<---- template headericclude ----->
Add posting ranking system under member name
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fc_jeff Guest

Add posting ranking system under member name

Most Linux distro forums have some sort of posting ranking under the user name, and I think FedoraForum would benefit from it. It becomes sort of a badge of honor if one posts frequrently.

For instance it could be a system of zero to 5 red hats, each red hat received for a certain amount of posts. And a brief description could be added for each ranking. It might go something like so:

0 - 24 posts - zero red hats - "Fedora newbie"
    25 - 99 posts - 1 red hats - "Fedora user"
    100 - 199 posts - 2 red hats "Fedora power user"
    200 -299 posts - 3 red hats "Fedora apprentice"
    300 - 499 posts 4 red hats "Fedora aspiring expert"
    500 + posts - 5 red hats "Fedora expert"

jim is offline Retired Community Manager & Avid Drinker Of Suds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes but how would one judge said posts for quality and correctness <--------( is that even a word???)
    Registered Linux User: #376813
    Western NY
    My linux site
    Smolt Profile

please remember to say if you problem was solved

Did you get your id10t award today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll add it when i have time
    + Visit My new blog
    - [B]SlashGear US, SlashGear Japan, and
    +Founder & Admin of www.fedoraforum.org

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ewdi

Laptop : MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4GB DDR, 20-inch iMac Aluminium/4GB RAM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah right... than we all just need to add a 'yup, that would be the right way' to every thread...

of all the features I know from other forums, this one is the last I do miss

Mat

edit: in fact, that post made me advance one step closer to being an fedora expert and I didn't even talk about it...
    Man will always find a difficult means to perform a simple task
    (Rube Goldberg)

Having fun with Tcl at
    Mat's Playground

PeTzZz is offline Retired Community Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ewdi
    i'll add it when i have time
    Post count doesn't show how expert one in Fedora is. Besides everyone can see how many posts one has. I would prefer the reputation system instead of it and rank persons depending on reputation points or don't rank persons at all and improve the reputation system if you really decide to put it back.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can certainly see problems if 500 posts qualify you as an expert. I feel that I'm still in the 'user' category on my BEST days!
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

jim is offline Retired Community Manager & Avid Drinker Of Suds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur Bob
    Registered Linux User: #376813
    Western NY
    My linux site
    Smolt Profile

please remember to say if you problem was solved

Did you get your id10t award today?

fc_jeff Guest
    All good points. Rep system might be better.

Nighthawk4 Guest
    Some Forums (Fora?) have a system whereby other people can rate a posting - which gives the person who posted it a reputation. So, for example, if I ask for advice and someone replies, then I try what he or she suggested and it solves my problem, I can come back and improve that person's reputation.

This is a way of thanking people for good advice - and also indicates to others who is offering the best advice. Not perfect of course, as the reputation may have been gained for a different topic, but better than nothing. Plus, it feels good to see one's reputation improve with time. I think this might be less misleading than just assigning rank for number of posts.

Edit: Sorry, I hadn't noticed that others had already suggested this system - so much for my reputation *does not read carefully enough what is already written*

foolish Guest
    This is the very discussion we had prior to adding the reputiation system in the first place. We tried both of these suggestions, neither worked out like we wanted it too. If anyone has any new suggestions, please do present them. But we've tried the basic reputation system, and we've tried the title based on number of post. Neither work.

Ug is offline Retired Community Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn. Just what I was about to say. As for post rank, the amount a person can shoot their mouth off has no direct correlation with how good their advice is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    none of these"reputation" schemes give an accurate indication of posters ability/experience...I say get rid of it all...
    sailor
    West of San Antonio, Tx ... near Castroville Tx

Fedora 39 <> IntelCore i7-4790 × 4 <>

fc_jeff Guest
    My experience with other forums, including MepisLovers.org, Mandrakeusers.org, ubuntuforums.org, and BigSoccer.com has been that rating systems, including displaying ranking according to number of posts and reputation systems, have worked spectacularily well. They encourage users to post often and post well. I really don't see why these systems can't work here. If anyone disagrees, I encourage you to go to the above forums and check them out.

I read the other thread about the various problems, and it mentioned the fact that the rep system was removed. I think everyone decided it was the rep system's fault, mistakingly so. It was like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I honestly think that problems arose due to bad behavior of individual users, and the mods not being on top of them, and it was wrong to blame the system.

Oh well, I guess it's best to blow off any suggestions for improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll retract what I said before...if the scheme is only to give positive reputation that is fine...it was the "bad" reputation that was blamed for some of the recent problems. In most cases our recent problems were really due to folks not using the correct/adult way to settle disputes.

Admins/Moderator staff do this in their spare time(we are volunteers) and aren't always available or on top of every thread (it is a lot of reading!) we do rely on our users to report problems...so if you see something that looks bad let us know....
    Last edited by sailor; 5th April 2005 at 09:17 PM.
    sailor
    West of San Antonio, Tx ... near Castroville Tx

Fedora 39 <> IntelCore i7-4790 × 4 <>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fc_jeff
    Oh well, I guess it's best to blow off any suggestions for improvement.
    Please try not to take it too personally if the admins don't take immediate action regarding your suggestions. You believe a point or reputation system is a good idea. There are others who share your opinion and there are others who disagree. The old system didn't seem to mesh here at FedoraForum.org as it may have elsewhere. Why not give them some time to find a viable solution?

This topic has been beaten to death three times now. Why not let it rest for a week or two?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast