Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th April 2011, 01:01 PM
JuliusV Offline

windows_7chrome
F15 Network Manager -> not working

Hi there,

I have recently installed F15 and on of the troubles I am having is with the Network Manager. First the Network Manager isn't shown in the top bar, as it used to be in F14. I have to go to System Configuration to go to Network Manager. The Network Manager however doesn't show any wireless network, but I am sure there is one (which I am using now with Windows 7 <-- excuse my foul language).

When I go to Network Connections there is a pop-up saying that my network isn't compatible? Does anyone now how to fix my problem? I haven't been able to try internet with cable yet.

Cheers,

Julius

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

Maybe this problem is related to my F15-kernel missing? http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=261400
Old 13th April 2011, 01:11 PM
bennachie Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F15 Network Manager -> not working

Network manager is definitely flaky, and doesn't appear handle mobile broadband properly at the moment (odd, since Ubuntu 11.04 and openSUSE 11.4 do the same job very smoothly). That having been said, I can access network manager from the panel, and I've had no difficulty making wireless connections, so I think that your problems may indeed be related to your earlier, and more fundamental, issues.
Old 13th April 2011, 01:24 PM
JuliusV Offline

windows_7chrome

Some additional info:

The exact 'error'-message is: "The system network services are not compatible with this version."

Furthermore internet is also disabled when I use a cable, so it's not only wireless (unfortunately).
Old 13th April 2011, 06:47 PM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi

Do report bugs via bugzilla. Problems reported here don't reach the developers involved.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:39 PM
JuliusV Offline

windows_7chrome

Filed as bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=696278
Old 16th April 2011, 05:56 AM
JuliusV Offline

linuxchrome

Apparently this was easily fixed by going to the terminal and starting the NetworkManager:

# NetworkManager

Unfortunately my network stays unstable. It runs smoothly on Windows7 (and F13), but on F15 the connection is lost every few minutes.

"Error 137 (net::ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED): Unknown error." Google Chrome
Old 18th April 2011, 11:03 AM
anishjp Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hopefully this will be sorted out in the official release of F15
Old 18th April 2011, 01:05 PM
bennachie Offline

linuxmintfirefox

And now abideth faith, hope and charity, these three - and the greatest of these is charity.

Both the Ubuntu and the Fedora (Gnome) developers have a lot of balls in the air just at the moment, and I suspect that, once released, each distribution will receive a good many updates over the next few months.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:17 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

There's no general problem with this; I think Julius has got his install messed up somehow, but not entirely sure how. NM's GNOME 3 interface is missing a few bits in terms of complex wireless cases (WPA2 Enterprise) and mobile broadband, and it has issues with hidden networks, but basic wired, wireless and VPN stuff should work and does for most testers, as far as we're aware.

A good generic workaround for 'NM's GNOME 3 interface is missing something!' is 'run nm-connection-editor', btw.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 19th April 2011, 03:48 AM
DokterW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennachie View Post
...openSUSE 11.4 do the same job very smoothly...
Are you thinking about the openSUSE GNOME 3 LiveCD, because if you upgrade the regular openSUSE 11.4 to GNOME 3 you might have a lot of work ahead of you.

I was curious about getting GNOME 3 and starting to use openSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling release). But after hanging out in the openSUSE forums it became clear that both are far to new to the openSUSE devs. Some of the forum mods actually complained about it on the forum that the devs haven't given enough warnings regarding GNOME 3 and Tumbleweed.

Hopefully they get mobile broadband working. It's not that I use it that often, but it's onne of those things that are very, very handy to have.

Asus Eee PC 1000H — Fedora 17
Old 19th April 2011, 06:26 AM
bennachie Offline

linuxfirefox

No, I meant the mainstream openSUSE 11.4, which doesn't use the Gome 3 shell, so perhaps it wasn't the best example to cite (I have sampled the G3 OpenSUSE LiveCD, but decided my time would be better directed to Fedora). My comments about Ubuntu 11.04 are fair enough, though, since Unity and Gnome G3 Shell rely on the same Gnome substructure. Indeed, as AdamW has pointed out, if you bypass the G3 Shell, you can get the mobile broadband connection job done in F15 Beta.

At this stage, for normal desktop users, Unity works reasonably well although, like G3 Shell, you do need to learn a few keyboard shortcuts just to work at the same speed as you would have expected to achieve with the old interface. The global menu in Unity is definitely an acquired taste (and I've never been all that keen about the similar, long-established, MacOSX arrangement either).

G3 Shell is really very pretty, and shows a lot of promise, but is rather less functionally complete than Unity just at the moment. The competition between the two desktop shells should ultimately be good for the breed, though I suspect that the popularity of KDE may increase noticeably over the next twelve months or so!

@AdamW, I think that having both mobile broadband and WPA2 accessible through the GUI is pretty important for real-life users, and the absence of such a facility should really be a release blocker for F15. Command-line techniques shouldn't be needed in a desktop shell that lays great store on being intuitive and flexible.
Old 19th April 2011, 06:37 AM
DokterW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
A good generic workaround for 'NM's GNOME 3 interface is missing something!' is 'run nm-connection-editor', btw.
Thanks for the tip!

Managed to add my N900, but I'm still not able to turn on Mobile Broadband. I guess that's why it's still in beta.

Old 19th April 2011, 06:54 AM
arowana Offline

macosopera

For mobile broadband and the Gnome 3 NM: connecting a mobile device gives me "mobile broadband" as a menu option after some seconds. Trying to edit mobile broadband in "Network Settings" gives me nothing. No options or anything. Like it is not a bug and not working - but simply left out.

In classic Gnome 2 Network Manager i still managed to get it going with two different devices.
Old 19th April 2011, 06:59 AM
DokterW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by arowana View Post
For mobile broadband and the Gnome 3 NM: connecting a mobile device gives me "mobile broadband" as a menu option after some seconds. Trying to edit mobile broadband in "Network Settings" gives me nothing. No options or anything. Like it is not a bug and not working - but simply left out.

In classic Gnome 2 Network Manager i still managed to get it going with two different devices.
I have the same experience. Can't switch on Mobile Broadband and it is futile to press the 'Options' button. Nothing happens.

I did run 'nm-connection-editor' and managed to add my N900, but it still won't turn on Mobile Broadband. But it's still beta, so we just have to hope it gets fixed for the final release.

Old 19th April 2011, 07:03 PM
elliotsagan Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
There's no general problem with this; I think Julius has got his install messed up somehow, but not entirely sure how. NM's GNOME 3 interface is missing a few bits in terms of complex wireless cases (WPA2 Enterprise) and mobile broadband, and it has issues with hidden networks, but basic wired, wireless and VPN stuff should work and does for most testers, as far as we're aware.

Hi!
Thank you very much for the workaround. I am new to Linux and I was able to solve the NM problem.
Regards

Tags
f15, network connections, network manager, wireless