Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th September 2010, 03:02 PM
warpino Offline

linuxchrome
Changing gnome-terminal profile from command line

Hi all,

what I'm trying to do is swittching to a different gnome-terminal profile when doing "su" or "su -".
What I also want to do is reverting back to the previous profile when exiting from su.

I've tried many different things:

1) using the setterm command. This is nice, but only works with 8-bit colors, right? I want the fancy 32-bit colors gnome-terminal appearance.

2)setting the PS1 environment variable: same as above

3) using the gconftool-2 command. This is the most attractive way but a bit cumbersome:

as far as I've seen the current tab/window profile is not stored anyway, so I have to write a script with gnome-terminal --save-config=FILE | grep ProfileID in order to know what the current profile is,

backup the current profile gconf keys with gconftools-2 --dump

use gconftool-2 --set and change the colors in this way

so far it's quite ok. But then how can I revert back to the previous profile? a gconftool-2 from the new shell is not going to work (I guess because gconfd is not runnig for the new (super)user.

Does anyone have any suggestion for all this?

Regards,

w.

Tags
changing, command, gnometerminal, line, profile