<---- template headericclude ----->
Webcam video works - but no audio
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Webcam video works - but no audio

Because I love to communicate I got myself a Logitech Communicate STX webcam in the hope that I could get it going with FC6

After much hassle I found that the drpixel repo provided a driver that allows me to use VLC to capture or stream video - however I have spent hours trying unsuccessfully trying to get the microphone working

firstly, I did a yum install from the drpixel repo >
    yum install --enablerepo=drpixel kmod-gspca

Now in System > administration > Soundcard Detection
    I can see two sound cards, the Creative CA0106 that works fine. If I play a test sound it works fine. It also shows the USB Device 0x46d:0x8ad

The Volume Control for the USB Device 0x46d:0x8ad is set at around 70%. I noted that if I set the audio capture in VLC to be 1 channel, the audio stream info in VLC does not show any activity. However, if I set the audio capture to be 2 channels, VLC shows audio activity.

However, when I play back the captured file - I have tried various formats including AVI and MP4 - the video displays fine - but no audio at all - even though again VLC is reporting there is an audio stream.

If I play another audio file, it works fine. I also tried to play a file on another PC - but again no audio - only video.

One final point - when I setup Ekiga - it correctly shows that the audio output is via CA0106 and audio input is via USB Device 0x46d:0x8ad. However testing the Ekiga audio settings also does not output any audio.

Hoping someone can help me identify the problem.

ta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps another alternative - if no one has any suggestions on the Logitech Communicate STX audio problem - does anyone have a low-cost webcam working on FC6 with both audio and video working?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a while since you posted this...did you ever get your mic working? I read some posts where some people had it work out of the box so I'm wondering if I'm not just missing a package or something.