Can you upgrade from 12 to 14?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you upgrade from 12 to 14?

Hi,

Can I upgrade a fedora core 12 to version 14?
    Or do I first need to upgrade to 13?

+ a link to a howto would be great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can you upgrade from 12 to 14?

For upgrade fedora from 12 to 14 you must only have an install dvd available in http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all

I' m sorry about my horrible english.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you can try. I don't think it is recommended to skip a release.

In any case, before any upgrade, you should back up everything essential, either to a separate /home partition you won't be overwriting or to storage. You should be prepared, in other words, for the upgrade to fail, and to leave your system in such a tangled mess that it isn't worth the trouble to try to fix.

There was some talk about this issue on the Users Mail List yesterday:
    http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...er/386527.html

My own solution to this, after problems with upgrading several releases back, is to keep my current fedora system and install the new version fresh in a dual-boot setup (I actually also have another distro installed as well). This way I can customize the new release at my own pace, and problems don't leave me without a working system. Once you have your box set up to boot more than one OS it is trivial to add another, and disk space is cheap these days.

Here's the fedora Installation Guide on upgrading: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...ch-upgrade-x86

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonoran
    My own solution to this, after problems with upgrading several releases back, is to keep my current fedora system and install the new version fresh in a dual-boot setup (I actually also have another distro installed as well). This way I can customize the new release at my own pace, and problems don't leave me without a working system. Once you have your box set up to boot more than one OS it is trivial to add another, and disk space is cheap these days.
    I always do a new install and no upgrade because with a new installation I have a fresh and stable system and after an upgrade often appear problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And after an upgrade, whenever you think there is a problem, there is the nagging question "is this a result of the upgrade?"

On the other hand there are lots of reports of successful upgrades - there's a link here on the forum to a bugzilla thread where Linus (Himself) said he did a yum upgrade from fedora 13 to 14.

If you've backed up your important files, there's no harm in giving it a shot. Just be prepared to bail out if it goes wrong. From what I've read, trying to repair a botched upgrade can be a nightmare.