I have been having a problem recently on my Acer Aspire One Netbook with Fedora 16 kernel 3.3.7-1.fc16.i686.PAE
I use an o2 mobile broadband dongle (Huawei E270 HSDPA modem) and it normally works fine. But when I restart the machine or bring it out of 'suspend', sometimes Network Manager will not pick up the dongle, even though the blue light on the modem is flashing on and off. My o2 account does not appear on the list of connections.
To sort this out, we need to restart 1 or 2 processes:
1. Open a terminal and type lsusb
– this should show the modem present
2. Type: pidof NetworkManager
– this will give you the process ID number of the Network manager program
3. Type:sudo kill xxxx
- xxxx is the ID number you just found. This will stop the Network Manager – you may need to put your password in. The little icon will disappear from the top panel
4. Type: NetworkManager
The icon will reappear. Click on it and the mobile broadband connection should be there.
If not, then type: pidof modem-manager
and repeat step 3 above.
Then type: modem-manager
and the mobile broadband icon should appear.
Sorry if this is teaching some of you to suck eggs, but I couldn't find any way of 'restarting' a particular process without rebooting the entire system. Hope it helps anyway!