Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th February 2012, 05:56 AM
jeb3121 Offline

linuxfirefox
How do I install a .tar.bz2 file

Hi all,

After having major problems(boot refusal) with F16-64 full version I'm now running F16-64 live CD.

One aspect I want to check is the drive dedicated to linux, so I d/l testdisk-6.13.linux24.tar.bz2
and it's now in Home/Downloads. Not being familiar with live CD, if it's not there when I boot up again I'll just d/l it again(Firefox is new each time I reboot).

Since I haven't progressed past the yum search/install xxx.rpm stage, I would really appreciate a rundown on how to install .tar.bz2 software.

Thanks in advance for the help,
jeb3121

As a side-note, I first installed F15 before going to F16-64. When I decided to make the change to F16 I went to winxp disk manager andf removed the partition(I know, I know...remember, bottom of the learning curve ). However, when I had problems reinstalling F16 I went back to xpdm to be told that the drive partition was "protected" and couldn't be removed. Is this protection going to be the case for all further releases?
Old 25th February 2012, 06:07 AM
tox

windows_7firefox
Re: How do I install a .tar.bz2 file

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb3121 View Post
Hi all,

After having major problems(boot refusal) with F16-64 full version I'm now running F16-64 live CD.

One aspect I want to check is the drive dedicated to linux, so I d/l testdisk-6.13.linux24.tar.bz2
and it's now in Home/Downloads. Not being familiar with live CD, if it's not there when I boot up again I'll just d/l it again(Firefox is new each time I reboot).

Since I haven't progressed past the yum search/install xxx.rpm stage, I would really appreciate a rundown on how to install .tar.bz2 software.

Thanks in advance for the help,
jeb3121

As a side-note, I first installed F15 before going to F16-64. When I decided to make the change to F16 I went to winxp disk manager andf removed the partition(I know, I know...remember, bottom of the learning curve ). However, when I had problems reinstalling F16 I went back to xpdm to be told that the drive partition was "protected" and couldn't be removed. Is this protection going to be the case for all further releases?
didnt you think to use Google on how to install a tarball? could of saved urself a post if you had of done that . there's also generally a README.txt file in that tarball on install instructions.
Old 25th February 2012, 06:52 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

First step (Assuming that the tar file is legit)

Code:
 tar xf filename.tar
Follow the instructions (hopefully) in the readme ...
Old 25th February 2012, 10:08 AM
EvilRedHorse Offline

windows_7firefox

Your problem is you are running a live cd/dvd
you will need some writable space to extract and install your program because you can't install to ram and expect it to be there when you reboot

# use tar in this fashion
tar -jxvf *.tar.bz2 /tmp
Old 25th February 2012, 02:12 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb3121

For that purpose, I don't think you will like testdisk anyway. Testdisk is a specialized utility mostly for recovering lost partitions and data. Try fdisk, parted, or gparted for studying the existing partition layout.

Quote:

I would really appreciate a rundown on how to install .tar.bz2 software.
In addition to the advice already given on that matter, it's good to know that testdisk is in the fedora repo. It can be installed simply with yum install testdisk. And that's true even in a live system. I install things in live systems every now and then when I'm using them for some maintenance issue and need a utility not included with them.

Quote:

However, when I had problems reinstalling F16 I went back to xpdm to be told that the drive partition was "protected" and couldn't be removed. Is this protection going to be the case for all further releases?
I've never heard of that situation before. Anyway, you should reconsider using a Windows disk manager to manipulate partitions when there are Linux partitions present. One day I used the XP Disk Management utility to reformat an NTFS partition. There were some Linux partitions on the hard drive that weren't even near the job being done, but they disappeared. I still use XP, but I never use its Disk Management utility to do anything but look at partitions when Linux partitions are present. GParted is my preferred partition manager and has never harmed anything of mine (Windows, Linux, or otherwise).
Old 25th February 2012, 04:49 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
However, when I had problems reinstalling F16 I went back to xpdm to be told that the drive partition was "protected" and couldn't be removed. Is this protection going to be the case for all further releases?
I remeber seeing this sometime back but unfortunately I do not remember what caused it. I know how I solved it though - I used a gparted live CD and formatted the HDD as I wanted without touching the windows partition and reinstalled Fedora. After this, everything had been normal.

Sorry! I did not read your full post before - just saw the installing tar part of it ...
Old 27th February 2012, 03:10 AM
jeb3121 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
I remeber seeing this sometime back but unfortunately I do not remember what caused it. I know how I solved it though - I used a gparted live CD and formatted the HDD as I wanted without touching the windows partition and reinstalled Fedora. After this, everything had been normal....
Hi nonamedotc,

Based on my beginner's ignorance, may I ask how to:

make a gparted live CD(modify my current CD?),

how to use it(my command line skills are negligible)?

I have a 300G 2nd drive dedicated to linux installation and since upgrading to F16(1st to full version which started ok but then degenerated after which I thought a live CD would let me avoid the parts I don't want - like Braille and a myriad of others ) I've had app-running, rescue, reinstall and install problems.

With live CD Install to Hard Disk I thought the process would do the job but each time I tried the Installer would stop at a particular point: Creating ext4 filesystem on/dev/mapper/vg_compname-lv_home

I certainly would appreciate any help.

jeb3121
Old 27th February 2012, 03:27 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Hi nonamedotc,

Based on my beginner's ignorance, may I ask how to:

make a gparted live CD(modify my current CD?),

how to use it(my command line skills are negligible)?

As far as gparted live goes, here is the link to the project page. Creating the live CD for gparted is no different from creating the Fedora live CD. So, there should not be any problems there I think.

You do not need to use command line when using gparted live. There will be option to use GUI and it is reasonably straight forward. You will see all your partitions even if they are encrypted (usually). So, do not worry!

But, remember, you are basically wiping the HDD if you opt to do this. It worked for me when I reinstalled but *might* not be the case. So, keep reinstall only as the last option.
Old 27th February 2012, 12:33 PM
jeb3121 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
As far as gparted live goes, here is the link to the project page. Creating the live CD for gparted is no different from creating the Fedora live CD. So, there should not be any problems there I think.

You do not need to use command line when using gparted live. There will be option to use GUI and it is reasonably straight forward. You will see all your partitions even if they are encrypted (usually). So, do not worry!

But, remember, you are basically wiping the HDD if you opt to do this. It worked for me when I reinstalled but *might* not be the case. So, keep reinstall only as the last option.
Hi,

Just coming from the other thread I stopped by sourceforge to be stymied there. They say version 0.11.0-10 live is stable so I tried to d/l that. The response was a red popup: Unable to find any mirror info for live-stable /0.11.0-10 or the same .iso

I wandered around sourceforge and clicked on a number of links for latest stable version but they all led back to the same page and popup.

Regarding the HDD, since it's solely used for Fedora I'd LIKE to wipe it clean. Hopefully, using F16-64 live CD will allow me to start with basics and add items as I need them. Interestingly, the full version has both Mozilla mail and browser but the live has only FF. As a result I either do my mail in XP or go to my provider via FF.

Any way, I wonder if sourceforge is having problems or just me.

jeb3121
Old 27th February 2012, 01:40 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

The iso link on this page works here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpar...able/0.12.0-2/
Old 27th February 2012, 03:30 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

The download link under the banner "Looking for ..." does not work for me either. But navigate in to the folder from the link given by sonoran and you should be able to download it.
Old 28th February 2012, 06:54 AM
jeb3121 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hi,

Going down to the gparted-live-0.12.0-2.iso worked great.

Now on to its use...

Thanks much to both of you.

jeb3121

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
For that purpose, I don't think you will like testdisk anyway. Testdisk is a specialized utility mostly for recovering lost partitions and data. Try fdisk, parted, or gparted for studying the existing partition layout.

I've never heard of that situation before. Anyway, you should reconsider using a Windows disk manager to manipulate partitions when there are Linux partitions present. One day I used the XP Disk Management utility to reformat an NTFS partition. There were some Linux partitions on the hard drive that weren't even near the job being done, but they disappeared. I still use XP, but I never use its Disk Management utility to do anything but look at partitions when Linux partitions are present. GParted is my preferred partition manager and has never harmed anything of mine (Windows, Linux, or otherwise).
Hi stoat,

A belated thank you for the response.

Using XPDM to add and remove the partition for my dedicated linux drive was my initial kludge and worked OK for installing F15 and 16FV. When I tried to reinstall F16 I found the protected situation.

I now have gparted live and will retire testdisk to correct partition deletion.

Thanks again,
jeb3121

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

Hi All,

Attempting to use gparted Live Disk I find myself confused(how unusual, eh? ;~) . Opening in default leads to multiple screens of text, followed by a blue screen with a gray popup in the middle. The popup is full of difficult-to-read text except for one line in a red block which says Don't Touch Keymap. After a short while the text resumes. I don't know where to insert commands or where to go with it.

On another note, using the F16-64 Live CD Disk Utility shows three partitions on my linux dedicated HD; two of them were: 1M Bios boot, 524M ext4, both of which I deleted.

AHA! I thought. Going to the Live CD Install to Hard Disk the process stopped at that old familiar place: ext4.

Back at the F16 LCDDU I tried to remove the last partition and then to format the whole drive. In each case the popup said No, the drive is in use.

And XPDM tells me the drive still has the "Protected" partition.

JEB3121
Old 1st March 2012, 12:01 AM
jeb3121 Offline

linuxfirefox
Solved Re: How do I install a .tar.bz2 file

Hi All,

I started this thread and others because of a Fedora installation problem and general ignorance of how to attack it. Somewhere in my F16-64 installation the partition in my linux-dedicated became "Protected." This prevented attempts to Install, Reinstall and Rescue.

After failing to find a software solution, I took the drive to the seller to see if it was failing. He did a low-level format which solved the problem. I did a Live CD Install and I'm off and running.

In going back and looking at my threads I find most of them still open. Still learning, I hope putting Solved in the title will close them.

Thanks to all for responses/direction/help.

jeb3121
Old 1st March 2012, 12:43 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Finally, you problem is solved! Glad!

Tags
file, install, tarbz2