30th October 2004, 01:56 PM
Retired Community Manager
Join Date: Mar 2004
Audio creating software and some other related links
Past days I have been looking for audio creating software and have found some useful resources. I thought it would be nice to share them with you.
- The biggest list of audio software links I have found:
Sound & MIDI Software For Linux and one page alternative of it (I recommend to check both of them).
This is quite a huge list so I have planned to point out the most important ones in the future. At the moment I point out only programs that I had found before I found this link. Actually I even think that they are the main ones in some cases. So here they are:
"Must have tools":
Agnula, JACK Audio Connection Kit (+ Qt GUI Interface, JAMin), www.plugin.org.uk (LADSPA, MAIA)
Ardour, RoseGarden, Ecasound
Csound, Swami (+ FluidSynth), FluidSynth (+ Qsynth), SoundFaction, aRts, ZynAddSubFX, terminatorX
NB! Please note that these programs may not be categorized correctly, because I didn't go deep inside looking for what they really are. Some programs can be universal and do different things.
- www.LinuxDJ.com - lists some useful links like:
Linux Audio Developers Mailing List
- CCRMA - Cender for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics
Planet CCRMA at Home - collection of rpms that you can add to a computer running RedHat 7.3, 8.0, 9 or Fedora Core 1 to transform it into an audio workstation with a low-latency kernel, current ALSA audio drivers and a nice set of music, midi, audio and video applications.
- dyne:bolic - a free multimedia studio in a GNU/Linux live CD - dyne:bolic is shaped on the needs of media activists, artists and creatives as a practical tool for multimedia production: you can manipulate and broadcast both sound and video with tools to record, edit, encode and stream, having automatically recognized most device and peripherals: audio, video, TV, network cards, firewire, usb and more; all using only free software!
- Linux And Music - an article you just have to read.
That was hours of surfing and actually I found much more, but these are the main ones.
With best wishes,
PS. I will update this post if I find some cool new links.
Last edited by PeTzZz; 28th January 2005 at 09:33 PM.