PDA

View Full Version : Pacenet demystified

mndar
23rd October 2005, 08:55 PM
This one is for all those from India using the connection of ISP, Pacenet
Pacenet provides you with a dialer that works only under Windows and you are forced to use it. To use their connection under Linux, you have to apply for a linux id which is userid@linuxuser. Using this ID you can connect to Pacenet with the regular windows broadband pppoe dialer too. Under linux you connect using rp-pppoe.
I didn't like the idea of having two UserIDs. So I found a little trick
Pacenet 'encrypts' the password which works as follows. Take notice of the word encrypt. You'll probably laugh when you read the rest of this post
1> Each character of your password is represented for 4 digits.
2> The first three digits divided by the fourth gives the ASCII value of the character
Thats it, its as simple as that. Here is an example to make it clearer. Suppose your password is 123 then

character ASCII value(first 3 digits) Fourth digit Calculation Four digit representation of character
1 049 1 049*1=049 0491
2 050 2 050*2=100 1002
3 051 3 051*3=153 1533

Therefore your 'encrypted' password will be 049110021533
This is just one example. You can use any fourth digit upto 5(thats what pacenet does)
Anyway, a simple C program can be used to calculate a 'encrypted' password
The password isn't time dependent. The password generated once can be used anytime. Therefore the 'encryption' doesn't make much sense

You can now use this password under Linux with your original UserId!

aniketv
14th November 2005, 07:30 PM
thanks man.......
you are great
i will try it out
But what to do for a string
eg "monkey"???

ilja
14th November 2005, 07:42 PM
moved to the howto section

Twey
14th November 2005, 07:55 PM
http://www.asciitable.com/

aniketv
14th November 2005, 08:05 PM
thats ok. but how to multilpy with say "a"??????

mndar
14th November 2005, 09:25 PM
I have written a small C Program to find out the equivalent password to be used with regular dialers
Here is the program.

//password.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>

int main(int argc,char *argv[])
{
int i,multiplier,value;
char pass[21],encrypted[81]="",temp[5];

strcpy(pass,argv[1]);
srand(time( NULL ) );
for(i=0;i<strlen(pass);i++)
{ multiplier=rand()%6;
if(multiplier==0) multiplier++;
value=(int)pass[i]*multiplier;
if(value<100) sprintf(temp,"0%d%d",value,multiplier);
else sprintf(temp,"%d%d",value,multiplier);
strcat(encrypted,temp);

}
printf("%s\n",encrypted);
return 0;
}

Compile: gcc -o password password.c
USAGE: ./password <your-password>
The password calculated once can be used anytime. Therefore the process doesn't make any sense.
To manually calculate the password, you need to know the ASCII values.
for example A-Z is 65-90 , a-z is 97-122, 0-9 is 48 - 57.
Then just follow the rules given in the first post

aniketv
15th November 2005, 03:51 PM
the c++ program you gave is gr8, but it gives different results in successive attempts!!!( u said it was time independent). But what the heck...all of them work!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twey
15th November 2005, 05:03 PM
If you look at the process described in the first post, you'll see that there is more than one possible mutation for one password. Hence the different results.

mndar
16th November 2005, 09:43 AM
Whatever password is generated can be used anytime . Which is the reason I said that the 'encryption' doesn't make any sense. Now who is gonna explain this to Pacenet!

mndar
16th November 2005, 09:45 AM
As I mentioned in the first post

The password isn't time dependent. The password generated once can be used anytime. Therefore the 'encryption' doesn't make much sense
Now, whoz gonna explain this to Pacenet!

aniketv
16th November 2005, 03:23 PM
Who wants to explain to Pacenet!! I dont want them upgrading their system so that we will have to use some **** dialer in linux too.!!

mndar
6th August 2007, 08:14 PM
This thread is way too old to be updated but just for archival purposes, here is a link to a javascript based password 'calculator' in case you don't wanna use the C program posted above.
Go here http://mndar.phpnet.us/pacenet/QuickCalc.html
OR here http://www.geocities.com/emailmandar/InfoCenter1.html#pacenet and click on the Quick Calc button

Edit: If you are using NoScript, you'll have to allow the site/page to run Javascript.