<---- template headericclude ----->
Getting XGL or AIGLX working with Compiz OR Beryl!
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Getting XGL or AIGLX working with Compiz OR Beryl!

Note: This howto has been transferred to my blog here. (Instructions for Fedora 7+ can be found here)

Instructions for compiz-fusion have also been moved onto the blog

AIGLX & Xgl
    I've done a bit of research, and from my understanding, (please correct me if I'm wrong) Fedora and almost every other Linux else out there uses a variant of or the X server to display graphics. In Fedora's case it's called Xorg. Programs connect to the X server and from there you see the GUI the program's meant to display:
    Program > X server > Xorg > Graphics Card > Monitor
    The difference when you use AIGLX or Xgl is that there are added OpenGL (an implementation of 3D) calls to make all the fancy effects that you see like the wobbly-windows and such.

Xgl is basically a re-write of the existing X server, and replacing it with one that's using these new OpenGL calls:
    Program > X server > Xgl > Graphics Card > Monitor
    As you guessed, on one hand this is great because you get these really neat effects, but on the other isn't good at all because since it's replacing the existing X server, any future work done to it won't be done in Xgl. It won't matter how many cool new features come to Xorg, it will take longer or they won't get into Xgl because it's replacing the traditional X server. Additionally, users of Xgl will have to deal with Xgl's bugs - If you don't run Xgl, you won't be affected by Xgl bugs, right?

AIGLX is built-in to Xorg 7.x and up, which ships with FC6. AIGLX is a more incremental change than Xgl, seeing as it's adapted the existing Xorg server to use the new special calls. Here's the flow-chart for AIGLX:
    Program > X server > Xorg (with adapted calls) > Graphics Card > Monitor
    As you can see, nothing's has changed from the original chart. All that happened was Xorg developers had added an extension so you can still have the excellent Xorg server and all work that's done to it in the future, but also the really cool effects. This is why AIGLX is personally the path I'd rather take, but what you would like to run is up to you.

Beryl & Compiz
    Beryl and Compiz are both window managers, that run inside a X server. They basically handle where the windows are on your screen and their borders - eg the little 'x' in the corner of the windows. Once you have Xgl or AIGLX setup, you can switch back and forth between Compiz and Beryl as you please, even in the same login session.

Important Notes / Updates
    • "Desktop Effects" is not what gives the cube and related effects - Desktop-effects is a very handy tool created to make Compiz, the window manager which gives the effects, easier to start.
    • Xgl always reports DRI as missing, even when in fact everything is working. You can test if DRI is working properly with glxgears - If the FPS is very high, then even if it caims DRI is not active it's fine. If not, then something is wrong and DRI actually isn't working.
    • The default Xorg configuration in FC6 doesn't require a Module section, as it autoloads anything needed. This is the best way to leave things, and in fact it may even help to remove your module section because I get the feeling if you do have a module section and don't list every single module that would normally auto-load, you'll get problems.
    • If your windows are always starting under your panel, you need to activate the 'Place' for either Compiz or Beryl. HINT: The gconf entry is here: /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/active_plugins (just add 'place' to the list)
      Code:
      gconftool-2 -s '/apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/active_plugins' --type list --list-type string '[gconf,png,svg,decoration,\
      wobbly,fade,minimize,cube,rotate,\
      zoom,place,move,resize,switcher,scale,\
      water,annotate,screenshot]'
    • gset-compiz has gone unmaintained, and as a result it doesn't work at all with newer version of Compiz. If you would like to customize Compiz, there are two alternatives. The first is to use gconf-editor, which will edit the Compiz preferences. Once you install gconf-editor, open it up (Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor) and take a look at the apps/compiz/ entries. The second alternative is a much easier GUI configuration tool similar to gset-compiz, called gnome-compiz-manager. I've packaged some RPMs for FC-6 and development RPMs that you can download at
      diffingo-repo

Requirements
    • A graphics card with the proper drivers installed (DRI enabled) - If you don't, then please see my howtos for ATi or nVidia cards.
    • If you have a nVidia card it is required to use the 1.0-9625 driver or better if you want to use AIGLX, nothing less. Luckily, 1.0-9631 or better is included in both FC-5 and FC-6 so there should not be any issues concerning the driver version.
    • The fglrx and AIGLX are currently incompatible. In other words, you can use the 'radeon' driver with AIGLX, OR the 'fglrx' driver with Xgl.
    • When you post for help, please include the following information:
      • Your graphics card model and memory size
      • Which driver version you are using, and if it's from FC/Livna packages or directly from the ATi/nVidia site
      • Please attach files when possible (eg, xorg.conf) as it will allow more content to be on each page rather than huge posts of code. This makes it easier for all users to search for answers to problems asked thought this thread.
      • Any errors your received - If all that's posted is "It's not working, help me" chances are nobody will help you since we have no idea as to what is wrong.

- AIGLX -
    AIGLX - Compiz
    Code:
    su -
    yum update
    yum install compiz
    gconftool-2 -s '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' --type bool true
    desktop-effects
    AIGLX - Beryl
    Code:
    su -
    yum -y install beryl-gnome beryl-kde
    Now just run:
    Code:
    beryl-manager
    And use the Beryl tray icon from there.

- XGL -
    (1) Download the RPM installer files to your home (not desktop or other location): Click here and download the following files:
    • Xgl-settings
    • xorg-x11-server-Xgl

You'll want the ones that end in "noarch.rpm" or "i386.rpm" unless you want to build your own ones (such as RPMs for x86_64, in which case you'll need the .src.rpm ones. See my RPM howto for how to rebuild RPMs.)

(2) Install the Xgl RPMs and their requirements:
    Code:
    su
    yum install glitz glitz-glx libsvg libsvg-cairo -y
    rpm -Uhv Xgl-settings*.rpm xorg-x11-server-Xgl*.rpm
    If there's no problems at this last command, it is safe to remove the left over .rpm files in your home directory
    Now when you login, simply click 'Sessions' at the bottom and select Xgl-Gnome or Xgl-KDE as your session.

Xgl - Compiz
    (3) Install Compiz:
    Code:
    rpm -e --nodeps compiz
    yum install compiz -y
    Xgl - Beryl
    Code:
    su -
    yum install beryl-gnome beryl-kde -y
    Now run the Beryl Manager from the menu.

- Various fixes -
    • The drivers from Livna will automatically do this on bootup, however if you are using the nVidia or ATi drivers from the nVidia or AMD website despite this warning, you will ahve to add these lines to your xorg.conf if you don't already have them:
    • In your "Device" section:
      Code:
      Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
      Option  "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
      Also, just have this somewhere, but not within another Section:
      Code:
      Section "DRI"
              Group        0
              Mode         0666
      EndSection
    • If you're getting the "white screen of death" when running Beryl or if it won't even start in Xgl, try running beryl manually from a terminal:
      Code:
      beryl-xgl& emerald&
    • If you can't get rhgb to work properly and the X server fails sometimes, check out this post.
    • Certain Java applications have stopped working properly, like LimeWire. Fortunately, there is a workaround. Start LimeWire like normal, and you'll see the window doesn't show up. However, using Metacity for just a few seconds will have LimeWire display itself, even if you turn Compiz or Beryl back on. To enable Metacity, either disable the desktop-effects or if you're using Beryl using the manager (in the tray) to select 'Metacity' as the window manager. Once the window has displayed it's contents properly, enable the desktop-effects or Beryl via the manager and everything should be normal.

- References -
    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2006/1...-fedora-core-6
    http://fedoraxgl.tuxfamily.org/index...nstallation_en
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RenderingProject/aiglx
    Firewing1
    Last edited by Firewing1; 1st March 2009 at 06:23 PM.
    [+] My open source software and blog
    [+] Some of my howtos: (for full list, click here)

landoncz Guest
    Hey thanks Firewing1, your tutorials are always very complete and easy to follow!

One typo though. The yum code should be:
    Code:
    yum install --enablerepo=fedora-xgl gltiz-glx libsvg libsvg-cairo
    yum install --enablerepo=fedora-xgl xorg-x11-server-Xgl xgl-hardware-list gset-compiz  fedora-xgl-settings compiz
    I think...

Thanks again!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem - I really thought Xgl / AIGLX took hours to install, compile, etc - It's actually pretty stable and takes only a few minutes to install which is why I made the guide... This needs to be shared, the cube is too cool! HINT: Try holding <ctrl><alt> and then left click + drag - It's awesome

BTW, thanks for the typo, I fixed it.

Firewing1

landoncz Guest
    Wow! Great stuff! Yeah, it only took me like 2 minutes using your guide to get it working...

By the way, do you know how to install and use the compiz themes like on gnome-look.org? You can't drag and drop into your theme manager like regular themes, is there a seperate theme manager for compiz? If you don't know, no big deal, I'll find out, just thought I'd ask in case it is something simple...

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is, I'll google...
    Firewing1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I may have found it - gcompizthemer
    Firewing1

landoncz Guest
    Many thanks. I downloaded it from here: http://www.beerorkid.com/compiz/pool...gcompizthemer/ and installed it ok. Then I had to create a directory ~/.compiz/themes and put the themes I downloaded in there for gcompizthemer to see them.

TreasonX Guest
    I got it to work and it looks great except It doesnt seem to work too well with dual head.. It could be my video card.. But one monitor would not display anything... Does anyone have XGL running with a dual head setup? Could someone recommend a video card that would work with dual head and XGL??? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landoncz
    Many thanks. I downloaded it from here: http://www.beerorkid.com/compiz/pool...gcompizthemer/ and installed it ok. Then I had to create a directory ~/.compiz/themes and put the themes I downloaded in there for gcompizthemer to see them.

It seems gcompizthemer no longer lives there, and has left no forwarding address..

Does anyone happen to have a copy floating arround or know where it's been moved to. A search of google only turns up screen shots and themes.
    :D ~ Antifreeze
    Registered Linux User #385952
    System Specs:
    F12 Linux 2.6.31.9, Intel Centrino 1.86ghz, 120gb hd, 2gb ram

panini Guest

XGL not stable

the Firewing how to was really nice...i could install XGL in 5 mins!!....was nice to see its effects......but got little problems like.....whenever i open firefox or any new application, screen behind that window goes blank or shady after sometimes when i move around the opened window it again gets corrected, same problem with the cube rotation too.....when i rotate screen and hold it in the same position screen goes blank!!.....sometimes right click of mouse button doesnt work!.......
    could it be cos of my graphic card(ATI radeon xpress200)...but i have installed fglrx drivers for that......
    is there a way to stabilize GLX as half the time i cant get it to work without screen goin blank!!........

if there is no solution how can i safley un install GLX so that i get my original xorg back?

is AIGLX more stable than XGL?.....does it have all the effects from XGL?......

thanx in advance!

system: AMD turion64 , ATI radeon xpress200....but running 32 bit fedoracore5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's up with this firewing?
    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# rpm -e compiz
    error: package compiz is not installed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And also this one:

Code:
    Downloading Packages:
    (1/1): fedora-xgl-setting 100% |=========================| 6.0 kB    00:00
    http://fedoraxgl.tuxfamily.org/repository/5/i386/fedora-xgl-settings-0.0.1-2.noarch.rpm: [Errno -1] Package does not match checksum
    Trying other mirror.
    http://users.telenet.be/quenta/5/i386/fedora-xgl-settings-0.0.1-2.noarch.rpm: [Errno 9] Requested Range Not Satisfiable
    Trying other mirror.

Error Downloading Packages:
      fedora-xgl-settings - 0.0.1-2.noarch: failure: fedora-xgl-settings-0.0.1-2.noarch.rpm from fedora-xgl: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
    What's up with that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rpm -e compiz error is OK, the "rpm -e" is to remove any previous versions of compiz to avoid conflicts. As for your yum error - That I haven't seen before from that repo. Try downloading the packages directly:
    http://users.telenet.be/quenta/5/i38...1-2.noarch.rpm
    Firewing1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great guide Firewing1!

The installation went quick and easy but now the direct rendering is gone.
    Code:
    [****@user229 ~]$ glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0  screen: 0
    direct rendering: No
    According to the guide which is linked to in this post you should start Xgl with the -xorgAc option to get direct rendering working, but....how do you do that?
    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...ight=xgl+games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have kmod-flglrx drivers installed currently. Will it create any conflict if i now try and use the packages above?

thx,
    Keith

Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast