Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st September 2007, 06:30 PM
snd_trap Offline

New to Linux using Fedora 7 on Toshiba Satalite

I have recently decided to try out Linux, which I have decided on fedora 7. I'm in the process of installing it on a Toshiba Satalite.

Looking for any tips or pointers out there for Fedora on a laptop. I have found a lot of sites with all sorts of information. Suggestions would be great. I am new to programming & teaching myself no formal training. Thanks for all.

\J
Old 21st September 2007, 08:13 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hmmm.

OK. Lessons learned the hard way ... and shared.

Tip number one, don't fear the command line! The terminal is actually quite easy to use, and is very powerful!

Two, That being said, there are now GUI tools to do just about anything you need to do.

Three, fedora is a network intensive operating system. You will need to have access to the web.

Four, fedora has a short (almost maniacal) development cycle, but that doesn't mean you need to add every update that comes in across the transom. Pick and choose! Once you get your kernel functioning the way you want it to (video drivers/wireless) ... quit updating it!

Five. Eye candy is really cool ... but as fun as it is, and as nice as it works to put that seething look of envy into the eyes of your Windows-using friends, find a nice productivity/eyecandy mix, and settle into it -- then quit dicking with it. <....>

Six. Set aside two other partitions to goof around with other distros. It'll happen anyway, so you might as well get prepared for it! <....>

Hope it helps!

Dan
Old 24th September 2007, 06:19 PM
snd_trap Offline

Are then any good books or online classes on using the terminal / writting scripts? I have found some web sites with info. Thanks.
Old 24th September 2007, 10:59 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hmmm.

None that come to mind right away, but that's strictly a memory problem here in the wetware. Some of these other guys would be better to ask. My methods are a bit more brute force than finess and learning. I usually select a script, then keep poking at it until I break something.

So ... they'll be along directly. <....>

Dan

Tags
fedora, linux, satalite, toshiba