The reason for the connect failure through port 9103, was the firewall on the Linux side.
Using system-config-firewall, I opened ports 9101, 9102, 9103 on the Linux side and now
Windows bacula-fd client connects bacula-sd successfully.
Also, I managed to build and install bacula 3.0.2 on Fedora 11
The build steps below are for 3.0.2, including bacula-tray-monitor and
slightly variate from the guidelines in:
tar -xzf ./bacula-3.0.2.tar.gz
yum install qwt qwt-devel
grant_mysql_privileges -u root -p
create_mysql_database -u root -p
drop_mysql_tables -u root -p
make_mysql_tables -u root -p
cp -R ./src/qt-console /usr/local/bacula/
# Start BAT.
/usr/local/bacula/qt-console/bat -d99 -c /usr/local/bacula/bin/bconsole.conf
The bacula-fd for the Windows Vista machine was downloaded from
There is problem that during a long backup job the Windows box switches to sleep mode,
which closes the connection and causes the job to fail.
I added Heartbeat Interval in the config files to bacula-dir, bacula-sd and bacula-fd
services including the Windows bacula-fd client but this didn't resolve the
problem. No packets are sent to port 9101 on the Linux box (monitored using
tcpdump tcp port 9101)
Disabling Windows from switching to sleep mode solved the problem, but this doesn't look to me like the right solution