Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 28th February 2012, 09:40 AM
jorg76440 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 7
linuxfirefox
Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

Hi folks,

After having searched for a long time for a solution to get the switch between my hybrid graphics cards working, I have found a very interesting post, that should be transmitted to the people involved in the development of FEDORA. It explains why it's not possible to get the proprietary driver for hybrid graphics cards to work (the switch function provided by CCC from AMD/ATI).

I can confirm that the latest AMD/ATI driver works with Fedora 16 up to date and my Radeon HD 6770 M on my HP dv6-6172sf but is unable to switch between the graphics cards and it seems that the problem comes from the --enable-sna option that is not set when the Intel driver 2.17 is compiled. (By the way, can anyone tell me how to compile this driver with that option ?).

Here is the link to the explanation

I am sure this could be useful to Mike A. Harris who works on hardware problems.



Kind regards
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28th February 2012, 10:17 AM
leigh123linux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg76440 View Post
Hi folks,

After having searched for a long time for a solution to get the switch between my hybrid graphics cards working, I have found a very interesting post, that should be transmitted to the people involved in the development of FEDORA. It explains why it's not possible to get the proprietary driver for hybrid graphics cards to work (the switch function provided by CCC from AMD/ATI).

I can confirm that the latest AMD/ATI driver works with Fedora 16 up to date and my Radeon HD 6770 M on my HP dv6-6172sf but is unable to switch between the graphics cards and it seems that the problem comes from the --enable-sna option that is not set when the Intel driver 2.17 is compiled. (By the way, can anyone tell me how to compile this driver with that option ?).

Here is the link to the explanation

I am sure this could be useful to Mike A. Harris who works on hardware problems.



Kind regards
--sna requires pixman 0.24, not available from repo yet


http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/b...buildID=301954

Then rebuild the srpm attached to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: rpm xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.17.0-8.fc16.1.src.rpm (1.47 MB, 145 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28th February 2012, 10:42 AM
jorg76440 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 7
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

I have tried to install pixman 0.24 from where you said but I get :

Unspecified transaction error .... and then
protection contre les différentes versions de bibliothèques*: pixman-0.24.2-1.fc16.x86_64 != pixman-0.22.2-1.fc16.i686

which means in english : "protection against different library versions :"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28th February 2012, 10:44 AM
leigh123linux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg76440 View Post
I have tried to install pixman 0.24 from where you said but I get :

Unspecified transaction error .... and then
protection contre les différentes versions de bibliothèques*: pixman-0.24.2-1.fc16.x86_64 != pixman-0.22.2-1.fc16.i686

which means in english : "protection against different library versions :"
Install pixman-0.24.2-1.fc16.i686 as well
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28th February 2012, 10:48 AM
leigh123linux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
Install pixman-0.24.2-1.fc16.i686 as well
I note you use 64 bit, that's lucky for you
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28th February 2012, 10:53 AM
jorg76440 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 7
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

The last advice worked for installing pixman (You're a great guy) !

Could you please tell me now how to rebuild the srpm ? (Does this have an immediate impact on my actual system ?)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28th February 2012, 11:02 AM
leigh123linux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg76440 View Post
The last advice worked for installing pixman (You're a great guy) !

Could you please tell me now how to rebuild the srpm ? (Does this have an immediate impact on my actual system ?)

The only impact is 300 - 400 Mb harddrive space for the build tools and libs.
First you will need pixman-devel-0.24.2-1.fc16.x86_64 installed

then run (change path to suit)

Code:
su
yum install @development-tools
yum install rpmdevtools
yum-builddep -y /path/to/xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.17.0-8.fc16.1.src.rpm
exit
rpmdev-setuptree
rpmbuild --rebuild /path/to/xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.17.0-8.fc16.1.src.rpm
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28th February 2012, 11:10 AM
jorg76440 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 7
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

Obviously you're implied in the development of Fedora.

Do you think that this will be integrated shortly into Fedora 16 or at least Fedora 17.

Switching between hybrid graphics cards becomes more and more necessary as nearly all recent laptops are equiped with such graphic cards.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28th February 2012, 11:28 AM
leigh123linux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg76440 View Post
Obviously you're implied in the development of Fedora.

Do you think that this will be integrated shortly into Fedora 16 or at least Fedora 17.

Switching between hybrid graphics cards becomes more and more necessary as nearly all recent laptops are equiped with such graphic cards.
Not for F16
Quote:
[11:25:44] <leigh123linux> ajax: Are you going to enable --sna for intel for F16 ?
[11:26:38] <airlied> no
[11:27:07] <airlied> leigh123linux: its totally unstable
[11:27:09] dgregor [~dgregor@pdpc/supporter/active/dgregor] has joined #fedora-devel
[11:27:21] <leigh123linux> airlied: Thank you for the quick answer
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28th February 2012, 11:29 AM
jorg76440 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 7
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

I have a standard Fedora install.

Where is xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.17.0-8.fc16.1.src.rpm normlly situated ?
Do I have to quote --enable-sna ?
__________________
Linux especially Fedora is the right way to keep liberty in computing !
Old linux user for professional and private usage, believe me that Fedora belongs to the best Linux distros on earth !
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28th February 2012, 11:38 AM
leigh123linux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg76440 View Post
I have a standard Fedora install.

Where is xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.17.0-8.fc16.1.src.rpm normlly situated ?
Do I have to quote --enable-sna ?
I built the srpm locally and enabled sna
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28th February 2012, 12:15 PM
jorg76440 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 7
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

Thanks a lot for your quick answers !
__________________
Linux especially Fedora is the right way to keep liberty in computing !
Old linux user for professional and private usage, believe me that Fedora belongs to the best Linux distros on earth !
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29th February 2012, 07:59 PM
Rofl Copter Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 4
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

I am a complete noob at Fedora, and linux in general, will this fix not work for Fedora 16 at all? My laptop is only using the dedicated GPU, and as a result my battery life is awful.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:44 AM
jorg76440 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 7
linuxfirefox
Re: Hybrid Graphics - switch function depending on --enable-sna

I am a longtime user of Linux and am sure that the Linux community will earlier or later implement the switch function. Actually you can switch your hybrid graphic cards with vgaswitcheroo manually ON and OFF. This avoids that you use too much electricity and your discrete graphic card's vent turns on and makes noise. The command for switching the discrete card OFF is (open the terminal first) then type :

su -
(now you will have to enter your administator's password)
echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

If you want to turn it on again, you replace OFF by ON.
__________________
Linux especially Fedora is the right way to keep liberty in computing !
Old linux user for professional and private usage, believe me that Fedora belongs to the best Linux distros on earth !
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
--enable-sna, depending, enablesna, function, graphics, hybrid, proprietary drivers, switch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade to FC13 with hybrid graphics donkeyend Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 0 23rd October 2010 10:44 AM
Does Fedora13 support hybrid graphics? mh3soldier Hardware & Laptops 2 16th August 2010 06:19 PM
[SOLVED] Hybrid Graphics pete_1967 Hardware & Laptops 1 23rd June 2010 09:04 AM
[SOLVED] Firefox’s graphics different depending on whether it starts normally or from startup. Oakems Using Fedora 3 28th April 2010 12:49 AM
Hybrid Graphics mariuszs Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only) 4 22nd May 2009 06:30 AM


Current GMT-time: 21:14 (Thursday, 23-10-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
Comiso Instagram Photos - Tuxtla Gutierrez - Kupchino