<---- template headericclude ----->
Procedure for enabling Intel 4965 Wireless card using IntelLinuxWireless.org driver
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    ciphermonk Guest

Procedure for enabling Intel 4965 Wireless card using IntelLinuxWireless.org driver

After many attempts to use the pre-compiled modules unsuccessfully, I decided to build the driver using the kernel, mac80211 and iwlwifi sources...

First of all, if you have the mac80211 or any of the iwlwifi packages installed, remove them

yum remove iwlwifi iwlwifi-kmdl mac80211-kmdl mac80211

Next pull down the latest source from kernel.org. I used 2.6.21.5

mv linux-2.6.21.5.tar.bz2 /usr/src/kernels/

tar jxvf linux-2.6.21.5.tar.bz2

Assuming that you have a Lenovo T61 or any other laptop with a dual core 2 processor, you can use the attached kernel config called config-premac80211.conf. Assuming that you're going to use it, copy it to /usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.21.5/ Be sure to rename it .config and then as root run

make oldconfig

make

make modules_install

make install

This will generate the Makefile for the kernel using the supplied config, compile the kernel and modules and finally install it. It adds an entry for the kernel in your grub.conf

Reboot your machine select the newly compiled kernel when the grub menu appears.

Obtain the latest builds of the mac80211, iwlwifi, and 4965 microcode/firmware tarballs from http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=mac80211&n=Downloads

I used the 9.0.0 build of mac80211 and the 0.0.35 build of the iwlwifi driver. Also be sure to get the firmware for the 4965 wireless card. With those downloaded, the procedure is as follows

tar zxvf mac80211-9.0.0.tgz

cd mac80211-9.0.0
    sudo make patch_kernel

This applies the patched mac80211 stack to the kernel. You'll next want to goto the directory containing the kernel source /usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.21.5 and rebuild your kernel again using the following procedure. The following commands are to be performed as the root user.

cd /usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.21.5
    make mrproper

Now copy the other config file that I've upload (config-post-mac80211patch.conf) to /usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.21.5. rename it to .config Now rebuild your kernel using the same procedure used earlier

make oldconfig

make

make modules_install

make install

Reboot your machine and select the 2.6.21.5 kernel. We're almost done, All that's left now is to untar and copy the fireware to the correct location and compile the iwlwifi kernel module. The procedure that I used is as follows.

tar zxvf iwlwifi-4965-ucode-4.44.15.tgz

sudo cp iwlwifi-4965-ucode-4.44.15/iwlwifi-4965.ucode /lib/firmware/

sudo chmod +x /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965.ucode

Now for the iwlwifi driver...

tar zxvf iwlwifi-0.0.35.tgz

cd iwlwifi-0.0.35

sudo su

make

make install

modprobe iwl4965

If all of that ran without returning errors, you're all set. If you run /sbin/iwconfig you should see wlan0 listed there. From this point you'll want to do some clean up work like adding a line to /etc/modprobe.conf that looks like this

alias wlan0 iwl4965

You can now use NetworkManager or the wireless config tool of your choice to connect to your wireless network. I use NetworkManager and did the following to enable it

Adds services to runlevels 2, 3 and 5

chkconfig NetworkManager on
    chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher on

Starts the NetworkManager and NetworkDispatcher services

sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkDispatcher start

This information is provided as is and without guarantee. Your results may be different to mine, but I found this to be the least painful way to use the native drivers. I invite you questions or comments. Please let me know where I was unclear or left out a step.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ciphermonk; 6th July 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a minor typo. There is an suco in there. (should be sudo)

ciphermonk Guest
    Thanks... spelling typo fixed

ciphermonk Guest
    Updated to add enabling NetworkManager and NetworkDispatcher

SyXbiT Guest
    i'm almost there, but am getting an error.
    when tryint to compile iwlwifi-0.0.34 i get this

[syxbit@localhost iwlwifi-0.0.34]$ sudo make
    Password:
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/source O=/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build M=/compatible/ modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.21.5'
    /usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.21.5/scripts/Makefile.build:17: /compatible/Makefile: No such file or directory
    make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/compatible/Makefile'. Stop.
    make[2]: *** [_module_/compatible] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.21.5'
    make: *** [modules] Error 2

any ideas?

ciphermonk Guest
    can you try becoming root?

sudo su -

then go back to the same directory and do

make clean
    make
    make install

I tested that what I have in the document and it does in fact throw an error. If you become root though, it works fine. I've updated the how-to. If you still run into an error, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help out further.

ciphermonk Guest
    Document updated. The portion about running the make as iwlwifi-0.0.34 needs to be done as the root user; not simply using sudo <command>

I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

ciphermonk Guest
    Guide updated. I verified that the procedures work with the newly released mac 8.0.2 tarball at linuxintelwireless.org.

ciphermonk Guest
    Document updated again. This time there are updates to both mac80211 and iwlwifi. The latest patches put the card in G mode by default and enable more features related to 802.11n. It's worth updating. If you don't do anything with 802.11n then just compile and install iwlwifi. That can be done without recompiling the kernel. I've updated the post patch kernel config to enable the 802.11n features that mac80211 9.0.0 give you. Enjoy! :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what about on kernel version 2.6.26.6-79.fc9.1686

Quote Originally Posted by ciphermonk
    Document updated again. This time there are updates to both mac80211 and iwlwifi. The latest patches put the card in G mode by default and enable more features related to 802.11n. It's worth updating. If you don't do anything with 802.11n then just compile and install iwlwifi. That can be done without recompiling the kernel. I've updated the post patch kernel config to enable the 802.11n features that mac80211 9.0.0 give you. Enjoy! :-)
    your post and updates are from last year
    what about the new kernel does this apply?

when i installed f9 from dvd everything worked i didn't realized after updating the kernel none will work
    thanks

>ruxbo