<---- template headericclude ----->
Are Fedora repository servers down?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Are Fedora repository servers down?

Hello everybody.

I have just closed the terminal after attempting to install skype through yum. It could not be installed because yum returned an error message telling:
    WARNING: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
    After that I opened yumex and it told me that extras and updates where down too. Are those servers offline due to maintenance? Or are my yum config files screwed?

Thanks.
    Joe.
    Notebook: Acer Nitro 5
    AMD Ryzen 5 2500U @ 2.0GHz, 32GB DDR4,
    480GB M.2, 480GB SSD.
    Fedora 39 x86-64.

Wayne Guest
    Nothing to do with the servers but is Skype in the repos? I got the FC5 RPM from their download page:

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

Edit: Servers do seem to be down

Wayne

Moustacha Guest
    i'm getting the same problem with core (at the least) with yum update. but opening the address in firefox works =\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne: I found the same RPM but did not install it because I saw it was i586, anyway I was not even able to search it in the repos, and, it it is there I definitely prefer the version provided in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustacha
    i'm getting the same problem with core (at the least) with yum update. but opening the address in firefox works =\
    It is good to know it is not a problem with my configuration files, I guess it will be a matter of hours before they are available again.

Thanks.
    Joe.
    480GB M.2, 480GB SSD.
    Fedora 39 x86-64.

Wayne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joe.pelayo
    Wayne: I found the same RPM but did not install it because I saw it was i586, anyway I was not even able to search it in the repos, and, it it is there I definitely prefer the version provided in them.

It is good to know it is not a problem with my configuration files, I guess it will be a matter of hours before they are available again.

Thanks.
    Joe.
    i386, i586 and i686 are mostly generic terms theses days to refer to the 32bit PC architecture. In this case I wouldn't worry about it too much. The version I mentioned installs and works fine. Hell, I have RPMs installed that were originally made for FC4 and are labelled i386! In fact, most stuff from the repos carries the 'i386' suffix. It may only be a problem if you're running a 64bit CPU.

BTW. What repo is Skype in then?

Wayne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rondonjin
    i386, i586 and i686 are mostly generic terms theses days to refer to the 32bit PC architecture. In this case I wouldn't worry about it too much. The version I mentioned installs and works fine. Hell, I have RPMs installed that were originally made for FC4 and are labelled i386! In fact, most stuff from the repos carries the 'i386' suffix. It may only be a problem if you're running a 64bit CPU.

BTW. What repo is Skype in then?

Wayne
    I have noticed about that i386 terminology in the repos, however since the differences between i586 and i686 (mainly in packages that require a i586 or i686 kernel to install) I was reluctant to install the Skype i586 package. However if I do not find it in the repos (when they become available again) I will install that i586. I am not that rushed to install it.

By the way I guess that, if available in the repos, it is in the extras one.

Joe.
    480GB M.2, 480GB SSD.
    Fedora 39 x86-64.

Wayne Guest
    You'll probably find the only package on your system that has the 'i686' label is the kernel, everything else will be labelled 'i386' (Unless like me, you've installed third-party packages marked i486 or i586)

Wayne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll probably find the only package on your system that has the 'i686' label is the kernel, everything else will be labelled 'i386' (Unless like me, you've installed third-party packages marked i486 or i586)

Wayne
    Other packages with i686 are the kernel related stuff (mainly modules). The rest I have are i386 or source.

Joe.
    480GB M.2, 480GB SSD.
    Fedora 39 x86-64.

Wayne Guest
    Other packages with i686 are the kernel related stuff (mainly modules). The rest I have are i386 or source.

Joe.
    I rest my case

Edit: did you ever have an i386? I threw one out, along with a i286 (both laptops) a few months ago and threw out a desktop i286 (NEC PC-9801RX21 twin 5" floppy drives bought in 1989) a few years ago

Wayne
    Last edited by rondonjin; 13th May 2007 at 06:55 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rest my case

Edit: did you ever have an i386? I threw one out, along with a i286 (both laptops) a few months ago and threw out a desktop i286 (NEC PC-9801RX21 twin 5" floppy drives bought in 1989) a few years ago

Wayne
    No, I did not have a 386 computer myself. In the high school I used to work with a 386 but my first computer was an AMD K6-2 based one (586 I think).

Joe.
    480GB M.2, 480GB SSD.
    Fedora 39 x86-64.

Wayne Guest
    No, I did not have a 386 computer myself. In the high school I used to work with a 386 but my first computer was an AMD K6-2 based one (586 I think).

Joe.
    You're obviously a year or two younger than me then

Wayne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're obviously a year or two younger than me then

Wayne
    Perhaps we are of similar ages (I am 23 years old), but don't forget the fact that mine is a 3er world country and technology is not so widespread. Or perhaps it was normal to use 386's in 1997.
    Or perhaps the problem is that my parents put me in a nun's high school (don't ask).

Joe.
    480GB M.2, 480GB SSD.
    Fedora 39 x86-64.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with yum seems to be more serious that I thought, here is the complete yum output:
    [root@localhost joe]# yum search skype
    Loading "installonlyn" plugin
    Setting up repositories
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mir...re-6&arch=i386 error was
    [Errno 14] HTTP Error 500: Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 06:23:45 GMT
    Server: Apache/2.2.4 (Fedora)
    Content-Length: 632
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
    Connection: close

Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
    [root@localhost joe]#
    It seems to be something with character encoding because I manually surfed the web to the website pointed in the error message.

Joe.
    480GB M.2, 480GB SSD.
    Fedora 39 x86-64.

Wayne Guest
    Perhaps we are of similar ages (I am 23 years old), but don't forget the fact that mine is a 3er world country and technology is not so widespread. Or perhaps it was normal to use 386's in 1997.
    Or perhaps the problem is that my parents put me in a nun's high school (don't ask).

Joe.
    Actually, apart from the religious aspects, which I don't care for, Catholic schools provide a good education. My eldest son went to a Catholic pre and primary school up to 6th grade. He's now in high school at another international school in Tokyo. I won't give the name for security reasons.

In some 'real' third world countries, the only chance of an education kids will get is if they become part of religious scene (Buddhist apprentice at a wat, etc)

I told you our ages were not so different, I'm only 28 (50 actually but I feel 28, especially when I see cute young girls)

Wayne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, they're down (repos aren't but mirror listing is so in the end it's the same result: yum doesn't work.) but using the Smart package manager works fine still.
    Firewing1
    [+] My open source software and blog
    [+] Some of my howtos: (for full list, click here)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast