PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 4 - Console Support?!

naous
25th November 2005, 08:42 AM
Hello,

I'm very satisfied with the Fedora Core 4. As a lazy supporter, I've done a full installation on my home computer and suddenly I've realised that there is no native, text console support. Is this normal?

I have KDE Konsole, Gnome Console, but when I hit ctrl + alt + f1 no tty is displayed but a black screen.

I've checked with the Debian in my office and the console processes are initiated by the getty app which definitely can't be located on my FC4 installation.

Any thoughts will be higly appreciated.

markkuk
25th November 2005, 08:51 AM
It's not normal, most likely you have a problem with the display drivers. What display card do you have? Have you updated your system with the latest xorg-x11 packages?

naous
25th November 2005, 08:54 AM
I'm using a on-board asus video card, but it keeps high resolution in the X windows 1280 x 1024 .. if this is a proov that the drivers are okay? How do I update the xorg-x11 packages?

a thing
25th November 2005, 10:01 AM
Why would X have anything to do with tty devices...?

hipnaba
27th November 2005, 07:28 AM
Hello,

I have the same issue. And when i press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE, X exits into.......nothing.
Where are my ttys?

Are we missing a package because I chose a 'Desktop computer' installation. If so which packages should we install to get tty support. I would appreciate any help with this.

Thank you,
greetings from Croatia :)

markkuk
27th November 2005, 11:38 AM
X grabs the control of the display and keyboard, and a broken X driver may prevent switching to a text-mode screen.
If you have updated to the latest xorg-x11 version and can't switch virtual terminals (or exit X), file a bug report in theBugzilla (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/).

amitkrmalik
30th November 2005, 01:41 PM
I am also facing the same problem with FC4 on P4 2.66 with intel 915 motherboard. on ctrl + alt + f1 to f6 i get a black blank screen

sebnukem
1st December 2005, 12:36 AM
Do you see the /sbin/mingetty ttyN in your 'ps faux' output?

Do you create the ttys in your inittab?
from 1 to 6:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
:
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

Mat
1st December 2005, 01:09 AM
to test, whether X11 is the culprit, boot into runlevel 3, which will not start X

Mat

amitkrmalik
7th December 2005, 02:28 PM
i tried ps -faux it shows all the ttys active, and /etc/inittab contains all the statements as shown
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
:
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
i tried out to search out man mingetty is shows its obsolite,
my kernal version is 2.6.11-1

exe
7th December 2005, 06:26 PM
Ctrl-Alt-F1?

RahulSundaram
8th December 2005, 08:14 AM
Hello,

I'm very satisfied with the Fedora Core 4. As a lazy supporter, I've done a full installation on my home computer and suddenly I've realised that there is no native, text console support. Is this normal?

I have KDE Konsole, Gnome Console, but when I hit ctrl + alt + f1 no tty is displayed but a black screen.

I've checked with the Debian in my office and the console processes are initiated by the getty app which definitely can't be located on my FC4 installation.

Any thoughts will be higly appreciated.

Make sure you have all the updates

# yum update