Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th January 2005, 12:28 PM
Metu71 Offline

Creative Wireless Desktop 6000 with FC3

Hi all,

I bought new PC and though that Creative Wireless Desktop 6000 would be good choice with reasonable price with FC3. After installation I noticed that the mouse is jerky and clicks are often lost.

I googled around and all I could find out was that it is some kernel bug. Some posted that the problem is in X. I decided that I will try to find out what is wrong.

I found out after tracing the HID driver, that mouse is sending data very often. This could be seen even without moving or clicking the mouse. I thought that it consumes much system power and therefore can cause jerky mouse if mouse movement data cannot be read from the driver soon enough.

I made couple of test build and found out that the reason behind extra report sending is in hid-core.c (under /drivers/usb/input). This file sets HID report sending intervall to 4ms and for some reason KBD/Mouse device is not willing to change it after that. All other reports are successfully changed back to infinite intervall. The 4ms interval was added to the driver because of some buggy keyboard device. But thats all about the technical bla bla behind the correction.

I made the patch which is attached.

Hope it helps...

I will also contact the official owners of hid driver as soon as I find the time.
Attached Files
File Type: txt creative_WDT6000_fix.txt (6.6 KB, 663 views)

Tags
6000, creative, desktop, fc3, wireless