<---- template headericclude ----->
FC7 - Could not copy install image
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Tor Guest

FC7 - Could not copy install image

Hello,

I must apologize for the rather vague title, as I took the error message from the top of my memory. My problem is that I cannot seem to get FC7 installed on my desktop. It works fine until Anaconda starts copying files to my harddrive.

I either just get an error, and a stacktrace with it, or an error message saying that the installer cannot copy the image to my harddrive - most likely due to being out of free space. I know this is not the problem, since I allocated almost 30GB for the root partition, I actually let Anaconda choose the partitioning itself without intervening, but it still didn't help.

I realize this might be a post with too little information to help me, but I hoped this was a known issue, so help could be found anyway. I have tried searching the forum, but haven't found anyone in a similar situation as me, so I guess I will have to try reinstalling Fedora later so I can get the exact error message.

Christchurch, New Zealand (originally for Switzerland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so I can get the exact error message.
    Yes, it would be realy helpful.

Tray to have a look at the console as well. Thre is normaly more infomation about an error, during the installation. Press ctrl+alt+F1 ctrl+alt+F2 ctrl+alt+F3 ...
    tho.mei

sankaman2k Guest

Having the same issue

I too am having the same problem. I'm trying to install FC7 64 bit version on an AMD X2 system. I'm about to attempt it again with a freshly written DVD and will get an exact error message to post.

sankaman2k Guest
    I have since burned a new copy of the installation DVD. (I burned it to a rewritable DVD previously)
    I inserted the DVD into a different DVD drive. Now I am not experiencing any problems with the installation. I previously was also forced to use the text-based installation wizard because when the anaconda installer probled by video card (Radeon 1950 Pro) it always had a corrupt display image and refused to start.

Since putting the new DVD into the alternate drive I am not experiencing any issues, not even the display problem (installing via the graphic interface now)

Tor Guest
    Hello, thank you for replying, here is the information I was able to find. I'm not entirely sure what is helpful, so I tried writing up most of the messages I thought could help. For the record, I get the same result if I run the installation process in text-mode, and I let Fedora choose the partitioning layout this time, to make sure I didn't **** it up.

It can also be mentioned that I'm quite sure the DVD is ok, since I've used it for installing FC7 on another pc a week ago.

If I were to interpret these results, I would believe there was something wrong with my HD, but I haven't had any problems installing other operating systems on it, and I've even tried installing FC in different places on the harddrive, so I find this a bit strange as well. Is there perhaps a way I can find out?

Graphical
    Code:
    An error occurred transferring the install image to your hard drive. You ar probably out of disk space
    TTY1:
    Code:
    (Anaconda:834) HtmlUtil-CRITICAL **: html_stream_cancel: assertion 'stream->cancel_func != NULL' failed
    (Anaconda:834) HtmlUtil-CRITICAL **: html_stream_cancel: assertion 'stream->cancel_func != NULL' failed
    TTY3:
    Code:
    INFO: moving (1) to step migratefilesystems
    INFO: moving (1) to step setuptime
    INFO: moving (1) to step preinstallconfig
    CRITICAL: error transferring stage2.img: [Errno 5] Input/output error
    TTY4:
    Code:
    <6>sr0: Current: sense key: Medium Error
    <3>Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1647248
    <3>Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1647249
    <3>SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block 0xd085
    <3>SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 341ccbf, size 4846

Szymon_Zy Guest
    Still no luck? The same problem on Acer Aspire 36`3 WLMi with Philips SDVD8441. When i wrote about it few months ago there were no reply from developers. I though that i'm alone with this issue but i see it is common. IMHO the dvd drive is a fault but i had never any problems with it before FC7

Tor Guest
    Well - unfortunately, I only have one optical drive, so I cannot really do anything about it, if it is the DVD rom. Would it perhaps help to download another install image? Perhaps the network install would solve the problem? Do any of you have any thoughts about that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor
    Would it perhaps help to download another install image?
    Check the sha1sum of the ISO image you already have. If it matches the published sum, then it's extremely unlikely for it to be damaged, and downloading it again won't help. If it doesn't match, then you definitely need to get a new, good copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tor
    Well - unfortunately, I only have one optical drive, so I cannot really do anything about it, if it is the DVD rom.
    Perhaps the network install would solve the problem?
    Maybe. You can also store the ISO on a USB flash drive (formatted as FAT32, I think it's a must), use the "from hard disk" install method, and point it the the usb device when prompted. This scenario does not use the DVD drive for the install, only for the initial booting (note: burn the small boot.iso image on a CD).

walter_b_marvin Guest
    This could also be a media problem or a bad track that doesn't map. Try doing a low level reformat of the disk with the utilities that were (hopefully) supplied with the disk.

Boo hiss on fedora for making the install more complicated by, in essence, requiring a dvd drive. try installing the "live" version to disk this seems to work on ide drive, at least

leka Guest
    I have the same problem, trying to install Fedora 7 on my laptop. It's Gericom Blockbuster, with Athlon 2400+ and Radeon 9000. After starting "Transfer install image on hard drive" it gets frozen. Couldn't check anything with Ctrl Alt F1, F2, F3. Only what could do is to restart. It's the same when I did it in text mode. After message "Transfer install image on hard drive" it appear screan full of garbage. I have installed FC6 on this comp without any problem. Also I installed F7 on my desktop without any problem.

Szymon_Zy Guest
    I send it as a bug to bugzilla, still no respond from developers. The iso and disc are ok. SHA1sum is correct, the disc passed media check, and the same dvd works on desktop. I started with redhat 5.2 hurricane, and now i have to swap to different distribution