This observed issue is as below :
1. Release 159 was causing problem with audio so went down to release 134.
2. Release 134 was hanging erratically - particularly when mplayer SW was on.
3. Followed advise on another thread and introduced nomodeset vga=0x318
in the grub.conf file.
4. The system appeared relatively stable.
5. However, after about 15 mins - this duration is erratic and is a function of number of processes running - the system would hang, and no response to mouse/keyboard will work.
6. Has been observed while working on openOffice 3.0 (build 9358), and on other occasions while working on Eclipse 3.4.2 C++ gdt., with mplayer running on background.
7. The problem seems intensified with mplayer running, and if mplayer is interrupted/paused, the hanging time is reduced to a few mins. In most instances, the mplayer does not restart at all - but typically, can be made to be force quit. If the mplayer is not started at all from the cold start, the hanging takes place significantly later - after more than an hour or so. But it eventually hangs.
8. Was having problems in installing Flash - but managed later after some helpful guidance from another thread. However, any website that plays sound causes similar effect on the hanging time.
Any advice is welcome. Am relatively new to Linux.
Thanks in anticipation.
HW : Intel 4300 1.8 GHz with on board Realtek sound, add-on NVidia 7300 display card, 2GB RAM, and 60GB Linux partition on an SATA drive. PS2 mouse and USB keyboard.
SW : Gnome desktop, with typically only four major applications used - Firefox, openoffice, Eclipse and mplayer.