<---- template headericclude ----->
no boot from hard disk
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    readytotrylinux Guest

Angry no boot from hard disk

hello , I have just finalised my Fedora installation.
    I have loaded it to a second hard disk on my existing (win) doze computer.
    Problem is when i reboot i get an error message saying can't boot . (error loading operating system)
    I am using an older p4 type machine and I have had the fedora disks for some time too. (F4) Finally got up enough courage to load it but now can't use it.
    If i select disk 0 to boot (in bios) it loads doze ok but if i select disk 1 in bios it comes up with the error.
    Any suggestions?
    I have tried to install boot loader on both the disks but neither option works. XP doze still works ok but I can not get in to F4 to try it out help please.
    step by step solution would be nice

Russell
    Last edited by readytotrylinux; 18th July 2007 at 07:05 AM.

eliufoo Guest
    check your grub configuration on linux. It should set on the booting hdd. It will allow you to dual boot from the two OS.

file: /etc/grub.conf

readytotrylinux Guest
    Thanks for the reply.
    Because this is my first time Linux you will have to guide me through step by step.
    How do I check the grub config if it won't boot?

Russell
    Last edited by readytotrylinux; 17th July 2007 at 01:02 PM.

readytotrylinux Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by readytotrylinux
    hello , I have just finalised my Fedora installation.
    I have loaded it to a second hard disk on my existing (win) doze computer.
    Problem is when i reboot i get an error message saying can't boot . (error loading operating system)
    I am using an older p4 type machine and I have had the fedora disks for some time too. (F4) Finally got up enough courage to load it but now can't use it.
    If i select disk 0 to boot (in bios) it loads doze ok but if i select disk 1 in bios it comes up with the error.
    Any suggestions?
    I have tried to install boot loader on both the disks but neither option works. XP doze still works ok but I can not get in to F4 to try it out help please.
    step by step solution would be nice

Russell
    Anyone else with any suggestions please before I spit the dummy and have to re do the whole thing or heaven forbid, give up....

Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi readytotrylinux,

That perfectly describes the situation of GRUB being installed in the first sector of the Fedora boot partition (one of the anaconda options). When you rebooted after installing Fedora, Windows loaded like it always did and didn't know anything had happened. When you switch boot drives in BIOS, the master boot record of the second drive does not find what it is looking for (an active partition with boot code that it can start) and prints that error message.

There are several things you could do and several concepts of dual booting. But an easy one to try is Jim Lawrence's dual boot method. It is a popular method and involves the same hardware scenario as yours. For it to work for you, you will probably have to either reinstall Fedora or install GRUB in the master boot record of your Fedora drive. Reinstalling Fedora would probably take you the same amount of time as compared to learning how to reinstall GRUB today. But read Jim Lawrence's tutorial before you do anything.

If you don't like this idea or it doesn't work, come back and I am certain that you will get more suggestions than you can handle.

P.S.: Someone will surely tell you to get a newer version of Fedora. That's fine but you can still learn these concepts with FC4 since you have it in hand today. Later when you know more, then you can get FC6 or F7.
    Last edited by stoat; 18th July 2007 at 09:49 PM.

readytotrylinux Guest
    Thank you Stoat (cool name), I have already reloaded the F4 before reading your post....dam
    Anyway its different this time. When I leave the boot at Disk0 it boots XP again but when I change the bios to boot disk1 I get a different error message.
    This time it says GRUB _ with the cursor flashing but can not enter anything by keyboard.
    Now I remember reading somewhere that same problem so I will go back and try to find it. I will also read Jim Lawrence's method.
    Further suggestions still very welcome

Russell

More:-
    If I remove the XP DOZE hard disk and try to boot I get :-
    GRUB Hard Disk Error
    Last edited by readytotrylinux; 19th July 2007 at 07:06 AM.

readytotrylinux Guest
    Hi again Stoat,
    That link to Jim does not work for me....
    Is there another one?

Russell

readytotrylinux Guest
    Hi again Stoat,
    In a previos posing I found you recommended getting a super GRUB disk to fix a problem like mine.
    Is this what I should be doing and if so how do I go about it.
    I am working with a laptop now running xp its the only machine that will now connect to the internet.

Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a previos posing I found you recommended getting a super GRUB disk to fix a problem like mine.
    Is this what I should be doing and if so how do I go about it.
    Hi again readytotrylinux,

Jim Lawrence's Wiki is offline a lot. The reason that I recommended it is because you seem to want to avoid installing GRUB in the master boot record of your XP drive (a common enough sentiment). Jim Lawrence's method is one way to accomplish that with two hard drives. To me, you just seemed headed in that direction with the two drives, avoiding GRUB in the XP drive's MBR, and switching drives around in BIOS.

The method involves unplugging the cables from the Windows hard drive, setting the other drive to first in the BIOS boot order, and installing Fedora on that drive with GRUB installed in the master boot record. After that, reconnect the cables to the Windows drive. A tweak to the file grub.conf is needed to get GRUB to boot Windows. The advantage to this idea is 1) that it usually works, 2) the master boot record of the Windows drive is not altered. If you still want to try it...

Jim Lawrence's Dual Boot Method (paraphrased)

There are many methods to dual boot Fedora and Windows. This one is particularly suited for when the operating systems will be installed on separate drives, and the user wants to avoid altering the Windows drive in any way. The method involves unplugging the power cable from the Windows hard drive, setting the other drive to first in the BIOS boot order, and installing Fedora on that drive with GRUB installed in the master boot record. After reconnecting the power cable to the Windows drive, a tweak to the file grub.conf is needed to get GRUB to boot Windows. The advantages to this idea are 1) it usually works, 2) the Windows drive is not altered in any way, and 3) it can help remove confusion in the user and GRUB about where to install things. The method follows below and was paraphrased from Jim Lawrence's Wiki which is off line a lot and why I wrote this.
    1. Windows is installed and working on the first drive in the BIOS boot order. A separate drive is intended for Fedora.

NOTE: Jim Lawrence's instructions in the wiki specify that the Windows drive be on the primary drive cable (or channel) and the Fedora drive be on the secondary channel. But this still works even if the drives are on the same drive channel. It also works with two SATA drives.

2. Power down, open the computer case, unplug the power cable from the Windows drive.
    3. Power up, enter BIOS setup, set the Fedora drive to first in the BIOS boot order. Leave it that way.

NOTE: If your BIOS doesn't let you change the drive boot order, I have done this by using the master & slave pins to change the boot drive. I have also successfully done this method with both drives as masters on separate channels and swapped the primary & secondary cables to change the boot drive. Do that kind of work while powered down in step 2.

4. Install Fedora allowing GRUB to be installed in the master boot record. Reboot and finish the initial Fedora setup.
    5. Power down, reconnect the power cable to the Windows drive.
    6. Power up, enter BIOS setup again to confirm the Fedora drive remains first, continue booting into Fedora and edit the grub.conf file...
      1. Open a terminal
      2. Become root with su -
      3. Open grub.conf with gedit /etc/grub.conf
      4. Add these lines:
        Code:
        title Windows
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        chainloader +1
        NOTE: Change hd1 in the grub.conf code above as needed. It is the GRUB syntax for the Windows drive. If more than two drives exist, it could be something other than hd1.

5. Save the grub.conf file.
    7. Reboot and try booting XP from the GRUB menu.
    There are several other methods to accomplish XP+Fedora dual booting. If this method does not work or you don't like it, come back and I or someone will describe another one.
    Last edited by stoat; 26th October 2007 at 03:38 PM.

readytotrylinux Guest
    Hi Stoat,
    Well things are happening here now.
    I followed the instructions to the letter and for the firstb time I have a F4 screen.
    I log in as root as directions require but when I entered the "gedit " command it came back with "-bash: gedit: command not found.

I feel like I'm close now but can't go any further

Russell

readytotrylinux Guest
    Hi again Stoat,
    I am learning here.
    I found that the command "ed" works
    Now all I have to do is find how the commands work.
    Russell

OK a to append and w to save I think I can do this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the gedit thing. I expected that to be there and the last thing to trip us up. There are others that are surely installed and will be easier to use than ed. Again as su, try these...
    Code:
    nano /boot/grub/grub.conf
    emacs /boot/grub/grub.conf
    vi /boot/grub/grub.conf
    vi will be the hardest to use but still better than ed. The basics of vi to get this job done...

After file is open, press "i" for insert mode (type and edit text, keyboard arrows move cursor)
    When done typing, press <ESC> for command mode (:w=save, :wq=save and quit, :q!=quit without saving)

Important note about editing grub.conf: Always press <ENTER> after each line in the grub.conf file. Apparently, having a newline character at the end of each line is important. Don't forget to do it after the last line.
    Last edited by stoat; 20th July 2007 at 04:22 PM.

readytotrylinux Guest
    Thank you again for your input. I will try your suggestion now.

This is sort of like my old CPM machine back in the late 70's and my early computer with a whole 5 meg hard disk (huge) it brings back memories of computers before the graphical environment and the mouse took over. I think I kike it

readytotrylinux Guest
    Well Stoat I am getting closer....
    Now after editing the grub conf as you suggested I boot to a blue Fedora screen where it says booting Windows XP in 4 seconds.
    And it does.

Thats fine but how do I get to Fedora now????

The nano worked fine
    perhaps I inserted the lines in the wrong place in the file
    I inserted them before the other title lines.

Advice please.

Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats fine but how do I get to Fedora now????
    Reboot. Before that menu counts down, press any key. That will present the GRUB menu from which you can select any OS on the menu. It sounds like XP is the default. You can change that in grub.conf (change the default line value). You can also make the menu show without pressing a key if you like (comment out the hiddenmenu line with a # sign).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast