<---- template headericclude ----->
system freezes after a few hours of operation
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    goll Guest

system freezes after a few hours of operation

Hi all,

I set up a new system (basically a file server) with FC3 that runs very well. Except that it freezes after a few hours of operations - sometimes it even runs a few days. I know, this looks like a temperature problem, but this can safely be ruled out.

The console doesn't print any message before crashing - no kernel panics, no other error messages. It just silently freezes and doesn't react to the keyboard or anything else anymore.

The problem seems to be linked to hard disk accesses. If the server reads or stores a lot of data (large files or many files) then it is likely that it freezes few minutes later. (How stable is LVM2?)

I don't expect you to find out what the cause of this problem is (with these few informations that I can give you here). But can anybody give me a hint, where to look (logs, messages, ...) to get an idea, what makes the system freeze?

Thanks for any hint

Cheers

Rolf

PS: Here's my setup:
    - Via EPIA 800 Mainboard (Via C3 processor at 800MHz)
    - two PATA Maxtor Disks, 200GB and 120GB
    - hda1 (10GB, ext3) for system
    - hda2 (1GB) swap
    - hda3 (189GB) LVM physical volume PV1
    - hdc1 (120GB) LVM physical volume PV2
    PV1+PV2 build logical volume which is mounted on /home
    - DVD-Rom (hdb)

And yes, the same system (but without 200GB HD and without LVM) was running on RedHat 7.3 for 2 years without a single crash! Do I really have to downgrade again?

user11 Guest
    The same thing happened to me, and I found out that my network card was causing the problem. After replacing it, everything ran smoothly again.

goll Guest
    Thanks for the hint.

The network chip is soldered on the mainboard, so it's difficult to replace it. But I can give it a try by putting in a network card... (And why did it work perfectly with RedHat 7.3? Because I used the VIA rhine drivers?)

I also thought of a hardware problem. When I changed one of the IDE cables I had the impression that it crashes less often. But I might be wrong with that...

How did you find out that it was the network card? Just by trying to replace every single piece of your box?

Thank you

Rolf

user11 Guest
    I had the problem for weeks and found it REALLY annoying. Especially when I realized that it would probably take a while before I found out what's wrong.

Btw, I got the impression it crashed less often when I placed an extra fan on my video card.

Well, I was running Windows XP and suddenly I got the message "network cable unplugged". Then I tried removing the network card, and it worked.

Any luck yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the same issue at my work-place - the hint was running ifconfig - the flaky card had a huge number of error packets - on the order of 75% of the TX packets. As an example, the wife's machine (also the NFS server), has an error/TX ratio of 0%. My machine (the NFS receiver) has a ratio of 0.01%.
    Linux User #28251 (April '93)
    Professional Java Geek :cool:

goll Guest

Exclamation

Hi all,

thanks for your hints and suggestions. After hours of search on the internet, and right before giving up, I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!
    - it wasn't a temperature problem
    - the net was working fine (ifconfig reported 0% errors)

then I stumbled on this thread: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ntopic30034.html
    ...and indeed, cpuspeed is the bad guy! Since I turned it off with

> chkconfig cpuspeed off

everything is fine! My server works like a charm now.

I guess, everybody who installs FC3 on a Via Epia 800 board (and maybe on other boards too) will run into this problem. I'll try to inform the Fedora/RedHat guys about this.

greetings

Rolf

tardboy21 Guest
    i think i have a similar problem on my desktop computer. after a few hours of being on, the hard drive will start going crazy but i will not be able to move the mouse or type. Do you think it is the same problem. what will happen if i run 'chkconfig cpuspeed off' in a terminal?

goll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tardboy21
    Do you think it is the same problem. what will happen if i run 'chkconfig cpuspeed off' in a terminal?
    I think the problem I was reporting here has precisely to do with the combination of cpuspeed 1.1 and a Via C3 CPU. If you have a Via C3 CPU then you could try to deactivate cpuspeed.

However, there can be many other reasons why your system locks up.

cheers

Rolf

petla Guest
    My Epia-M with 1Ghz Nehemiah did these funny stops every 1-24 hours.
    After I disabled cpuspeed the little box has been up for 2 days.

cheers,
    pete