Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th April 2006, 06:38 PM
rahulgandhi Offline

Need to do Fedora core upgrade

Hi,
I am doing my Project on FC3 machines running 2.6.9-1.667smp and it is very urgent that I do the upgrade or patch to 2.6.10 version. I am short of time and when i tried to upgrade i.e patch the kernel it was a complete failure so plz help me.

when I typed uname -r on my desktop it showed that I am running 2.6.9-1.667smp and to upgrade the kernel i looked in google and found the patch "patch-2.6.10.bz2" and I guess I got the right patch for doing the upgrade and when I copy this in /usr/src after reading in google I found that I need to do

bzcat /usr/src/patch-2.6.10.bz2 | patch -p1 -f and also tried
bzcat /usr/src/patch-2.6.10.bz2 | patch -p0 -f and

bzcat /usr/src/patch-2.6.10.bz2 | patch -p1
bzcat /usr/src/patch-2.6.10.bz2 | patch -p0

but nothing worked out and its saying file to patch: and nothing comes out after that.

Please do help me the procedure and patch file which I need to use to upgrade.

Thank u in advance
Old 11th April 2006, 03:26 AM
Jman Offline

Insatall legacy update sources and yum update. Done.

Moved.
Old 11th April 2006, 03:50 AM
Firewing1 Offline

I'm not sure if it's possible, but if you wanna install Core 5 this would kill 2 birds with one stone; Get all the new apps, features and security updates, not to mention the speed increase brough about in FC5, and get the brand-new 2.6.16 kernels!
Firewing1
Old 11th April 2006, 02:19 PM
rahulgandhi Offline

Need only 2.6.10

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I need to specifically install kernel 2.6.10 so I am looking for RPM for that particular file and i do not know where to get that since no where I am able to get it. My application which i m going to install works only on 2.6.10 kernel (iscsi applicaiton). so please let me know how i do that and also how do i know if my system is i386 or i 586. Plz keep in touch so that I can clear all my doubts. I have to finish the project with in a fortnite and I need all possible help that you can do. The system is not connected to internet to do yum updates.

For more understanding about reason to download 2.6.10:

Drivers and daemon for using iSCSI (SCSI over IP) on Linux. For Linux kernels 2.6.11 and above, use open-iscsi.org. For the 2.6.9 and 2.4 kernels, use the RHEL4 and RHEL3 CDs respectively. The 4.0.2 version here will work on the 2.6.10 kernel only.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-iscsi/

So please let me know how to download and upgrade the kernel and make my life easier.
Old 11th April 2006, 03:15 PM
wdgiles Offline
Still Nothing

You'll have to build it yourself, but the sources are here: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...-2.6.10.tar.gz
Please try to keep your posts to a single thread - posting the same questions four times won't get you any more help than just posting once.
Too many other pc's - some that are even still running.
Old 11th April 2006, 03:40 PM
rahulgandhi Offline

Hi Thanks for it. I already have the source file which u have uploaded but unable to make it work or install. i thought download rpm for it might help me so please tell me where to get it or how to install with file you sent to me.
Old 11th April 2006, 03:46 PM
rahulgandhi Offline

Hey Bill i forgot to tell sorry for it I am sorry about it. All the guys in the forum are doing a very good job and trying to help me with all possible alternatives.

thanks guyz

although problem might look simple its difficult for me to understand since this is first time i m working on linux machines so plz help me and give me a step by step procedure.
sorry for the trouble

thank u
Old 11th April 2006, 03:48 PM
wdgiles Offline
Still Nothing

Try this site, the version numbers are different, but the basic procedure is the same:
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-kernel-fc3.html
Old 12th April 2006, 01:33 AM
rahulgandhi Offline

question from link given to me

After trying to follow process given in link :

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-kernel-fc3.html

I have some doubts where I do not know wat I am supposed to do like:

should i do patch or not? I just want to run 2.6.10 kernel image

Copy the previous Fedora .config file from the fedora kernel.src.rpm, this will be your starting point for customizing the kernel and how do i do that? When i look into /usr/src i could not find any config files for kernel to be copied and i m running fedora so what is this?

without the above 2 steps do i need to proceed or it will be a complete failure.
Old 12th April 2006, 03:38 AM
rahulgandhi Offline

thx for all the hep but problem aggravated

already have 2.6.10 kernel running and just to check the kernel when i type uname -rm it says

2.6.10 i686

when i try to install iscsi drivers it gives me errors shown below so please help me and i need to finish this project in couple of weeks so please help me as much as possible.

[root@rdma1 linux-iscsi-4.0.2]# make

Note: using kernel source from /lib/modules/2.6.10/build containing
kernel version 2.6.10

Note: using kernel config from /lib/modules/2.6.10/build/.config

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.10'
CC [M] /usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver/iscsi-initiator.o
CC [M] /usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver/iscsi-attr.o
CC [M] /usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver/iscsi-session.o
/usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver/iscsi-session.c:481: warning: conflicting types for built-in function 'strdup'
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver/iscsi-session.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.10'
make: *** [module] Error 2

Hope this information is sufficient.
Old 12th April 2006, 04:38 PM
rahulgandhi Offline

problem not solved

Hi I guess i did not install the kernel properly so please let me know if i do need to do any patching and how do i know if it is installed properly. i have getting error messages given in my above message. plz help me as much as possible
Old 12th April 2006, 05:30 PM
jowah Offline

EDIT: wrong assumptions made on my part. No solution found. Sorry.

Last edited by jowah; 12th April 2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12th April 2006, 06:55 PM
rahulgandhi Offline

I guess i am missing some patch or something please help me understand the problem clearly and the solution.
Old 12th April 2006, 09:11 PM
wdgiles Offline
Still Nothing

google is your friend. With a little bit of effort (ie, less than one minute of searching) I found a solution. There's a difference between asking for help with something you can't get past and not trying at all.

And now, I'll step off my soapbox and provide what I found: http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L...5-04/1736.html
Old 13th April 2006, 12:03 AM
rahulgandhi Offline

I would try that thx a lot

Hi thanks a lot for your continued help. By the way i tried a lot to search in google with error message copied to google search but i could not find any and as last resort and since u guys are more expert in giving solutions in your field and out of your field i had some hope.

I will try to implement as of right now and let u know the update.

I am sure that I am not asking something which i know and looking without any effort from my side. I am working 10hrs a day on this project and need to get this done soon in a less than a fortnight.

Your help is very much appreciated and is definitely helping me to a very large extent and I am acknowledge all your names in my project report for all your help.

I would give u update soon.....

thx

Tags
core, fedora, upgrade