<---- template headericclude ----->
Whoah, I go away for the weekend and X-windows is dead!
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoah, I go away for the weekend and X-windows is dead!

I went away for the weekend, left Fedora Core 3 running and come back on Sunday to find from the GUI I cannot write a single file to the harddrive, only read. I ctrl+alt+backspace and X-windows comes back with "Error reading journal" which I didn't understand, so I did a full reboot to receive:
    "JBD: Failed to Read Block offset 6540
    Ext3-fs:error loading journal."
    ... and no further activity.

The details: I have safely installed the Nvidia drivers, had to disable the screensaver and the blanking of the screen to prevent the computer from going away and not coming back,(It happened once and I decided to just turn off the monitors to save the screen)

I am in windows now and confined to it, red hat will not load for me. Am I supposed to just accept that it die? Anyone have any relevant experience?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not a X-problem. The journal is a feature of the ext-filesystem.

After googling, it seems to be a veeery old bug : https://listman.redhat.com/archives/.../msg00018.html
    Try his solution so try to go into the rescue mode : http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#rescue and do:
    Code:
    tune2fs -j /dev/hdx
    instead of x your device name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a rescue console boot, and if I attempt to scan for a FC3 installation, it locks up. If I skip that
    step, there is no /dev/hdc for me to tune2fs -j.... But, I used knoppix, this one did indeed mount the drive. But in attempting to run "tune2fs -j /mnt/hdg3" it tells me there is "No Valid Superblock" and does nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you mount the partition as an "ext2" type and not "ext3" ????? (readonly while you are fixing the problem.)

The two filesystems are very similar. Mounting it as "ext2" you may/will lose any file that was being written/journaled when your system died, but the rest of the files should still be there.

You could then, as a last resort, copy the "damaged" filesystem someplace else, and "reformat" the "bad"/"broken" partition with "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/somedriveandpartitionhere".
    Only dead fish go with the flow....

Hmmm, what did I miss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to boot to knoppix so that I may burn things off at least, but I could not get the drive to mount. It kept giving me superblock errors. I ran a mke2fs -T largefile and now i can mount it but I can't see any files. I am comforted by the fact that it just wrote the superblock information. It backed up hte superblock and was instantaneous, so I know hte data itself on the drive is intact, I just can't seem to figure out how to make linux identify it. I am at a loss now. This is pretty devestating. How would I go about mounting it as an alternate filesystem?