01:26 AM
my fstab does not seem to be working correctly. because everytime i boot up i have to re mount and chmod the WHOLE windows drive just so i can access it. any suggestions?

here is my fstab

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,noauto,user,owner,exec,umask=007,gid=100 0 0

Shadow Skill
15th August 2004, 04:55 AM
I installed the rpm for the i586 processor and I get these errors the first is when I install the rpm in the first place:

ERROR: Cannot load the NTFS kernel module.

the second is when I try to load the module manually:

FATAL: Error inserting ntfs (/lib/modules/2.6.7-1.494.2.2/kernel/fs/ntfs/ntfs.ko): Invalid module format

zulaica
15th August 2004, 05:53 AM
what you have to do is make sure that your groups are set up properly. by default, users are not added to the "users" group (gid 100 by default, i believe). i think fedora puts users into their own individual user group, e.g. user1 belongs to group user1 while user15 belongs to group user15. (please correct me if i'm wrong. i'm the only user on my desktop, other than root. ;-) )

so basically you have to make sure that your user account is in the proper group. if you're the only user, go ahead and change "gid=100" to "gid=500". i think 500 is the default group number. (again, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.) if you're running a multi-user system, it'd be best to include all users you want to give access into the "users" group. doing that will allow "gid=100" to work.

hope this helps!

[emblym]
15th August 2004, 11:33 PM
ok i tried that, but still no luck... there is a windows directory in my mnt folder. but nothing is inside. its just an empty folder. same goes with root. so something isnt working right i guess. im the only user on the system. i put myself in the users group as well but that didnt seem to work. any other suggestions. again here is my fstab

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,noauto,user,owner,exec,umask=007,gid=500 0 0

zulaica
15th August 2004, 11:41 PM
hmm. that's odd. well, first verify that the "users" group is the correct gid that you're using and that you're in the group as well.

beyond that, all i can think of right now is that maybe you should try accessing the drive first from "computer" on your desktop, computer:/// by location. the fstab creates the entries properly but you still need to "mount" the drive first. once you do that, there should be a "windows" link on your desktop and you should be golden. that's how it is for me in gnome. i'm not sure about kde.

after that, the only other thing i can think of is that perhaps your ntfs driver version doesn't match your kernel version... but i don't think that's it since you're not getting any errors.

let me know if this works. i'll rack my brain some more and see what i can think of.

[emblym]
16th August 2004, 01:46 AM
ok well, heres an update. first off im not using KDE im using fluxbox. i have KDE installed tho.

now everything works but i have to

mount mnt/windows

before it works. is there a way to have a startup script that does that command for me so i dont have to do it everytime?

[emblym]
17th August 2004, 01:06 AM
ok i got it to work. it wasnt coming up right because i dont use gnome. as soon as i got on gnome i seen it on the desktop. i fell kind of dumb now. oh well i guess thats what i get for using fluxbox

zulaica
17th August 2004, 01:16 AM
nah, not stupid at all. there's just different ways of doing things on different desktops. hopefully someone well-versed in fluxbox can lend a helping hand.

Lugh
23rd August 2004, 07:01 AM
This first tutorial is really easy to follow. However, when I get to the

vim /etc/fstab

phase, the thing seems to hang. I bet it is part of that 'no athlon' support. I've got a Athlon 1600

strikeforce
23rd August 2004, 07:18 AM
Try

vi /etc/fstab
or
nano /etc/fstab

WebWind
23rd August 2004, 12:03 PM
Or try gedit /etc/fstab

Kozmodemyansk Travel Photos - Colmar Photos on Instagram - Arbutus Travel Photos