Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th November 2011, 12:02 PM
rsoul9090 Offline

linuxchrome
Fedora 16 Display problems

I have used Fedora 16 for the past 4 days, I still could not get a proper display. First, as I posted previously, my display card is ati radeon HD 4350, I had blank screen, flickering, garbages at login, while using goolge chrome. I followed the instructions from fellow users but to no avail. So, I downloaded the new ati driver 11.10 from amd.ati website, installed it and ... my computer fall back to gnome classic. Gnome 3.2 gone!!! However, I must say that under gnome classic, Fedora works smoothly, no problem so far.
But what is the point of leaving Ubuntu Unity (see my previous post in Fedora 15 which I had to drop due to the same problem, thinking the problem would be resolved in Fedora 16) to switch to another distro still not capable to address the fundamental issues such as display, etc.
I understand the frustration of the user who was recently banned just because he was so fed up of all the problems the consumer faced in linux os, even in such highly boasted distros like Fedora and Ubuntu.
So, where to go from here: LinuxMint or back to Windows?
Old 13th November 2011, 02:22 PM
A_Vle Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 16 Display problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoul9090 View Post
I have used Fedora 16 for the past 4 days, I still could not get a proper display. First, as I posted previously, my display card is ati radeon HD 4350, I had blank screen, flickering, garbages at login, while using goolge chrome. I followed the instructions from fellow users but to no avail. So, I downloaded the new ati driver 11.10 from amd.ati website, installed it and ... my computer fall back to gnome classic. Gnome 3.2 gone!!! However, I must say that under gnome classic, Fedora works smoothly, no problem so far.
But what is the point of leaving Ubuntu Unity (see my previous post in Fedora 15 which I had to drop due to the same problem, thinking the problem would be resolved in Fedora 16) to switch to another distro still not capable to address the fundamental issues such as display, etc.
I understand the frustration of the user who was recently banned just because he was so fed up of all the problems the consumer faced in linux os, even in such highly boasted distros like Fedora and Ubuntu.
Fedora 16 will do fine, not as robust as windows 7, but ok. But make sure to use the standard xorg radeon driver, the one from AMD will not work with gnome 3. I have a radeon 4250 gpu which works ok with fedora 16 and the gnome 3 shell. the two things I needed to change was to remove the "nomodeset" option on the kernel boot line, and remove the xorg.conf in /etc/X11. after that gnome 3 worked. xfce is another optional environment that works fine with fedora 16 and standard xorg radeon driver if you prefer the old gnome 2 look and feel.
Old 13th November 2011, 05:57 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Or try other desktop environments on Linux. GNOME3 and Unity are both new, and pushing the FOSS graphics stack.

MATE is a continuation of GNOME2, but doesn't seem to be in the Fedora repositories yet. Xfce is pretty similar to old GNOME. KDE is the most similar to Windows 7. LXDE is similar to the Windows 95–XP interface. There are countless others too, but those are the main ones.

Gareth
Old 13th November 2011, 06:13 PM
Dutchy Online

linuxfirefox

I've the same card and do see the artefacts when I login.
I use the open source driver and performance is fine.
Also apart from the weird logon screen I do not have abnormalities at run time (not even with Chromium which I don't use as my primary browser).
That said, if you really want to you should install the AMD driver from the RPM Fusion repositories (but the proprietary driver gave me more screen garbage than before).
Mint is going to use Gnome 3 too so you can either wait (till AMD fixes their act up or Gnome releases their software renderer) or go back to Windows.
Old 14th November 2011, 01:11 AM
rsoul9090 Offline

linuxchrome

Now that I have installed ati proprietary driver, how to purge it and how to reinstall the open source driver? I am still using windows (xp not 7) for video and for scanning (my scanner is not supported by linux), but I am dual booting it with ubuntu for the past two years, and now with fedora 16.
Old 14th November 2011, 10:06 AM
A_Vle Offline

linuxfirefox

I have not done this myself on fedora 16, but several times on fedora 12 and 14.

I assume you used the ati installer since there are no fusion rpms for f16 so far, the amd installer has a uninstall option (--uninstall) that you should try first.

after that, I would reinstall mesa to be on the safe side, as root use something like

yum reinstall mesa-libGL

you should also check the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, I would actually try first without that file,
but there may be tweaks for your input devices you need.

also check the kernel boot line, I cannot get x to start with the right renderer if the nomodeset option is present.
Old 14th November 2011, 01:31 PM
rsoul9090 Offline

linuxchrome

I have uninstalled amd ati driver, reinstalled mesa, rebooted, obtained back Gnome 3. But the display has only two resolutions 1024x768 and 800x600 both 4:3, there is no Xorg.conf file and kernel boot line does not have nomodeset option but radeon.modeset=1. So, how to: set the display to higher resolution 1440x900 16:10, editing the Xorg.conf file? Thanks in advance
Old 14th November 2011, 02:01 PM
A_Vle Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
So, how to: set the display to higher resolution 1440x900 16:10, editing the Xorg.conf file?
with the right driver, renderer etc. the modes should be auto detected, but xorg.conf is the place to override if you need to. which renderer do you get? run glxinfo and look for a string "Gallium 0.4 on xxx". on my hd 4250 I get something like "gallium 0.4 on ati rs880". if you get llvmpipe instead of xxx, gnome3 will probably put your system in fallback mode, possibly with fewer resolution options.
also check xorg.log for hints on which driver you use and error messages.
Old 14th November 2011, 03:02 PM
rsoul9090 Offline

linuxchrome

glxinfo gives:
name of display: :0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:......
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:.....
Xorg.log has so many things, don't know which one is my driver. Thanks for your help to edit a new Xorg.conf file
Old 18th November 2011, 03:16 AM
rsoul9090 Offline

linuxfirefox

I am obstinate to stay with Fedora 16, so I formatted the hard drive, reinstalledl Fedora from scratch. I got Gnome 3.2 but only at lower resolution of 1024x768. It's working fine, a little flickering, no harm. I then did a complete update of my system through softwares updates, the linux kernel now is 3.1.1.-1 fc.16.i686, Gnome 3.2.1. The system work well, but the resolution of my monitor remains the same aka 1024x768 no higher resolution is available in the control panel, no xorg.conf file either. I refuse this time to use the proprietrary ati driver 11.10 which I downloaded from amd website. So, how to set my monitor to higher resolution? Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 03:30 AM
dknation Offline

linuxchrome

Isn't there an display option in system settings?

Check that first.

Else, this is a snippet from man xrandr:
Quote:
EXAMPLES
Sets an output called LVDS to its preferred mode, and on its right put
an output called VGA to preferred mode of a screen which has been phys‐
ically rotated clockwise:
xrandr --output LVDS --auto --rotate normal --pos 0x0 --output
VGA --auto --rotate left --right-of LVDS

Forces to use a 1024x768 mode on an output called VGA:
xrandr --newmode "1024x768" 63.50 1024 1072 1176 1328 768 771
775 798 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA 1024x768
xrandr --output VGA --mode 1024x768
I also have the same graphics card, and I had Gnome 3.2 up and running with no problems except for the ugly mess during the final seconds of boot.
Old 18th November 2011, 03:41 AM
rsoul9090 Offline

linuxchrome

There is of course the display settings, but it offers only two resolution 1024x768 4:3 and 800x600 4:3
I have tried xrandr before but the higher resolution disappeared after reboot

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

I have a viewsonic monitor va1931wmaLED, its highest resolution is 1336x768. How to set to that resolution?
Old 18th November 2011, 09:19 AM
A_Vle Offline

linuxfirefox

right, you have a resolution not supported out of the box with the current installer. in the good old days it was almost always necessary to create new modelines to get x up at all, if I list my /var/log/Xorg.0.log your resolution is not listed, actually the closest is 1024x768. try to follow the hints on this page

http://www.x.org/wiki/FAQVideoModes#..._other_size.29

around the section "Obtaining modelines from Xorg log".

you actually need to create your own customized xorg.conf, with a modeline based on those from Xorg.log, but with the correct resolution and sync data. the latter is the most difficult to find for a random resolution, but if it has worked before you should have a good chance.
Old 19th November 2011, 07:53 AM
rsoul9090 Offline

linuxfirefox

I just download the amd proprietary ati driver 11.11 the latest version. I installed and reboot the computer....Fedora 16 fell back to Gnome 2, could not get Gnome 3.2. I prefer Fedora to Ubuntu because of its Gnome 3. Now its clear that the proprietary driver of amd is not compatible with Gnome 3, therefore I could not change my display resolution to higher one. I have tried every advices, tips and tricks, I received from different users, from senior administrator to ordinary ones, none has resolved my problem with Fedora 16.
Conclusion: - To use Gnome 3.2, I have to be content with the free driver, hence with the lower resolution, which I don't like (the screen is wide with big icons).
- Therefore, I am going to drop Fedora 16 (at least for now until the display problem is solved), switch back to my dual boot with Ubuntu 11.04 and win xp.

Tags
display, fedora, problems