<---- template headericclude ----->
prelink maxing cpu usage?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    mscreations Guest

prelink maxing cpu usage?

I just reinstalled Fedora Core 3 to fix a problem with GNOME (nothing was loading. I think cause I installed too many development RPMs for FC4). It seems to be running fine, but I noticed that the CPU is staying maxed out with a program called prelink running. What is prelink and what is it doing. It probably has run before, but I never noticed it until now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    prelink is a program that "marks" other programs and libraries with information to allow them to better utilize the shared libraries (simple version, but you get the general idea).

Yes, it will pound the crud out of your CPU while running, but it only does a "full scan" periodically. The "problem" occurs when the computer was off at the time the full-scan is supposed to be run. The anacron service makes note of cron-jobs that were not run at their appointed times due to the computer being off and will trigger them to run when the computer is back on. This is the downside of turning the computer off. Heck, I even leave my laptop on when it's at work -- plugged in, of course.
    Linux User #28251 (April '93)
    Professional Java Geek :cool:

lincomet Guest
    run system-config-services
    stop the acrond and crond services, save and exit.
    It will solve your problem!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would strongly discourage anyone from just stopping the anacron and cron services. Unless you know exactly what you're disabling and the potential effect it will have on the system, you can end up causing other issues that may be extremely difficult to track down. There are quite a few regularly scheduled "housekeeping" tasks run by cron and, as I said, it's unwise to just blindly ignore them. I once diagnosed a disk-space issue where the system owner had, as lincomet suggests, just disabled a bunch of services. It turned out that he had multi-gigabyte log files because logrotate had never run...
    Linux User #28251 (April '93)
    Professional Java Geek :cool: