Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th July 2004, 01:33 AM
saikatguha Offline

Exclamation Gnome applications menu empty

My gnome applications menu has suddenly lost all entries. I upgraded some packages last week and restarted X today to find that the applications menu (foot/redhat menu, nautilus applications: etc) are all now empty.

I checked that /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/default-modules.conf is present and matches the one on another box with working menus. /usr/share/applications still has all the entries. The ~/gnome2 directory does not have a vfolders directory or any .vfolder-info files.

$ gnomevfs-ls applications:
does not list anything (but lists the expected folders on the machine with working menus)

Can someone help me recover the menu? Thanks.

Last edited by saikatguha; 17th July 2004 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 17th July 2004, 01:58 AM
saikatguha Offline

Lightbulb Problem fixed

Hmmm. so turns out that /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu had gone for a walk -- recreating it fixed the problem. There was .rpmorig which I copied over; and an .rpmsave which was pointing into a missing /etc/alternatives/applications.menu

The install of redhat-menus-1.4.1-1.1.rhfc2.ccrma.src.rpm ran into a corner case and ended up not creating the applications.menu file which it claims it includes.
Old 17th July 2004, 10:38 AM
marks_linux Offline

Many thanks for posting the self solution, I have just suffered the same issue but hadn't worked it out, was contemplating a re-install as a last measure. I'm glad I read your post in time!!

Mark
40GB Maxtor IDE
120GB Maxtor SATA
ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb
Fedora Core 4 i386 and nowhere to go
Old 11th November 2009, 05:12 PM
liannagreyson

windows_vistaie
Very nice post with a ton of informative information. I really appreciate the fact that you approach these topics from a stand point of knowledge and information
instead of the typical “I think” mentality that you see so much on the internet these days.
Closed Thread

Tags
applications, gnome, menu