FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: spyware detection

Quote Originally Posted by foampile
    my Yahoo passwd got stolen twice in the last week and someone sent out SPAM from my account. my suspicion is that it is some keystroke sequence spyware kind of deal... never happened to me before on Windows

what are the best ways to protect myself in F16?

thanks
    You are not alone. My wife's yahoo got taken over, and two of my friends yahoo email got taken over, just recently. The hacker uses the email to send spam, "make thousands daily by using you laptop!"
    Yahoo email, and Hotmail is notoriously easy to hack. The reason is, they are open servers. There is a simple code that the hacker, who knows your username, sends to [pw_retrieved@yahoo.com] and the yahoo server faithfully emails the hacker your password.
    These codes are available on the internet, do not kid yourself that people do not search for them. It is always best to use the email servive of your Internet Provider, most offer lots of space and many security features you don't get with public email servers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can check your machine with ntop and tcpdump. However, the probability of having a bug on your machine is extremely remote. It is usually the servers that get hacked.

Your only defence is to use loooooooong passwords and not to store important stuff on public mail servers. Delete messages once they are read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you attached usb flash device to another pc?

BTW, i doubt there is much more chance to key-logging on windows.

once stolen, then it has been used for while quietly, until you changed the os to linux, that my wild guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Yaar
    I don'nt know about it

John the train is offline Techno-Womble - Retired Community Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Magickman
    You are not alone. My wife's yahoo got taken over, and two of my friends yahoo email got taken over, just recently. The hacker uses the email to send spam, "make thousands daily by using you laptop!"
    Yahoo email, and Hotmail is notoriously easy to hack. The reason is, they are open servers. There is a simple code that the hacker, who knows your username, sends to [pw_retrieved@yahoo.com] and the yahoo server faithfully emails the hacker your password.
    These codes are available on the internet, do not kid yourself that people do not search for them. It is always best to use the email servive of your Internet Provider, most offer lots of space and many security features you don't get with public email servers.
    There was a news item the other day about Hotmail accounts being hi-jacked, reportedly using a capability of Firefox - though that may be MS mis-information - reportedly MS have now fixed the vulnerability. I wonder?
    To get the right answer, one must first ask the right question!
    Desktop F20 ( 64 bit )
    Laptop F20 ( 32 bit )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12