Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 20th September 2008, 05:17 PM
twilightomni Offline

Latest update break your USB mouse (or keyboard)? Get them back.

Hey there! If you're reading this, then I bet you, like me, use an external USB mouse. (In my case it's the Microsoft wireless USB mouse with receiver, but, ah, details.) At any rate, after the latest Fedora system update (Xorg went up from 1.4.99 to 1.5.0.1), you may notice that your USB mice no longer tend to work.

What happened? Well, it turns out, they keep tweaking the default settings for auto-detection in xorg.conf. (I have a previous thread on here about fixing touchpad autodetection with the synaptics driver -- same league of stuff, but this time it's USB mice that are having the problem.)

In the modern Xorg world, HAL should autodetect your mice for you. Any Xorg.conf specification should be overkill. That's why the default Fedora xorg.conf mentions as little as possible, and theoretically should work even without an xorg.conf file. But guess what? In Xorg 1.5.0.1, somehow, a default Xorg setting was changed -- it disabled automatic detection of what Xorg calls the "CorePointer" device.

(I'm summarizing, this could be a horribly juvenile understanding of it. But bear with me a bit longer.)

You have two options.

1. We can fix this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (log in as root, and use a text editor) with one line (or three). Add the following lines to your xorg.conf file (you may need to create a new Section, as follows):
Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection
This option right here means that Xorg and HAL will automatically find your mouse for you if you didn't specify one in Xorg.conf -- in other words, Xorg won't allow you to have no input device -- empty input is not allowed. That's a great option. Why isn't it turned on by default?

Good question! It _was_, in Xorg 1.4.99. That's why rolling back your system to 1.4.99 fixes that problem.

2. The second option: install Xorg 1.5.0.2 from updates-testing, or from here: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/upda...er-1.5.0-2.fc9

Version 1.5.0.2 adds the correct AllowEmptyInput setting (off) by default -- restoring the previous behavior.

For those of you who don't want to install experimental updates, option #1 should fix everything up and make sure this problem doesn't happen again -- and it's simple, too.

Here are some links for more information:
Xorg fails to detect keyboard input in 1.5.0.1
This guy on the Fedora Mailing List figured it out.

As always, I might not completely understand how HAL and Xorg work together -- but I believe my explanation here is mostly correct, and my USB wireless mouse is now working again. Try option #1 or #2 and see what happens.

Last edited by twilightomni; 23rd September 2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 20th September 2008, 05:23 PM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

Actually, I don't have that problem, but that's a good write-up. Just thought I'd say so.
Old 20th September 2008, 06:02 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Nice info for those who need to know.

Moved to "Guides and How-Tos". If you (twilightomni) disagree with that move, send me a PM and I'll move it back.

V
Old 20th September 2008, 09:21 PM
cwebster Offline

Thank you twilightomni. That was exactly what was needed. I too was disappointed to find that my mouse stopped working after updating. I'd just finished using "preupgrade" from F7 to F9 and was ironing out some other issues. I thought everything was running pretty smooth until the mouse stopped. Thanks for spotting it and providing a simple fix.

Cal
Old 20th September 2008, 09:32 PM
twilightomni Offline

Well now, the people in the mailing lists and bugzilla's came up with the solution. I just paraphrased.
Old 21st September 2008, 04:17 AM
Victoriab Offline

Thank you!

I have been searching for the last few hours to find a solution!

I tried to downloaded xorg-x11-server-1.5.0-2.fc9... and xorg-x11-server-common-1.5.0-2.fc9..., and rpm - U them... BUT that failed to change my xorg.conf... and I couldn't get yum to like my 'install name' SO glad you have a solution posted. (lol, thank goodness for lynx and wget. )
Old 21st September 2008, 12:46 PM
psorhb1973 Offline

I tried this method of editing the xorg.conf file. As i did so, the X11 wouldn't start up. I ended up having to edit the conf file with vi to remove those lines. It definitely doesn't like the new coding there. Or I'm not putting this in the right place in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Thanks for the help though, kinda sucks, but I'll manage.
Old 21st September 2008, 01:34 PM
Danvitt Offline

Thank you very much, Now that I have taken a crash course in getting around without a mouse I am ready to move on. Worked like a charm. for those noobs like myself i simply added Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off" right underneath ServerFlags since that part was already there and of course EndSection was already there too. make sure to pay attention to caps , maybe I'm wrong but I have a hunch it just may keep it from working.
Old 22nd September 2008, 01:37 AM
twilightomni Offline

psorhb1973, what kind of xorg.conf do you have? Are there a ton of entries in it, or is relatively empty? Maybe it already has a ServerFlags section.
Old 22nd September 2008, 04:58 PM
leedm777 Offline

Talking Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightomni
Well now, the people in the mailing lists and bugzilla's came up with the solution. I just paraphrased.
I'm glad you did. You certainly made my day better. Thanks!!!
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:02 PM
neophytal Offline

thanks, VMware shut my pc off due to a problem and the mouse broke..... now I know why, updates from a bit ago *sigH*
Old 22nd September 2008, 08:51 PM
PascalGR Offline

Thanks man! That was exactly what I was looking for!

I was stucked to this problem and didn't use my laptop at all for few days. Only some basic things from console...

Thanks again and again!!
Old 23rd September 2008, 01:30 AM
psorhb1973 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightomni
psorhb1973, what kind of xorg.conf do you have? Are there a ton of entries in it, or is relatively empty? Maybe it already has a ServerFlags section.

Usually in this case the obvious choice to edit this problem is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. ServerFlag aside, I'm not sure where this line should go, because I edited it at the end of the file, verbatium. Otherwise, I'm using a wired mouse for the time being. Anything with wireless mice in general doesn't work. After the updated, I was getting a message at startup saying USB error on port 4.

I'm at a loss at to what to do next.
Old 23rd September 2008, 01:48 AM
twilightomni Offline

No, I mean, not _where_ is it, but describe it. I suppose maybe just copying it would have been easier. :-\

Do you have a line called Section "ServerFlags" ? If so, you should add the AllowEmptyInput line from the first post right after that. If you don't have a ServerFlags line, then you should add all three to the end of the file, in that order.

Heroic measures: if you really want to make sure it's a problem with USB, and _not_ with your Xorg...then do this.

1. Rename xorg.conf to xorg.conf.bak.
2. Make a new xorg.conf, and add only the three lines above.

Yes, this removes all your previous Xorg.conf settings, but the good news is, it's really getting good at autodetecting that stuff. It shouldn't break your system at all, though your mileage may vary. You may suffer the following problems...

--Wrong screen resolution
--Multimedia keys on keyboard don't work
--Mouse wheel might not work correctly

But if that gets your wireless mouse to work again, then it was just the Xorg problem. If that doesn't work, you may have a deeper problem with USB devices. And in that case I'm afraid I don't know how to help you.

You know how to login with text mode (in case X actually does break), right? After Fedora boots, but your mouse & keys don't work, you can press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to a text prompt. From there, you can login as root and go put back the old Xorg.conf.
Old 23rd September 2008, 04:35 AM
psorhb1973 Offline

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# keyboard added by rhpxl
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

I put the new stuff at the end of the bottom subsection, saved it, rebooted, all I got was text, commanline login prompt. I'm running on i386 version. I've looked at all the xorg setups so its basically there, I'm not sure where those lines should go though, considering they won't work at the end of the script/code.

Tags
break, latest, mice, update, usb