Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th April 2012, 05:18 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

windows_7chrome
Re: Sharing an external hard drive between Fedora 16 and Mac OSX "Leopard"

This thread is becoming increasingly interesting thanks to you guys

For starters I was not aware of the fact SMART tests could be "read-only": I'll definitely run them on a regular basis. I guess it "does not mind" how many partitions/file systems the machine has, does it?

I also find the "mirroring" option quite interesting, so I'll see how to implement it.

Thanks,
Joe.

Netbook: Acer Aspire One A150
Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz, 1.5 GB DDR2 PC2-4200, Intel Graphics (8MB?), 160GB Seagate HDD
Fedora 15 i686
Old 15th April 2012, 05:42 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: Sharing an external hard drive between Fedora 16 and Mac OSX "Leopard"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.pelayo View Post
I guess it "does not mind" how many partitions/file systems the machine has, does it?
The smartmontools commands are directed at a device. The firmware in that device is what actually does the analysis and reporting, and as such is completely unaware of partition tables, partitions, file systems, etc.

Realize many USB bridge chipsets suck, and don't pass through ATA commands needed for SMART and Secure Erase. So it's possible the external disk can't be monitored.

Quote:
I also find the "mirroring" option quite interesting, so I'll see how to implement it.
rsync can do incremental syncs, sending only changed files. If your data files are large, you might look at rdiff which can find only what's changed in the files, and sends delta files to the other computer, which will save quite a bit on bandwidth consumption. If that's even a concern.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/USB

Tags
drive, external, fedora, hard, leopard, mac, osx, sharing