Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:38 PM
pprice Offline

windows_7ie
Install hangs at gray screen

Hello:

I'm installing a new 16 from DVD to an ASUS P8 Z68 M-Pro motherboard with an i7 processor and 16 Gb Ram. I have tried using both the VGA and DVI video ports.

No matter what I do, the install get to the ISOLinux 4.02... prompt, the screen goes gray, there is a cursor flashing at the upper left hand corner, the Num Lock light flashes out and the machine hangs. I don't kow what to do to troubleshoot this.

I have done:
1 - made a CD from a boot.iso
2 - tried options: text, lowres, nofb, noprobe, nodma, noapic, allowcddma,
nopcmcia, nofirewire, expert, nousb, pci=noacpi, acpi=off, xdriver=vesa

I can check the DVD media booting on another PC, but I go through the same permutations above with linux mediacheck and I get the same results - without the gray screen though (black screen only).

I am able to test memory fine.
I have also removed all drives except the DVD to do the media check.
I have an identical hardware setup at work - same results.

Any hints?
Thanks in advance,
paul price

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

I found the solution to this one in a Ubuntu forum (sorry).
There is a bios setting to set the ASM1061 Storage Controller.
When this controller is set to disabled, the installation works without a problem.

I kept thinking that this was a video problem <groan>,
paul price

Tags
gray, hangs, install, screen