<---- template headericclude ----->
Fedora Frog - FC's Answer to Automatix
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora Frog - FC's Answer to Automatix

One reason that Fedora Core can be a bit difficult to new users is the number of things that must be set up after installation. There's Java, Flash, getting 3D running right, mp3's and a host of other items that you might want. Sure, you can read through the 'how-to's' and configure things yourself... OR... there's Fedora Frog, a nice tool that's been around since FC-4 to help configure things for you. http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_frog

Well, we'd like to see this important tool available for FC-6 and beyond, but the developer is under some time constraints and needs help. If you'd like to participate, please go to the site and contact him as described under "Help Needed".
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the Frog work with a KDE FC6 install?
    HP AIO | Dual Core Intel 11th Gen Core I3 - 3 GHz | 8 GB DDR4 RAM | 256 GB SSD | Intel HD Graphics | Windows 10

No fate but what we make...
    My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's the point. The developer is asking for people to do the testing and report on things that need to be done to get it working properly with FC-6. In reality, it would be a good project for those who can diagnose problems and know how to repair their system if the Frog doesn't work as expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm sorry I can't help. I don't use FC nor know how to fix FC when it breaks if Frog messed it up somewhere. i would be willing to try frog for the heck of it on a FC test box though.
    HP AIO | Dual Core Intel 11th Gen Core I3 - 3 GHz | 8 GB DDR4 RAM | 256 GB SSD | Intel HD Graphics | Windows 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kona, that's not a bad idea. Since you don't already use it and wouldn't care about a test box install, you install FC-6, just standard install, and then do the yum updates and jump over to Fedora Frog and see which of the programs work and which fail. Just reporting back on what borked and what worked might be a good start for them. The Frog is designed for new users, which in a sense you would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im about to do an install on an old laptop i have laying around. maybe ill work on this if i had time. i was planning on writing something like this anyway. so maybe this will be a good warmup. if i do getting around to writing mine though il let people know about it. the goal is to do it all in C and avoid using yum. i want this sucker to be fast. don't know if its really worth the time to write, but if i can make it work over a network maybe someone would have a use for it.
    As always
    Love, Life, Loyalty, Wisdom, Knowledge, And Understanding
    FC6: Common Questions answered

Linux The Great Guest
    I have a special testing machine now for linux distros.... it's got FC 6, so I'll guess I'll have to give this a try.

My only concern is that it won't install the beta nvidia drivers, so that I may use aiglx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I downloaded FC6. It took one and a half hours for all 5 iso's. I burned them all and installed them on my notebook. FC really has changed since 3 but I still ain't impressed. Anyhow I ran Frog and yep it did everything and did it great. Way better than Automatix. No bugs to report. Well Frog did install the ATI drivers but I still can't do the cube 3D stuff. Anyhow back to a different distro.

...I can't believe I used GNOME. YUCK!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kona, did you follow Firewing1's 'how-to' ? It's pretty simple: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=121119 But, if you're not impressed and don't want to hang around, we wish you the best and thanks for following up on the Frog. If you can do a quick post to the developer to tell him what you set up successfully, that would be great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just don't think FC is for me. I'm more of a "The linux distro must do everything out of the box or able to with a few clicks." kind of guy. Hence the reason I use Kubuntu most of the time although lately i use Windows XP. FC is a bit to technical and cutting edge for me. It has improved MUCH since FC3 I am happy to say. Frog works great. i'll be happy to write the programmers of Frog about that. No hang ups and installed everything great. Just the 3D stuff didn't work. No biggie.

Of course I'll hang around this site. Good people and I learn stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kona0197
    Well I just don't think FC is for me. I'm more of a "The linux distro must do everything out of the box or able to with a few clicks." kind of guy. Hence the reason I use Kubuntu most of the time although lately i use Windows XP. FC is a bit to technical and cutting edge for me. It has improved MUCH since FC3 I am happy to say. Frog works great. i'll be happy to write the programmers of Frog about that. No hang ups and installed everything great. Just the 3D stuff didn't work. No biggie.

Of course I'll hang around this site. Good people and I learn stuff.
    The 3d stuff didnīt work as you need to install the dkms enabled drivers from dries repo which frog setup for you.

And I would agree that kubuntu is a good distro probably one of the best of the kde centric distroīs, I wasnīt much for Mandriva 2007 - pclinuxos will probably be better and I donīt think Mepis has ever been right since 2004.6 and Suse well I tried 9.3 and 10.1 and I donīt like Yast

Oh and Frog worked fine for me too no hitches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would have been great if I had seen this thread yesterday.
    Desktop (64-bit) - F12, Debian Sid, OpenSUSE 11.2, ArchLinux

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed FC6 for the first time and tried Frog and it worked fine. Definitely saves alot of time in installing/configuring all the basic stuff

tony85poon Guest
    Simply like the name Fedora Frog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an alternative to Fedora Frog: http://www.fedorafriend.org/ - haven't tried it myself but some members report good results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast