<---- template headericclude ----->
FC6 and Legacy ATI Video Cards HOWTO
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    srussell Guest

FC6 and Legacy ATI Video Cards HOWTO

UPDATE 7/10/2007
    Well, this Howto is nearly completely hosed, and you should take everything in it with a grain of salt.

Since I first posted, the kernel code has changed such that it is no longer possible to compile the ATI proprietary drivers. The last kernel that worked for me was 2.6.18, but using this older kernel now breaks other stuff in FC6, and is thus unusable.

Note that it may be possible to patch a newer kernel to enable compilation of the ATI drivers; and that there might be a way to get RPMs of a "legacy" ATI driver. You'll have to wade through all the posts below this one to answer those questions, though; the later posters now know more about this issue than I do. Good luck.

There is good news, though! I first started down this path because the FC6 radeon drivers sucked; under a fresh install of Fedora 7, though, they work like a charm! They are *almost* as fast as the ATI driver, and far far far far less of a headache. I encourage everyone to try them out before they start screwing around with ATI.

END UPDATE

WHO:

Anyone who has an R200 chipset ATI graphics card. Mine is a Mobility Radeon 9000, circa 2004, but there are several others in this class.
    If you've tried to get hardware acceleration working, but X fails with a message in the logfile (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) like: "(EE) fglrx(0): Chipset 0x4c66 is not recognized" then this HOWTO is for you.

WHY:

The open source "radeon" driver works perfectly well for these cards (and this driver is probably what FC6 installed by default). 3D accelerated graphics run like crap under these drivers, though. The difference in an application like Google Earth between the open source and the ATI proprietary drivers is astounding. Also, the ATI drivers support tv-out, and the open source drivers do not.

WHAT:

This document teaches how to install the ATI fglrx driver under FC6, to enable 3D support and harware acceleration under X, for ATI graphics cards that are no longer supported by ATI. There, that should be enough keywords for the search engine.

HOW:

This is the complicated part...

1. Background

ATI was nice enough to release Linux drivers for their cards. Hooray! But, they apparently got tired of maintaining the code for so many graphics cards, so they shut off support for cards older than about 2 years. For both Linux and Windows! Boo. If this is how ATI views their product life cycles, I think I'll get an nVidia card next time around. What's even more frustrating is that it is apparently trivially simple to add support for these older cards back into the default drivers; there's a slick Windows tool to patch the latest Windows drivers at http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.

The Linux drivers aren't so lucky, so we have to use the latest version of the ATI drivers that still included support for older cards (8.28.8). Unless you want to use tv-out (like I do, it's another major reason for using the ATI drivers). In that case, we have to go back another release version to 8.27.10, because the 8.28.8 drivers have a bug that screws up tv-out! To make matters worse, the 8.27.10 version predates FC6, so we can't make nice rpm packages with the ATI installation program.

2. Overview

Here are the steps required to get the ATI driver working. It's not really that bad!

o Download the legacy installation program;

o Edit some kernel source header files;

o Run the installation program to either generate packages or directly install;

o Edit xorg.conf to use the new driver;

o Reboot.

3. Download the Legacy ATI installation program

OK, you need to decide if you are going to use tv-out or not. It's pretty slick and easy to use, and I recommend it, but enabling it is not as clean as punting on it.

No tv-out: use the 8.28.8 drivers; generate RPMs; everything in your system is tidy.
    Tv-out: use the 8.27.10 drivers; install files directly; you'll have some non-RPMed files in your system.

It's not really a big deal, but I always think twice before I start throwing non-package files around in my system. A year later, you'll need to replace or fix a file, and you won't remember where it came from or went to. I recommend keeping a documentation file somewhere that describes what you did and what files you installed.

Here are the links to the two versions of the files:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206....27.10-x86.run
    https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ler-8.28.8.run

By the way, the way to turn on tv out is simple:
    `aticonfig --enable-monitor=lvds,tv` (if you have a laptop)
    `aticonfig --enable-monitor=crt,tv` (if you have a monitor)
    `aticonfig --enable-monitor=tv` (tv only, to watch videos)

4. Edit some kernel files

First of all, you need to have your kernel source installed:

yum -y install kernel-devel kernel-headers

Note that many people seem to have old kernel RPMs floating around on their systems, and the above yum command might not work in that case. If you run into trouble, just download the latest versions of the above RPMs directly from the fedora site & install (rpm -ivh *rpm):

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...pdates/6/i386/

If you want to clean up your kernel files, you can find out which ones are installed with "rpm -qa | grep kernel" and uninstall the older ones with "rpm -e kernel-whatever."

Now, these installer programs are a few years old, and they depend on kernel parameters that have become obsolete. The installer will fail if these things aren't added, but you won't hurt your system or any other programs by adding them in. You will need to know your kernel's version number (`uname -r`) to find these files; where this string should appear, below, I will type <UNAME>, but you should insert the actual string. Double-check the directory names! If you actual directory name is a little bit different from the <UNAME>, use the actual directory name. Oh, and of course you need to be root to edit these files.

o Add to /usr/src/kernels/<UNAME>/include/linux/mm.h:

#define VM_SHM 0x00000000 /* ATI Drivers won't work unless you supply this def. */

(search for the other "#define VM_" lines and add it near there)

o Add to /usr/src/kernels/<UNAME>/include/linux/version.h:

#define UTS_RELEASE "<UNAME>"

(The quotes in the above line go in the file as well! The line can go anywhere in the file.)

o Add a symbolic link:

ln -s /usr/src/kernels/<UNAME>/include/linux/version.h /usr/src/kernels/<UNAME>/include/linux/version-<UNAME>.h

o Create a new file "config.h":

/usr/src/kernels/<UNAME>/include/linux/config.h

Which contains:

Code:
    #ifndef _LINUX_CONFIG_H
    #define _LINUX_CONFIG_H
    /* This file is no longer in use and kept only for backward compatibility.
     * autoconf.h is now included via -imacros on the commandline
     */
    #include <linux/autoconf.h>

#endif

5. Run the ATI installation program

First we need to install a few more tools...
    The installation program depends on the Qt libraries. Install them with:

yum -y install qt qt-devel

We will also need the rpm build tools:

yum -y install rpm-build

o If you are using 8.28.8 (NO tv-out):

First, run `chmod 755 ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run` to make it executable.
    Then run `./ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run --buildpkg Fedora/FC6`
    After a minute, out should pop four RPM files; install them all with `rpm -ivh *rpm` (as root).
    That's it!

o If you are using 8.27.10 (WITH tv-out):

First, run `chmod 755 ati-driver-installer-8.27.10-x86.run` to make it executable.
    Then run the installer with `./ati-driver-installer-8.27.10-x86.run` (as root).
    Choose "Install Driver," not "Generate Distro Package" and later, Express Install.
    The program will then install files on your system, and generate a kernel module.
    Note that this program will overwrite the open source MesaGL libraries with its own; it doesn't matter, becuase you won't need the open source libraries any more, but if you want them back you'll need to re-install mesa-libGL and mesa-libGL-devel.

6. Configure /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You must add a few things to this file, if they are not already there. Before you start, though, save your existing xorg.conf as xorg.conf_radeon, in case you screw things up and need to revert back to the open source drivers.
    In the "Module" section, add the following lines:

Code:
    	Load  		"glx"
    	Load		"dri"
    	Load		"dbe"
    	Load		"ddc"
    	Load		"extmod"
              SubSection "extmod"
    	    Option	"omit xorg-dga"
              EndSubSection
    	Load  		"int10"
    	Load		"record"
    	Load		"v4l"
    	Load		"vbe"
    	Load		"GLcore"
    In the "Device" section, change Driver from "radeon" to "fglrx" and add the following lines:
    Code:
    	Option		"UseInternalAGPGART" 	"no"
    	Option		"VideoOverlay"		"on"
    	Option		"OpenGLOverlay"		"off"
    	Option		"no_accel"		"no"
    	Option		"no_dri"		"no"
    	Option		"mtrr"			"off"
    Finally, add these lines to the end of the file:

Code:
    Section "DRI"
    	Mode         	0666
    EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    	Option	    	"Composite" 		"false"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    	Option	    	"AIGLX" "off"
    EndSection

7. Reboot

Technically, you should be able to load the new driver by just signing out and back into X, but that never works for me. Reboot, and X should start up normally. Run the command `fglrxinfo` to verify that you are using the ATI drivers (if it says Mesa, it didn't work). If something went wrong, check the X logfile (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) for hints.
    Last edited by srussell; 11th July 2007 at 01:58 AM.

mitchell2345 Guest
    It may be easier for new linux users if you used an environment variable to the kernel. Just like what Jerod did for his Fedora Myth(TV)ology site.

To make life simpler after we've rebooted and are prepared to start installing drivers for some of our hardware not supported natively by the kernel, we're going to set up a custom environment variable, KVER, that will help avoid problems from typos, user error, confusion, etc. Simply drop a file in /etc/profile.d, like so:
    Code:
    # echo "export KVER=\`uname -r\`" >> /etc/profile.d/kver.sh
    (those are back-ticks, not single-quotes)
    Source: http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#update

mitchell

mitchell2345 Guest
    I am having problems doing this.

I think think it stems from not getting kernel-devel installed.

Here is what happens...

Code:
    [root@mitchell2345 Desktop]# uname -r
    2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
    [root@mitchell2345 Desktop]# yum install kernel-devel
    Loading "installonlyn" plugin
    Setting up Install Process
    Setting up repositories
    Reading repository metadata in from local files
    Parsing package install arguments
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
    ---> Package kernel-devel.i686 0:2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 set to be installed
    --> Running transaction check
    --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
    ---> Package kernel-devel.i686 0:2.6.18-1.2868.fc6 set to be erased
    --> Running transaction check

Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================
     Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size 
    Installing:
     kernel-devel            i686       2.6.18-1.2798.fc6  core              4.6 M
    Removing:
     kernel-devel            i686       2.6.18-1.2868.fc6  installed          14 M

Transaction Summary
    Install      1 Package(s)         
    Update       0 Package(s)         
    Remove       1 Package(s)         

Total download size: 4.6 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    Running Transaction Test
    Finished Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:   package kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6 (which is newer than kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6) is already installed
      package kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 (which is newer than kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6) is already installed

[root@mitchell2345 Desktop]# ./ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run --buildpkg Fedora/FC
    Creating directory fglrx-install
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.28.8.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ==================================================
     ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager 
    Generating package: Fedora/FC
    Requested package is not supported.
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install
    [root@mitchell2345 Desktop]#
    It seems there is no kernel-devel package for the 2869 kernel. I was hoping that having a 2868 devel package it would work but it doesnt.

Thanks,
    Mitchell

mitchell2345 Guest
    well i found the kernel-devel on http://rpm.pbone.net and got it installed.

I noticed i for go the 6 on FC. now when i run the ati installer i get this.

Code:
    [root@mitchell2345 Desktop]# ./ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run --buildpkg Fedora/FC6
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.28.8.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Generating package: Fedora/FC6
    ./packages/Fedora/ati-packager.sh: line 195: /etc/profile.d/qt.sh: No such file or directory
    Last edited by mitchell2345; 18th January 2007 at 03:13 AM.

srussell Guest
    Hi mitchell2345,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner...

1. The "kver.sh" trick does seem like a cleaner way to pass info to the kernel; I will play around with it and see if it works.

2. I'm glad you resolved your kernel-devel problem, because I have no idea what was going wrong with it. It looked like you had two different older versions of kernel-devel on your system and yum didn't know what to do.

And yes, "FC6" not "FC."

3. It looks like the installer program needs the Qt libraries. Huh, I didn't realize that, sorry for not pointing it out. These are graphics toolkit libraries, that, back in the day, people shunned because they were closed source, and as a result gnome uses mostly its own graphics toolkit. Qt is now open source, though, and installing it won't hurt anything.

`yum -y install qt-devel`

Let me know if you have any other problems! Good luck!

mitchell2345 Guest
    Now i am getting this..

Code:
    [root@mitchell2345 Desktop]# ./ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run --buildpkg Fedora/FC6
    install: cannot stat `fireglcontrolpanel': No such file or directory
    Package build failed!
    Package build utility output:
    Building target platforms: i386
    Building for target i386
    Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.31167
    + umask 022
    + cd /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/BUILD
    + LANG=C
    + export LANG
    + unset DISPLAY
    + cd ATI-fglrx-8.28.8
    ++ /usr/bin/id -u
    + '[' 0 = 0 ']'
    + /bin/chown -Rhf root .
    ++ /usr/bin/id -u
    + '[' 0 = 0 ']'
    + /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .
    + /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .
    + exit 0
    Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.18233
    + umask 022
    + cd ATI-fglrx-8.28.8
    + LANG=C
    + export LANG
    + unset DISPLAY
    + exit 0
    Executing(%install): /bin/sh -e /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.18233
    + umask 022
    + cd ATI-fglrx-8.28.8
    + LANG=C
    + export LANG
    + unset DISPLAY
    + rm -rf /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root
    + '[' -d /etc/ld.so.conf.d ']'
    + mkdir -p /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/etc/ld.so.conf.d
    + pushd /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/etc/ld.so.conf.d
    /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/etc/ld.so.conf.d /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8
    + cat
    + popd
    /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8
    + mkdir -p /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/share/applications
    + pushd /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/share/applications
    /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/share/applications /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8
    + cat
    + popd
    /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8
    + cp -pR /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8/etc /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8/lib /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8/usr /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root
    + find /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/share/doc -type f -perm 0555 -exec chmod 0644 '{}' ';'
    + find /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root -type f -perm 0555 -exec chmod 0755 '{}' ';'
    + export AS_USER=y
    + AS_USER=y
    + pushd /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod
    /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8
    + bash make.sh verbose
    ATI module generator V 2.0
    ==========================
    initializing...
    cat: /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/build/include/linux/version-*.h: No such file or directory
    Error:
    kernel includes at /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/build/include do not match current kernel.
    they are versioned as ""
    instead of "2.6.18-1.2869.fc6".
    you might need to adjust your symlinks:
    - /usr/include
    - /usr/src/linux
    error: Bad exit status from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.18233 (%install)

RPM build errors:
        Bad exit status from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-21196-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.18233 (%install)
    Seems it has to do more with the mismatch yum was giving me with the kernel 2869 and the corrisponding devel package. hrmm....

When i check my rpm's it all looks good -
    Code:
    [root@mitchell2345 Desktop]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
    kernel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
    kernel-headers-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
    kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
    [root@mitchell2345 Desktop]# rpm -qa | grep qt
    qt-devel-3.3.7-0.1.fc6
    qt-3.3.7-0.1.fc6
    qt-MySQL-3.3.7-0.1.fc6
    avahi-qt3-0.6.16-2.fc6
    Maybe something with sym. links. idk
    Last edited by mitchell2345; 18th January 2007 at 09:38 PM.

srussell Guest
    Hmm, it appears that "version.h" needs to be in the module directory, as well. I compile my kernels from scratch, and that seems to install "version.h" in the module directory automatically. But, they are obviously not there in the default fedora install. D'oh! I hope this is the last difference between my system and a "default" system; I didn't expect stuff like this to pop up.

Try this:

Code:
    cp /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`/include/linux/version.h /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version.h
    cp /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`/include/linux/version.h /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version-`uname -r`.h
    Last edited by srussell; 18th January 2007 at 09:46 PM.

mitchell2345 Guest
    After editing the first cmd i get this..

Code:
    cp /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6-i686/include/linux/version.h /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/build/include/linux/version.h
    cp: `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6-i686/include/linux/version.h' and `/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/build/include/linux/version.h' are the same file
    [root@mitchell2345 modules]#
    the main differance was the folder is not just uname -r but added on the end is .fc6.

Althought files is the same.

After some editing of the second command i got this.

Code:
    cp /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6-i686/include/linux/version.h /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/build/include/linux/version-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6-i686.h
    That when through.

Still getting this error

Code:
    initializing...
    Error:
    kernel includes at /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/build/include do not match current kernel.
    they are versioned as ""
    instead of "2.6.18-1.2869.fc6".
    you might need to adjust your symlinks:
    - /usr/include
    - /usr/src/linux
    error: Bad exit status from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-23396-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.46425 (%install)

RPM build errors:
        Bad exit status from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-23396-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.46425 (%install)
    This is what is in both of those files..
    Code:
    #define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132626
    #define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))
    Last edited by mitchell2345; 18th January 2007 at 09:55 PM.

srussell Guest
    Mmmmkay. Sorry this is so convoluted, but like I said, I didn't realize how many things on my system are different from default. I just booted into the Fedora kernel that you are using, and I think I've got it.

1. You need two version files in /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6-i686/include/linux:

o version.h
    o version-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6.h

They are both the same. Each one needs to contain the line:

#define UTS_RELEASE "2.6.18-1.2869.fc6"
    (along with the other lines originally in the file).

2. I ran into another problem: the installer depends on another file that doesn't appear in the Fedora kernel RPMS. Create another file in /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6-i686/include/linux called "config.h".

Edit it to include:

Code:
    #ifndef _LINUX_CONFIG_H
    #define _LINUX_CONFIG_H
    /* This file is no longer in use and kept only for backward compatibility.
     * autoconf.h is now included via -imacros on the commandline
     */
    #include <linux/autoconf.h>

#endif
    With these changes, the damn thing finally spit out the RPMS. Sheesh!

mitchell2345 Guest
    well good news and bad...

I got rid of that error but now im getting this...

Code:
    Package build failed!
    Package build utility output:
    Building target platforms: i386
    Building for target i386
    Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.47240
    ---------------CUT SOME OF THE LOGS OUT HERE TO SHORTEN IT--------------------------------------
    build succeeded with return value 0
    duplicating results into driver repository...
    done.
    ==============================
    You must change your working directory to /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/lib/modules/fglrx
    and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
    ==============================
    + mkdir -p /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/extra
    + install -D -m 0644 fglrx.ko /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/extra/fglrx/fglrx.ko
    + rm -rf /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/lib/modules/fglrx
    + popd
    /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8
    + /usr/lib/rpm/find-debuginfo.sh /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfglrxdrm.so
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/lib/dri/atiogl_a_dri.so
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_pp.so.1.0
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_tvout.so.1.0
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_dm.so.1.0
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/sbin/atieventsd
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/bin/aticonfig
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/bin/fgl_glxgears
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/bin/fglrxinfo
    extracting debug info from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/bin/fglrx_xgamma
    0 blocks
    + /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-compress
    + /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip-static-archive /usr/bin/strip
    + /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip-comment-note /usr/bin/strip /usr/bin/objdump
    + /usr/lib/rpm/brp-python-bytecompile
    + /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-java-repack-jars
    Processing files: ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6
    Provides: atiogl_a_dri.so config(ATI-fglrx) = 8.28.8-1.fc6 fglrx_dri.so fglrx_drv.so libGL.so.1 libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 libfglrx_gamma.so.1 libfglrx_pp.so.1.0 libfglrx_tvout.so.1 libfglrxdrm.so
    Requires(interp): /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh
    Requires(rpmlib): rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
    Requires(post): /bin/sh /sbin/chkconfig /sbin/ldconfig
    Requires(preun): /bin/sh /sbin/chkconfig /sbin/service
    Requires(postun): /bin/sh /sbin/ldconfig /sbin/service
    Requires: /bin/bash /bin/sh config(ATI-fglrx) = 8.28.8-1.fc6 kernel-module-ATI-fglrx-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 = 8.28.8-1.fc6 libGL.so.1 libX11.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXrandr.so.2 libXrender.so.1 libc.so.6 libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3) libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.3) libdl.so.2 libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0) libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1) libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 libfglrx_gamma.so.1 libfglrx_pp.so.1.0 libfglrx_tvout.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0) libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0) libm.so.6 libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) libpthread.so.0 libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0) librt.so.1 librt.so.1(GLIBC_2.2) libstdc++.so.5 libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2) libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2) system-config-display
    Conflicts: fglrx fglrx-glc22 fglrx_4_3_0 fglrx_6_8_0 kernel-module-fglrx ati-fglrx ati-fglrx-devel kmod-fglrx xorg-x11-drv-fglrx xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-devel nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-legacy xorg-x11-drv-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-legacy
    Processing files: ATI-fglrx-control-panel-8.28.8-1.fc6
    error: File not found: /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/bin/fireglcontrolpanel
    Processing files: ATI-fglrx-devel-8.28.8-1.fc6
    Requires(rpmlib): rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
    Requires: /usr/include/GL ATI-fglrx = 8.28.8-1.fc6 libGL.so.1
    Processing files: kernel-module-ATI-fglrx-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6-8.28.8-1.fc6
    Requires(interp): /bin/sh /bin/sh
    Requires(post): /bin/sh
    Requires(postun): /bin/sh
    Processing files: ATI-fglrx-debuginfo-8.28.8-1.fc6
    Provides: atiogl_a_dri.so.debug fglrx_dri.so.debug fglrx_drv.so.debug libGL.so.1.2.debug libfglrx_dm.so.1.0.debug libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0.debug libfglrx_pp.so.1.0.debug libfglrx_tvout.so.1.0.debug libfglrxdrm.so.debug

RPM build errors:
        File not found: /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-10019-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1.fc6-root-root/usr/bin/fireglcontrolpanel
    The control panel isnt running!

Hopefully this will be the last hurdle.

Thanks for all the responses so far.
    Mitchell

srussell Guest
    Yeesh, now that is something I've never seen! I can't replicate what you are seeing, and I don't know what might be causing the error. You don't have any of the RPMs listed in the output's "Conflicts:" installed, do you? (fglrx fglrx-glc22 fglrx_4_3_0 fglrx_6_8_0 ...)?

Do you have the rpm build tools installed? rpm-build, rpm-devel, rpmdevtools?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont want to run the proprietary drivers, I just want to get my open source radeon working so I can use desktop effects. I have a radeon 9250. (9200pro)

How can I do this? It worked on the first spin of FC6 but since got blitzed in an update.

I want it back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm I appear to have fixed my problem.

seems as if the open source drivers haven't deprecated my card after all.

i switched hypthreading off in my bios and increased the size of my AGP aperture size. I guess one of those must have done the trick.

still only getting 600fps using glxgears..

Jim March Guest
    OK, I'm REAL close to getting this down. I've cured one problem so far: my driver install was puking all over due to a chronic lack of gcc - fixed that with:

yum -y install gcc
    I'm stuck at the next glitch. Here's just the first part of my driver install output:

[root@localhost atidrv]# ./ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run --buildpkg Fedora/FC6
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.28.8............................................ .................................................. ..............
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................
    .................................................. .............................................
    Package build failed!
    This failure to find "fireglcontrolpanel" appears to be the sticking point for me.

I found references to a discussion here on the matter:

http://www.phoronix.net/forums/archi...php/t-318.html

I went so far as to do the "--extract" number on the ATI driver, which worked just fine, then went down to:

cd /home/jim/atidrv/fglrx-install/common/usr/src/ATI
    Sure enough, there was a "makefile" so, I tried "make" all on it's own....

[root@localhost ATI]# make
    make: g++: Command not found
    gcc -c -g -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -funsigned-char -Dlinux -DFGLRX_USE_XEXTENSIONS -DFGLRX_OGL_INFO -DQT_NO_STL -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -I./include_dummy FGLRXExtensions.c
    gcc -c -g -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -funsigned-char -Dlinux -DFGLRX_USE_XEXTENSIONS -DFGLRX_OGL_INFO -DQT_NO_STL -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -I./include_dummy ATITVOExtensions.c
    g++ -c -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -funsigned-char -Wall -W -Dlinux -DFGLRX_USE_XEXTENSIONS -DFGLRX_OGL_INFO -DQT_NO_STL -I/usr/lib/qt-3.3/include -I. -I./include_dummy main.cpp
    make: *** [main.o] Error 127
    [root@localhost ATI]#
    Well that blew up as you can see. At this point I'm in over my head - the other fix involving a symbolic link only seems to affect 64bit systems - I'm on a plain ol' P4. Apparantly the ATI driver wants to find the qt stuff at "/usr/{LIB_DIR}/{MK_QTDIR}/{LIB_DIR}" which in my case is:

/usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib

...which would correspond OK with what ATI thinks is going on.

Soooooo....any clues here? Can I somehow manually compile enough of a "fireglcontrolpanel" to kick-start the rest of the install? Or is that even my problem right now?

leigh123linux Guest
    you need to install the g++ compiler

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast