<---- template headericclude ----->
Wayne's personal rules for posting
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Wayne Guest

Wayne's personal rules for posting

These are just my personal rules I set myself for starting a new thread on the forum. Others may not agree with me but it's something I care about.

First I do a Google search for Fedora Core x and the problem, if there's a hit it will probably link to a thread in this very forum. If I can't find a suitable answer I will explicitly use the forum search function, maybe using a couple of different search criteria to be sure. When I'm satisfied that I can't find the answer then I'll post a question. It may seem to be a waste of time for some people, especially if they're in a hurry and who isn't if something is not working and it should, but it worries me that there may be one or more threads already on the topic and it's unfair to waste forum members' time by them having to answer the same thing over and over again. It's not an infallible system but it works for me

Anyway, just my 2 yen plus 5% consumption tax

Wayne

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'mornin' Wayne. Here's Jman's classic post on the subject, which we have as a 'sticky' under each Forum: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=119761 While I can understand some members' frustrations at having to repeat the same post time after time, there are a couple of options that I can offer.

1). Copy off your standard response and save it as a file and simply paste it in. Saves a minute or two of typing.

2). Ignore the post - somebody else will either answer it or the OP will end up at Ubuntu or buying Vista
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with #2 if I were you.

Wayne Guest
    Yeah, I'm going out first thing in the morning to get a copy of vista and if I can't get aero (isn't that a chocolate bar?) to work smoothly on my Celeron 1.4/512Mb RAM I'm going to be annoyed.

Back to my Morse... I said MORSE not MOOSE!

Wayne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember a similar thread not too long ago. Is that to say the search function was not used before this one was posted
    Desktop (64-bit) - F12, Debian Sid, OpenSUSE 11.2, ArchLinux

Wayne Guest
    It was probably one of those days. Now it's one of those evenings, which means it's time for a brew or 4

Wayne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pretty much go with #2 these days, its quite frustrating to see loads of threads on things like NTFS, wireless, webcams etc; that have been done to death already.

One thing I really hate is when people start their questions with "hi [newline]" as then that's all that shows up in the mouseover text, so I actually have to click the link to see if I'm even interested in answering (also because they've put a vague subject).

I wonder if its time to archive the entire forum and start from scratch so there's less threads to wade through for answers.

Maybe make a Fedora7 forum, which will have only current issues, kind of how Fedora works - once or twice a year you get a fresh distro and forum. I suspect that there's few issues that were in FC2 that still exist in FC6/7, so why have them returned in your search results? CentOS have versions on their forum, i.e. they've just added CentOS 5.

As part of the archiving of old threads, we could add the useful/popular ones to the FedoraFAQ, or just the forum FAQ/stickies.

Note that by archiving, I don't mean deleting, I mean moving to another part of the forum, or even another subdomain, like fc6.fedoraforum.org it would make spidering of the sites more relevant too.

It should vastly reduce the load on the database servers, for example a search for "wireless" returns 500 results (I assume that's the limit) and took 13 seconds, now how many of those are relevant to FC6/7? Interestingly a search for "webcam" returned 418 results and took 1.4 seconds, so I assume that's a cached query.... Anyway, adding a "WHERE distro = n" should reduce query time by n-1/n (e.g. distro=7 would mean not having to search through 6/7ths of the threads).

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One easy way to avoid the 'old' threads is to use the Advanced feature of the Search engine and then restrict the length of time that the search is for. You can have it search from Yesterday up to a Year "and newer", or for those old chestnuts "and older". I'll agree though that the Search feature is not as perfect as I'd like to see it. I'd like to 'include' or 'exclude' specific words and phrases to avoid 500 returns on NTSF and YUM, but then I turn to Google and can restrict the criteria to the thread I'm really searching for.

As to starting from scratch; it's Ewdi's baby and he'll make the changes when he feels they are right and he has the time. He has sole control of the code for the site.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always browsing the "new posts" and clicking the links that look relevant to myself or if I feel I can help answer the question.
    If you're not questioning my sanity, I'm not trying hard enough

JN4OldSchool is offline "Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, same old thing with some new thoughts. I like old threads up to a point. Many old answers still hold true. But I have seen a few people still running FC3 this last month. WTF? I mean, like hello, Linux is free...Maybe a two previous version cutoff date for old posts? That should get rid off some unneeded terrabytes right there. Anyway, you are right Bob, it is Ewdi's baby. I have a nice file going for method #1 but latley I have reached the point where if I dont feel like giving it the personal touch I will stick with ole #2 and go back to shooting the breeze with my buds...

Seve is offline Retired Community Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rondonjin
    These are just my personal rules I set myself for starting a new thread on the forum. Others may not agree with me but it's something I care about.

First I do a Google search for Fedora Core x and the problem, if there's a hit it will probably link to a thread in this very forum. If I can't find a suitable answer I will explicitly use the forum search function, maybe using a couple of different search criteria to be sure. When I'm satisfied that I can't find the answer then I'll post a question. It may seem to be a waste of time for some people, especially if they're in a hurry and who isn't if something is not working and it should, but it worries me that there may be one or more threads already on the topic and it's unfair to waste forum members' time by them having to answer the same thing over and over again. It's not an infallible system but it works for me

Anyway, just my 2 yen plus 5% consumption tax

Wayne
    Hello Wayne:

Noble cause and effort, however I think one of your earlier threads said it all !

Doesn't anybody read?

Seve
    Registered Linux User: #384977
    .................................................. ............
    See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)