Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th February 2012, 07:45 PM
tamtam Offline

linuxfirefox
Unhappy Grub not found after OpenSuse install

I installed Open Suse today on my system as another Os. Now it did install the grub to /sda the first disk MBR.
It did recognise windows on /sda. It did try to determine my slackware system. It failed to recognise fedora.

That's okay I thought as fedora is on the MBR of the second disk /sdb. I did try and add fedora, and thought I had to Open Suse's grub.

On reboot, open suse booted okay.
Then I tried slackware. Failed.
Then I tried windows. Okay.
To finish of I tried Fedora. Failed.

Okay I could boot slackware and fedora from the second disk MBR /sdb where the fedora installation of grub is pointing to. Rebooted and changed boot order to the second disk. That failed with unable to locate grub mesage.

What went wrong and how to modify.
Old 28th February 2012, 09:50 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Grub not found after OpenSuse install

I don't know what went wrong. Sorry. But FWIW, this is not exactly unheard of. Especially lately.

I guess this is GRUB 2 you're talking about, so my recommendation is to surrender now and just create custom entries for Slackware and Fedora in SUSE's /etc/grub.d/40_custom.

Maybe somebody else will have a better idea.

Tags
grub, install, opensuse