<---- template headericclude ----->
To: James in Denver regarding Fedora C3 booting
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    traveller Guest

To: James in Denver regarding Fedora C3 booting

James:

I followed your instruction, typed 'a', then 'single'. The computer began to boot, then sh 003# prompt is up, typed 'telinit 3', login as 'root' with password. typed ' telinit 5'. system was running something, then was dead again.

I chatted with a friend. He told me that the problem might be in my hardware parts such as Monitor, Mouse and video card. I remember that Fedora identify my viedo card as TNT 2, Mouse as PS/2 mouse. But my monitor can not be found in Fedora monitor list. My monitor is DigiView Model 1708. H Freq/V Freq 30-65 Khz/50-100 Hz. Monitor type: Multisync/Multiscan. I guess the monitor can not be identified by Fedora. Please correct me if I am wrong. I also tried to use Fedora C3 disk 1 to reboot, I used function key F5 to get into rescue mode, then I chroot /mnt/sysimage. then exit and let system reboot. It also didn't work. So I may need to get a new monitor for Fedora C3. Please advice. Thanks.
    Last edited by traveller; 18th March 2005 at 04:16 PM.

Javaguy78 Guest
    Can you get to Init3?

If you can, Log in as root and browse to /etc/X11 and open xorg.conf (using [vi xorg.conf])

You can manually choose your monitor settings rather than letting FC3 probe. Look for the section that looks like this:
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "ADI E55+"
    DisplaySize 270 200
    HorizSync 30.0 - 69.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection
    Edit the lines accordingly to match your monitor - the info above is my monitor. Option "dpms" is only necessary if your monitor supports DPMS SUSPEND. Save the file and reboot to Init5 and see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you made it to "init 3" without problems, but then have diffuculty with "init 5" then the problem is almost certainly your "X-windows" configuration (for reference sake "/etc/X11/xorg.conf")

It is most likely either a video card driver problem, or a monitor misconfiguration. Though, if the partition holding the "/tmp" directory is full, then X-windows will also fail, not a common problem, but it happens. You can check for a full partition by doing a "df" command in "init 3" (also known as "runlevel 3").

I suggest reading the documentation for your monitor, and write down the "Horizontal Freq" and the "Vertical Frequency".

then run either edit the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and change your video "Driver" to "vesa" (generic vga) and try "telinit 5" again. (yes, I know 'vi" is a pain to learn initially, but as a console editor, it is VERY useful for fixing a lot of configuration file problems. If you are not confident using "vi" then i suggest making a backup of the file you are going to edit before you make any changes....I like backups ).

If that fails, can you copy the "/var/log/xorg.0.log" file to any partition/device that has internet access and attach it to your next post?
    Only dead fish go with the flow....

Hmmm, what did I miss?

imdeemvp Guest
    If you are only in text mode run as root:
    Code:
    system-config-display
    and go to the HARDWARE TAB and select reconfigure monitor and use the CTR or LCD generic drivers according the the resolution you desire.

traveller Guest
    Javaguy78, James and Imdeemvp:

Thanks so much for your inputs. I do think your approaches are absolutely right. I will give a try, then come back to feedback. Have a nice weekend.