Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th July 2004, 09:19 AM
makalam Offline

Just couldn't get Samba and Nautilus work together. smbfind, smbstatus all work. Can connect to xp shares using smbclient, I mean samba is working just perfect. But nautilus would not show any samba network. Firewall is turned off for the last 6 days.

I erased all nameserver entries from /etc/resolv.conf and then open mainMenu->network server, and it worked. But that's really not a solution as without DNS internet stopped working (DSL with DHCP/Linksys). May be some of you hopefully will try it and let us know if you get the same weird result and hopefully gurus out there can provide a solution.

Thanks.
Old 30th July 2004, 01:30 PM
Ned Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisflynn
Update: I went to System Setting to Security Level and checked the box saying eth0 is a "trusted device".
If you do that you are effectively turning off your firewall by trusting all traffic in and out of that ethernet adaptor.

You need to open ports 137, 138, and 139 used by the NetBIOS service that windows and samba (smb) use to talk to eachother. Only open these ports for your windows machine on your internal lan that you wish to see

Code:
$ iptables -A INPUT -p ALL -i eth0 -s 192.168.0.1 --destination-port 137:139 -j ACCEPT
If you're unfamiliar with iptables, this will open traffic for all protocols (tcp, udp, icmp) to your local ethernet port 0 from ip 192.168.0.1 (your XP machine wanting to connect) on ports 137-139. Add additional lines for each ip address to be allowed to access or change to -s 192.168.0.0/24 which is the same as a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask to open up access from all IPs in the 192.168.0 range (or whatever private ip address range you're using on your lan).

Ned
Old 1st August 2004, 07:07 PM
makalam Offline

Update on Samba and Nautilus:

I think the problem with Samba and Nautilus started when I changed hostname. I removed samba from add/remove. Then downloaded samba 3.0.5 from samba.org. Changed my hostname.

Tried to install with rpm -i but got a whole lot samba-common error. Installed it with rpm -U and installed just fine.

Nautilus and Samba worked like charm. I don't know but I think when you install samba it hard codes the *then* hostname somewhere.
Old 2nd August 2004, 11:01 PM
superbnerd

one insecure way to fix this problem is to enable WINS support in samba and make sure the ports are open (I think they are 137 udp, tcp and 138 udp and 139tcp). worked for me.
Old 31st December 2005, 03:13 AM
pmulgaonkar Offline

I have the same problem. However, when I edit the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file to add the -A INPUT -p ALL -i eth0 -s <ip address> --destination-port 137:139 -j ACCEPT, and then do a /etc/init.d/iptables restart, I get a syntax error on the line (--destination-port not recognized). I tried with --dport, same result.

Is there a particular place where the line needs to go? Turning off the firewall works fine (except it is obviously risky).

Help is much appreciated. This is the first Linux box I am trying to configure.
Thanks

Tags
fedora, windows