<---- template headericclude ----->
Fedora Core 5 installation poll
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

View Poll Results: Did you install/upgrade (to) Fedora Core 5?

Voters
458. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I CLEAN INSTALLED FC5 without any problems

179 39.08%
  • Yes I CLEAN INSTALLED FC5 but had some problems before I could getting it running just right

127 27.73%
  • Yes I UPGRADED TO FC5 without any problems

18 3.93%
  • Yes I UPGRADED TO FC5 but had some problems before I could getting it running just right

33 7.21%
  • After UPGRADING TO FC5 and/or CLEAN INSTALLING it many times, I got FC5 working

17 3.71%
  • I tried both UPGRADING TO FC5 and/or CLEAN INSTALLING it but I have yet to get it working

84 18.34%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    gtr225 Guest

Fedora Core 5 installation poll

I'm still running Fedora Core 4 and am gonna upgrade to 5 soon. However, I wanna see how other people faired with installing 5 and if there are any major bugs to worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had problems with it...new install, not upgrade.I had it working fine for a little while, then something broke (or many things).

I am going to clear the partitions and start over...verify my discs...etc

EDIT: Re-installed last night, all is well do far...
    Last edited by sailor; 24th March 2006 at 04:03 PM.
    sailor
    West of San Antonio, Tx ... near Castroville Tx

Fedora 39 <> IntelCore i7-4790 × 4 <>

gtr225 Guest
    Thanks for the input, I'm gonna backup everything before trying this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have no problems installing [clean install].
    right now im still configuring my wireless connection.
    PowerEds
    DCSE
    Registered LinuxUser #395049

WAF :: Philippines
    ^

Seve is offline Retired Community Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to date: 3 isntallations ..P4 and AMD all went smooth..except grub which I had to re-install on every instance [perhaps related to the DVD burn..I dunno] Other than that it was excellent.
    Seve
    Registered Linux User: #384977
    .................................................. ............
    See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still finishing getting it and uploading it via BiTorrent. (I am of the opinion that my share ration with stuff like this must be greater than or equal to 1 before I even allow myself to install or use that which I downloaded.)

I plan to backup my stuff later tonight. If I get a chance, I'll burn the DVD and install it tonight too (fresh, not upgrading).
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( My Blog: A day (or more) in the life of a CS & Language student... ) :: ( Supporter of the EFF & FSF ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a format, clean install, kept my home partition as it was; but cleaned a bunch of junk out of it. It's too bad I didn't run into S|G's install scripts until last night - they would have made things so much easier
    ( http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...5&page=1&pp=15 ) - but I ran them anyhow and had an absolutely painless Java installation, amongst other things. Just waiting for nvidia drivers to come out and then I should be good to go.

Mick

Y'know, I kinda feel sorry for Window$ users; stuck with the same thing for years instead of having something shiney and new to play with every six to nine months... Okay; I'm over it.
    Linux - because a PC is a terrible thing to waste...
    Registered User #341752

Desktop: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+, Asus M2NPV-VM, 4GB Corsair 800Mhz DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6150 , Sony DVDRW, Sony CDRW, 100GB SeagateSATA *F10*
    Laptop: Lenovo T61p, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, nVidia, 500GB SATA (2 drives), *F10*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FC5 installed on Luna like a dream, however, I have no 3d hardware acc due to no nvidia drivers working properly, and once again NTFS support seems to be broken despite installing the RPM's for it. I was shocked to see that my monitor actually powers down now without me hitting the power button, hey! finally some -working- power management.

All in all.. the minor problems of not being able to access my video / music library can be tollerated until I get enough time to actually fix the problems.
    :D ~ Antifreeze
    Registered Linux User #385952
    System Specs:
    F12 Linux 2.6.31.9, Intel Centrino 1.86ghz, 120gb hd, 2gb ram

gtr225 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seve
    to date: 3 isntallations ..P4 and AMD all went smooth..except grub which I had to re-install on every instance [perhaps related to the DVD burn..I dunno] Other than that it was excellent.
    Seve
    You upgraded from FC4?

gtr225 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by codergeek42
    I'm still finishing getting it and uploading it via BiTorrent. (I am of the opinion that my share ration with stuff like this must be greater than or equal to 1 before I even allow myself to install or use that which I downloaded.)

I plan to backup my stuff later tonight. If I get a chance, I'll burn the DVD and install it tonight too (fresh, not upgrading).
    Yea I always try to seed the latest Fedora Core whenever I get the chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upgraded from FC5 test3 to final with no problems and 3 updates waiting at the "updates" repo.
    It's certainly not a FC4 to FC5, now that would be a large headache and a big jump.
    I was seeding the i386 and x86_64 torrents--but I seem to have a few idiots too many messing with my IP, so I had to tighten up the firewalls again.
    Guess the torrents (ports) now days seem to be a moron magnet. I can still hear my firewall drive chuckling/clicking to itself now. (logging).

bkat Guest

fc4 to fc5 upgrade

I did an upgrade from fc4 to fc5 on two systems -- a dell latitude laptop and my system at work. Neither system is all that new. The upgrade went quite smoothly with just a couple of issues:

1. my laptop has a wireless card that I need to use with ndiswrapper. Of course, the first thing I did after the upgrade was to go an compile the kernel module. The upgrade left me without a kernel-devel package and as others have noted, the kernel-devel package is not included in the CD's. Fortunately its not my only computer at home so I was able to download the rpm and dump it onto a CD.

2. I play my audio files via amarok from fedora-extras to play my audio files. Upgrading it left it in a kind of funky state, using the old gstreamer driver. I straightened that out, installed some different packages from freshrpms to reenable mp3 support and its working pretty good. However, pausing a song would lead amarok to lock up. I switched the sink from the default esdsink to alsa sink and it appears to working. Something went haywire along the way and my global key bindings don't work and somehow my window manager keyboard focus switched into click-to-focus instead of the way nature intended (focus follows mouse). The gnome config thinks its still configured the correct. I had a big compile going on so I wasn't able to log out before I left work.

3. I love gcc 4.1! I recompiled our source tree and it caught some problems via new warnings. I really like that either the xorg or fedora people went through and added sentinels to all the XtVa functions.

4. I unfortunately have to connect to Exchange for email at work. Evolution twiddled a few things in my config for some reason but they were easily correctable. It works alot better than the version included in FC4. Even something simple like automatically putting my signature in an email is a pleasant suprise. It not longer locks up when moving a calendar item.

5. I'm not sure I like the blindingly bright blue used in title bars and scroll bars. I need to tweak my theme a bit.

cub Guest
    I downloaded CD1 and then did a clean ftp installation on my Compaq/HP nx9010. Started right up. Now I'm trying to get my Netgear WG511 card to work. Everything else worked right away..at least so far..:P

Going to do a clean installation on my other PC tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the deal...

OK... this is my third upgrade without a reformat and so far so good.
    The motherboard is a gigabyte GA-7S748 with an ATI (clone) 9600 graphic card with a Sempron 2800 processor with Western digital hard drives. Not one problem with the upgrade so far. I've gone from core 2 through 3 & 4 to five and haven't had any (major) problems. I've had a few issues when updating kernels but this upgrade (from FC4 to FC5) has been issue free. Mainly USB issues before but this time I've been lucky and there were no problems at all.
    Dual boot system...98se and FC5...these are the stats.

Thanks Rahul (et al) for a job well done (IMHO)!

Good luck to all.
    Last edited by radu5er; 24th March 2006 at 11:09 AM.
    "...you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The installation itself went perfectly fine (clean install on different partition: I kept my working FC4).
    There were two issues: at boot some strange complaints about the resume device (this was solved by fixing a line in fstab: garbage in the swap entry, like in FC4 - and updating to a new davej kernel); kudzu always segfaults, at boot and when run from command line.
    For this latter I filed a bug.
    Now I have some arts isssues, but nothing really important.
    - Captain...
    - Yes, Spock?
    - I can't believe my ears...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast