FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question CDROM not Found?

Hi,

I jsut finished downloading the 64 bit iso of Fedora core 7 and I tried to install it but something strange happened.

After having gone through the first few installation screens and being asked what language, keybooard layout i wanted, etc...I recieved a message saying that the Fedora DVDROM was nowhere to be found. Odd. The DVD is in the dvd-rom drive and everythign seems fine but no matter what I do i get my dvd spit out of my drive and the fedora installation scren telling me it doesnt recognize the dvd.

Any help appreciated.

GarryFre Guest
    I wish I could help, but this so far makes three of us who cannot install Fc7.

I even tried the network install, and the installer for ftp or http takes two required fields, a server url, or ip address, and a directory on the server but then prepends two // before the directory name so that you get something like this ...

ftp: or http://servername.dom//directorypath

and of course this will never work.

I know this install must work on certian machines but it seems that the problem lie with machines that have ide and sata drives too and I am very frustrated but I cannot express my displeasure, and my opinion of this iteration of Fedora without stepping on toes, so I won't.

All I will say is for people with a d865 perl motherboard, and those like it, this distro is most frustrating of them all.

And the bug where the system can't even build up a decent ftp or http url to get the packages is inexusable.

joeborg Guest

DVD Issues here too...

Hi There,
    Same seems to apply to me. Let me know if you find a solution to this. The DVD just isn't recognized when I chose the CDROM option as an install method. I have an EIDE Pioneer DVR109 and then SATA drivces so maybe that's part of the issue?

I've also tried installing over the net but it gets stuck once I get to the gui.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for telling me that I am not alone. I never thought the fact that I had both SATA and EIDE drives on my system would be the cause, I never noticed such an error with previous distro's.

My computer is configured with two primary SATA (raid configured) drive and a slave EIDE drive that i wish to install Fedora on. Perhaps deactivating or unpluggin my SATA drives wil help.

Any other help appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine did the same. Using x64 edition. However, putting it back in several times, hitting enter, it finally caught. Installing now. I'll see if any other problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F7 wants CDROM not DVD?? HUH??

I'll join the party.
    I'm trying to update FC6 which is installed on a SATA drive. The installer asks "What type of media contains the packages to be installed" and gives the options of ;

Local CDROM
    Hard Drive
    NFS Directory
    HTTP

Why is the installer not seeing the DVD drive?
    The drive it booted from is the master on the secondary IDE and yet it is unable to use it?? Anybody got a solution to this?

GarryFre Guest
    I tried the reinsert and retry approach about 15 times, no dice for me but the fact that it did work eventually leads me to the conclusion that it has to do with something I had trouble with with an earlier Fedora installation ....

I kept geting an error that a file did not exist on the cd but clearly it was right there on the disk. I noticed that the disk barely lit up when trying to find the file, and it just seemed to me that the time it spent looking was simply not enough to allow for a complete search of the CD and I thought it was not loading the entire cd in ram.

So, I issued some junk command, I just typed in some random set of characters like wehrowewernhew and hit enter, it did a LONG search before it gave up.

Then I went and tried to continue the install and it worked fine from there, so I posted that those having this issue should type garbage or some other thing like it to get it to work. Yep, I believe I originated the "Garbage install fix".

Now again, I have not just a cd but a DVD and I believe the same issue is happening, but this time issuing some random command doesn't fix the issue.

maybe if I tried to run a fsck on the cdrom device it might get it to work.

I know the thing is not doing a mediacheck as it is supposed to be doing even when I issue it.

This however does explain how someone used something called renderer and punjii tools to split the cd into two install DVD's and got it to work.

joeborg Guest

CDROM not Found

Hi There,
    Still haven't found any fix for this issue - unfortunately I have no large USB drive to place the ISO on. That said, these are my findings so far:

Passing any kernel options doesn't seem to make much difference; I've tried:
    nodmraid (even though I need it I thought I'd see it the CD spins up).
    http://docs.fedoraproject.org/releas...VAIO-Notebooks still had no effect
    generic-pic-ide

I then had a look at the kernal and system messages when this was happening (Ctrl+Alt+F2 to F6 I believe) and noticed CRC error warnings in trying to read scd0. Now I know the DVD is fine. It spins up in Windows and on FC6 so I do not think this is a hardware or a media issue. What struck me as being wrong here is that the DVD Drive is recognised as an scd (SCSI) device when on my FC6 install it's an hda device. I think the issue lies somewhere in detecting the DVD Drive as a normal EIDE drive...

Joe

kirsche_msk Guest

Same problem

I can't install F7 from DVD either.

Setup tryies to load ata piix driver, and than doesn't recognize my SONY CDRW/DVDRW DW-26A drive.
    So it asks for driver disk. OMG.

My downloaded image was on FC6 Ext3 partition, so finally I told installer to use HDD and typed path to th ISO image, it helped to start installing OS.

But anyway F7 cannot be installed because installation stops its' progress on "installing TeX fonts" - it's 95th packet form about 900. It runs into dead loop with HDD reading cycles.

Don't know what to do....

:Update:

I found that this is an IDE issue.

When I gave DVD-drive separate IDE channel (dedaicated cable) - it started to work perfectly, both with DVD and liveCD images.

But that's not very good. My DVD drive doesn't work in pair with 80Gb seagate HDD and works somehow with200GB seagate HDD on the same cable with slow boot-up in BIOS.

:Update2 - some details i had previously with liveCD:

scsi1: ata_piix (setup stops here for a minute)
    ata2: port is slow to respond be patient (state 0x90)

and than...

port failed to respond

input: USB HID ...
    Warning: cannot find root filesystem
    Create symlink /dev/root and then exit shell to continue the boot sequence
    bash: no job control at this shell
    bash...
    Last edited by kirsche_msk; 3rd June 2007 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I have the same problem and have tried retrying the 15 times which didn't work for me. Also tried passing ide=nodma noapic and acpi=off to the kernel. Tried copying and mounting the ISO on my Server and FTPing to it which was a no go... My DVD drive is the only device on the cable, I don't have a 4GB flash drive... it looks like I'm stuck .

Any other ideas?

GarryFre Guest
    Interesting Kershe. I have heard that it is not a good idea to have a CDROM DVD device on the same cable as a hard drive and yet, I had a dedicated cable separate channel and I still had an issue.

I did get it installed by doing a network install. I found that the program's error message formats the URL it is trying to http or ftp from is wrong, showing a // between the server name and the server name when it really is the correct string.

You might end up like I did, reading documentation like I did with an incomplete URL

For example a user quoted to me this string limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/linux/7/

The reality is that is incomplete, I had to find the rest of the string by finding the stage2.img file according to the error messages I saw via the alt F3 or is it F4?

So to do a network install I needed this ....

Server name needed to be ...

limestone.uoregon.edu

Url needed to be ...

limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/linux/7/Fedora/i386/os/

The installer will search for the stage2.img under the images directory under the above url.

One warning, a nasty Caveat!!

I hit the "Release Notes" button to read it while installing so as to avoid problems, about 2 hours into the install. This resulted in a blank page showing and the installer locking up tighter than a drum!!

Under no circumstances attempt to read the release notes during install or you will end up having to hit reset and redoing the entire thing as I did, which is pretty sick.

I also noted that the system wrote to the MBR of my first Sata drive which is my windows boot drive DESPITE the fact that I told it to boot from my first IDE hard drive because I had a boot manager I wanted to use.

Normally this would result in a mess having to boot some utility to restore my boot sector, but Fedora's grub works fine except that it did NOT detect my ubuntu linux install but I have access to that via boot.ini

Well, now that there are some specifics, maybe those of us having this difficulty can at least do network install.

I find it rediculous that every time I've searched for info on doing net install, I've recieved this kind of incomplete information. If I'm going to bother to give someone an answer to their question it only makes sense to give complete information.

I remember when people were so excited about another distro, I had to do a net install on, it was six days of google searching and cajoling info on the irc chat before I finally got a complete boot string.

If it weren't for outdated or incomplete documentation documentation that doesn't stay on point, there would be a lot more happy linux users with linux on their system instead of sweeping up shards of an install cd.

dwave Guest
    Long ago, in the times of RH 6.x, I had similar problems with CD-ROM drives that where jumpered cable-select (CS). Jumpering the drive to either MA or SL fixed the problem for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a workaround assuming you have another linux machine handy...

1. Copy .ISO to server
    2. Mount .ISO somewhere in filespace (e.g. mount -t iso9660 /root/F-7_x86_64.iso /usr/local/fedora -o loop)
    3. Export to NFS add "/usr/local/fedora 192.168.0.0/24(ro,sync)" to /etc/exports.
    4. The howto's I read said run "exportfs" but I couldn't get it to work without doing"service nfs restart".
    5. Boot to install DVD, choose NFS and put server IP in first box and "/usr/local/fedora" in second box.

Worked for me! Keep in mind I just wrote all that from memory, I think that's the right format for /etc/exports...

Richard

joeborg Guest

DVD set to Master

Just checked and my DVD drive is set to Master so I doubt that's the issue either....

Joe

glenngds2006 Guest
    I found my own solution--an external USB hard drive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast