<---- template headericclude ----->
Font problem in Xfig on Fedora 7
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Font problem in Xfig on Fedora 7

There seems to be a font problem on Xfig in Fedora 7. Whenever I try to add some text (or open up my previous xfig files that had text), I get the following error message.

Can't find -*-times-medium-r-normal--13-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-*, using 6x13

Instead of using the specified font, it uses some default one that is very small. I've verified this on two different F7 machines and I get the same error.

Anybody else got the same problem? More important, is there a way of fixing this?
    QuantumKnot - originator of the "Verne" release name (possibly the last 'normal' release name) :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found a workaround this problem by installing the Xfig that came with FC6.
    QuantumKnot - originator of the "Verne" release name (possibly the last 'normal' release name) :)

mpdavig Guest
    The issue is with a change in xfig 3.2.5 over 3.2.4 and how scalablefonts are handled. In order to use the new FC7 package xfig-3.2.5-1.fc7 and not receive the font errors you speak of you must use the xfig -noscalablefonts option.

To be more specific here is an xfig patch to make 3.2.5 behave like 3.2.4 in regards to scalablefonts:
    Code:
    --- xfig.3.2.5/w_drawprim.c     2007-01-14 19:51:46.000000000 -0500
    +++ xfig.3.2.5.scalablefonts/w_drawprim.c       2007-10-04 16:59:20.000000000 -0400
    @@ -142,7 +142,8 @@
                        strcat(template,"ISO8859-*");
                else
                    strcat(template,"*-*");
    -           fontlist = XListFonts(tool_d, template, 1, &count);
    +           if ((fontlist = XListFonts(tool_d, template, 1, &count))==0)
    +               appres.scalablefonts = False;   /* none, turn off request for them */
            }
            XFreeFontNames(fontlist);
         }
    This code change allows xfig to continue to look for fonts beyond scalablefonts, instead of stopping the search and posting the error messages you describe.

I use xfig frequently and these errors bothered me as well.

Probably the simplest solution is to add an alias (tcsh):
    alias xfig 'xfig -noscalablefonts'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is now and old thread, but I have found a font problem in Fedora 9 also. My solution finally was to go the software install too and install the package xfig-plain. Don't ask me why it works, but it appears to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajorgensen
    This is now and old thread, but I have found a font problem in Fedora 9 also. My solution finally was to go the software install too and install the package xfig-plain. Don't ask me why it works, but it appears to.
    Issuing the following commands seems to solve the problem with Xfig from the standard package (a little bit nicer than xfig-plain):
    Code:
    # mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/
    # mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/