PDA

View Full Version : grip unable to initialize /dev/cdrom

wrightjj
7th December 2004, 09:10 AM
I just installed FC3 and updated the system. I didn't have permissions to cdrom and cdwriter until I updated that udev package and now everything is cool expect for k3b and grip. I can mount and open cd's on both drives but when I try to use grip I get and error that it can't initialize /dev/cdrom. Now I realize that there was no cdrom in /dev/ so I created a symbolic link "ln -s hdc /dev/cdrom" because grip is set to read from /dev/cdrom. Still doesn't work. I tried setting grip to read from my other drive /dev/cdwriter and it was a success. I'm now ripping cd's but I'm still not happy that /dev/cdrom isn't right. Also in k3b, it won't recognize that same drive but it recognizes my cdwriter. Burned a cd successfully, but still, why won't it pick up the other drive? I don't understand why I can mount discs on this drive yet grip, k3b, and kscd are all having problems with it. I googled the problem and found that maybe I shoud change my /etc/fstab file but quite frankly I don't know what I'm doing with it. So here it is:

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom auto pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

Does anyone have any ideas?

brahms
7th December 2004, 12:53 PM
Do you have _today's_ udev update (udev-039-10.FC3.5)?

$ rpm -q --changelog udev
* Mon Dec 06 2004 Harald Hoyer <harald@redhat.com> - 039-10.FC3.5

- fixed udev.rules for cdrom symlinks (bug 141897)
Update to this one and reboot. Worked for me.

jayemef
7th December 2004, 01:58 PM
And if this doesn't work, try listing the conents of /dev (ls /dev) and see if your cdrom is named something else. Mine is /dev/cdwriter, so I entered that in grip and all was good .

wrightjj
8th December 2004, 02:46 AM
ah yes, i had udev-039-10.FC3.4
i had just updated it a week ago so i didn't think that there'd be a new one already
i updated to udev-039-10.FC3.5 and my problem is solved
thank you

Grey_Fox
19th February 2005, 04:28 AM
How do you get udev? through YUM or through RHN update?

Grey_Fox
19th February 2005, 04:44 AM
How do you get udev? through YUM or through RHN update?