<---- template headericclude ----->
[SOLVED] Sharing files, folders, and printers between Red Hat Fedora and Microsoft Windows 7
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sharing files, folders, and printers between Red Hat Fedora and Microsoft Windows 7

Hi. I have an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC with 8.00 GB of dual-channel DDR3 1,066 MHz SDRAM and an Intel 2nd Generation 2.5" MLC NAND FLASH X25-M 160.00 GB Solid State Drive running Red Hat Fedora 16 64 bit GNU/Linux. I followed the instructions to install and configure SAMBA and IPP. I am able to connect to my Canon Pixma MX870 multi-function printer and I can print documents and images to my MFP properly. My family has a Sony VAIO VPCEB35FX notebook PC running Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium and an ASUS EEE PC netbook running Microsoft Windows 7 32 bit Starter Edition. I set my home networking group to MSHOME. I can not share the contents of my Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1.5 TB USB 2 and Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3.00 TB USB 3 hard disk drives with my family and vice versa.

How do I fix this problem so that I can share my folders and files with them? In other words, they use a Microsoft Windows 7 homegroup to connect to each other. How do I configure my Samba Server so that I can connect to their homegroup and share folders and files? I have the password for the homegroup. Alternatively, is there another method to get them to connect to my Samba Server so that they can find the contents of both of my Seagate external hard disk drives and vice versa? How do I configure that?

I know that this must be a simple solution because I figured out the most difficult parts by following the guide carefully. I setup my firewall to allow Samba and Samba-client and echo ping and echo pong. I added my father and my mother as normal users to my Red Hat Fedora 64 bit system and I set their passwords accordingly so they should have access when I figure out how to connect them to my Samba Server. I permitted read access, but I forbade write access to my Seagate hard disk drives because that is how I want it to be. Now, I have to figure out how I can get their Microsoft Windows 7 systems to see my Samba Server and connect.

Please help me if you can with detailed step-by-step instructions. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

I followed this guide:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/01/...lin-via-samba/

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

I also followed the SMB guide in post #2:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=94257

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

I can see my Windows network and the computer name, but I can not log in to it. It requires a user name and password and I put in everything that I remember entering in the Samba Server configuration plus the Windows 7 32 bit Starter Edition user IDs and password and nothing works.

Can someone please help me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Sharing files, folders, and printers between Red Hat Fedora and Microsoft Windows

Can anyone help me?

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=264209

This helped me to learn how to turn on SMB and NMB when I boot or reboot my computer.

---------- Post added at 04:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 AM ----------

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=266706

This taught me how to configure SELinux for Samba so that other computers can access my drives, folders, and files.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Sharing files, folders, and printers between Red Hat Fedora and Microsoft Windows

First thing I would do is temporarily turn off selinux. Open a terminal and type
    PHP Code:
    setenforce 0 
    Now see if you can gain access to the drives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My family is sleeping at this hour as it is 04:15 AM EST right now. The Seagate external hard disk drives store my music and movies libraries separately and I already followed the directions to add my family members as authorized users with their own IDs and passwords and I enabled read only access to my Seagate drives. The data is in my bedroom so I have no problems accessing it from my ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC. I am going to wait until everybody wakes up and then I will check her computer to see if she and I can access our folders and files on the network. I will have to change his computer's workgroup name and name his PC and I am going to need to reboot his computer to let the changes take into effect later this morning.

I do not want to turn off NSA SELinux temporarily or permanently in order to make this work.

Thanks for the tip. I will keep it in mind.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu
    I do not want to turn off NSA SELinux temporarily or permanently in order to make this work. Thanks for the tip. I will keep it in mind.
    I suggested that just to see if selinux is getting in the way. If you can't turn it off for 2 minutes then I can't help you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay. I will take your advice. After I temporarily turn off NSA SELinux, what should I do next?

My family has not woken up from sleep yet. I need access to their laptops running Microsoft Windows 7 to check my work.

I am going to have to work on this project later this afternoon after 3 PM EST.

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

I typed in sudo setenforce 0 and I typed in sestatus to ensure that NSA SElinux was temporarily turned off. Now, no one can see one another's computers on the network between Windows 7 and Red Hat Fedora 64 bit GNU/Linux. I need help to resolve this problem soon.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turn it back on then. setenforce 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glennzo:

I can work on this for a couple more minutes. I have access to her computer and she is logged in. How can I make this work? I need to see my computer and her computer on the same PENGUIN homegroup and we need to be able to log into each other's computers and access my Seagate hard disk drives with my music and movies folders.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

I am making a little progress here.

She has an ASUS EEE PC netbook running Microsoft Windows 7 32 bit Starter Edition. She can see my computer on the local area network. It is called N61JV-X2. She can see my truecrypt1 and truecrypt4 volumes, but she can not access the data in those volumes. Microsoft Windows 7 says that she has insufficient permissions.

I can not see her computer in Nautilus at all.

How do I fix this problem so that we can share files and folders together?

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1546249

This helped me to install the winbind packages which makes it possible for the Windows 7 computers to see my Fedora computer. However, they can not access my truecrypt volumes because they have insufficient permissions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I solved this problem. I simply went into Nautilus and I allowed read only access to others for both of my truecrypt1 and truecrypt4 volumes. It is fixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w..._And_Firewalls

I made some mistakes today. I followed the above guide to install and configure VSFTPD on my Red Hat Fedora 16 64 bit GNU/Linux operating system. I followed the section FTP Users with Only Read Access to a Shared Directory pretty carefully.

The problem is that my /media/truecrypt1 is no longer visible on my network. I typed in sudo chmod 750 /media/truecrypt1 and I later typed in sudo chmod 740 /media/truecrypt1. I also typed in sudo chown root:ftp-users /media/truecrypt1. When I lost access to my /media/truecrypt1 volume, I changed it to sudo chown wellywu:wellywu /media/truecrypt1. Now, I have access to my truecrypt1 volume, but no one else in my PENGUIN network does. My computer is no longer visible to the other computers running Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium or 7 32 bit Starter Edition. I do not know how to fix this problem.

Can someone help me?

I want my N61JV-X2 computer to be visible on the PENGUIN work group and I want my family members to be able to have read-only access to my truecrypt1 volume again.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

I don't know what happened, but the problem is partially resolved now. My mother's ASUS EEE PC netbook running Microsoft Windows 7 32 bit Starter Edition can see my computer and its truecrypt1 volume and she can login and access my data. This is the most critical function that I need to work consistently. I will ask my father to check his computer to see if he can access my truecrypt1 volume on his Sony VAIO laptop running Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium or not. If my mother's computer can access my truecrypt1 volume, then his computer should be able to do so too.

Now, I have a problem. I can not login to either my mother or father's computers. We are in the same PENGUIN domain. On my mother's computer, it requires a user ID and password. I entered all of the correct login credentials for both of our accounts and I can not login. I have an Administrator account on her ASUS EEE PC netbook running Microsoft Windows 7 32 bit Starter Edition. I also have access to her standard Windows user account as well so I have full access to her computer. I do not have access to my father's Sony VAIO laptop whatsoever. When I try to access his computer, it says Opening KW-VAIO and it just hangs there. Then, it tells me that it is unable to mount the location. It also says it failed to retrieve the share list from the server.

How do I enable complete folder and file sharing in the same PENGUIN domain among my computers? I am running Red Hat Fedora 16 64 bit GNU/Linux with the Samba Server and Samba Client along with Winbind services turned on every time I power on or reboot my N61JV-X2 notebook PC. My mother has an ASUS EEE PC Netbook running Microsoft Windows 7 32 bit Starter Edition with Symantec Norton 360 version 5. My father has a Sony VAIO laptop running Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium with Symantec Norton 360.

Should I investigate the personal firewall settings in Symantec Norton 360 version 5 more closely?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo
    First thing I would do is temporarily turn off selinux. Open a terminal and type
    PHP Code:
    setenforce 0 
    Now see if you can gain access to the drives.
    not sure why but after millions of hours trying I forgot to check my selinux settings... Thanks for reminding me that when I over think I forgeth the little things