This is for either mozilla or firefox.
NOTE: In future post, I and others have found errors in the list below. This list below should have all corrections..
NOTE: An idea another person had for this post is have a viewer of the post cut and paste the whole post to a text file. Then one can read it easier if browser's fonts are small. It is easy to miss a space.
NOTE: One needs to know exactly where each file and directory is on thier machine. Especially if using older or newer java releases or using the sdk releases. I will try to keep this post updated as newer versions come out. Will be adding a sdk section. When time allows.
NOTE: If anyone sees anything I missed or thinks of something would help, please let me know.
I will start from the beginning.
I will be using firefox as web browser. Can be found here at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Mozilla can be found at http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
My plugin folder is located here /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins . Your location maybe different. (standard for rpm version)
I will use jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin as the example. can be found at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
If you still have a clean install and have jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin then lets start from the top.
1. Download your jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin file.
2. Open a terminal.
3. Login as root by ' su - '. hit enter. Enter password. hit enter.
4. Goto the location where the jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin is stored.
5. Type ' chmod 777 jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin ' hit enter
6. Type ' ./jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin ' hit enter ( This extracts the file to be jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.rpm)
7. Now if you do not have Java installed follow steps 8 and 9. If you do goto step 10
8. Run a test to see if the rpm will install. It will not install it pretends it did. type ' rpm -ivh jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.rpm --test ' hit enter
9. If no errors then remove the --test part and install ' rpm -ivh jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.rpm ' goto step 12
10. If there was some error and have a previous version of java installed use ' rpm -Uvh jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.rpm --test '
11. Again if no problems remove the -- test and install using -Uvh ' rpm -Uvh jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.rpm '
12. Now type ' ./usr/java/jre1.5.0_o1/bin/java -version ' It should tell you version.
Additional things to do.
1. Type ' alternatives --remove java /usr/share/java/libgcj-java-placeholder.sh '
2. Type ' alternatives --set java /usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/bin/java '
It's only really useful with some (very few) of the Fedora java applications (scripts really), the
two above commands are not really needed other wise.
3. Create soft link of java to /usr/bin ' ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/bin/java /usr/bin/java
4. Type ' java -version ' to see what java version is running.
Now for the plugin. (NOTE: For java plugin requires to be a soft link, not a hard link.)
1. Do you know where your firefox plugin folder is?
2. If you installed firefox from and rpm then it should be at /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins .
3. Lets be sure goto to that point and see that it exist.
4. Now you know where the plugin folder is? Correct?
5. Make sure there is no current link of a previous install in the plugin Folder. Correct?
6. Now there are two plugins ( NOTE: some older versions of Java relaeses contain 3 different one ) available, but only one will work. It all depends on the mozilla engine build.
For fiefox the ns7 works most of the time. In mozilla the same but sometimes the ns7-gcc2 one.
7.Lets use the ns7 one for firefox-1.0
type ' ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
7a. For Mozilla 1.7.3 using ns7 plugin
type ' ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.3/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
7b. This usually works on most systems for both mozilla and firefox.
type ' ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
8. If there is a previous soft link from an earlier version of java add the -f to the above command. This overwrite the previous soft link.
type ' ln -fs /usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
To the Browser.
8. Open Firefox
9. In the address bar type ' about
: plugins ' There is no space in between : p in that command. I have to write it that way so you could see it.
10. Is java plugin there?
If browser crashes on startup:
Then you are using the wrong plugin try one of the other ones. Depending on what gcc version was used on the compiling of mozilla or firefox is how which plugin to use.
This works better with java2 ver 1.5.0 or greater
To remove java:
If it is an RPM file is to do ' rpm -e jre ' This command will remove all rpm's starting with jre.
If it was a source install then one needs to run the command ' make uninstall ', but only if source is still installed.
The current SDK Java with Netbeans and IDE release works like this. I installed jdk-1_5_0_01-nb-4_0-bin-linux.bin as follows.
1. Make it executable and run the command as ./jdk-1_5_0_01-nb-4_0-bin-linux.bin
2. Follow the install.
3. Changed the install directories from /opt/java to /bin/java. Same for the other.
4. Install the plugin as above.
" Google the Linux way @ http://www.google.com/linux