<---- template headericclude ----->
Why does everyone say that Microsoft is so Evil?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does everyone say that Microsoft is so Evil?

I seriously want to know why most Linux users are so prone to say that MS is evil. I see people around various Linux sites dissing MS all the time yet most of them have a dual-boot system. So what's the big deal?

I've thought of a few reasons you all don't like MS:

1. Windows is not Open Source.
    2. Windows costs money.
    3. BSOD.
    4. Somehow Windows just ain't your cup of tea.
    5 Your Jealous of the money MS makes and therefore bitter.

Actually I have no clue why so many bash Windows. I know MS spreads FUD about Linux but Linux does the same damn thing. I don't see why people can't just leave Windows alone and continue using what is best for them.

Keep in mind Linux AND Mac haven't put a dent in the Windows market share yet...
    HP AIO | Dual Core Intel 11th Gen Core I3 - 3 GHz | 8 GB DDR4 RAM | 256 GB SSD | Intel HD Graphics | Windows 10

No fate but what we make...
    My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com

Negation Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kona0197
    I seriously want to know why most Linux users are so prone to say that MS is evil. I see people around various Linux sites dissing MS all the time yet most of them have a dual-boot system. So what's the big deal?

2. Windows costs money.
    3. BSOD.

Actually I have no clue why so many bash Windows. I know MS spreads FUD about Linux but Linux does the same damn thing. I don't see why people can't just leave Windows alone and continue using what is best for them.

Keep in mind Linux AND Mac haven't put a dent in the Windows market share yet...
    For me its the dumbing down of things, I don't like the fact that I have no say in what Windows does, I can't change the site WMP gets its information from etc. On the other hand Microsoft has made computers easier to use and allows computer iliterate people use the computer without the headaches, but this also has the downside because of the way Windows is setup in regards to security not many novice computer users know to update windows so it double edged sword.

I am most annoyed with the perfomance most of all, I can't have more than one or two programs running at the same time with out a performance hit, My hardware while maybe not top of the line, is still fairly powerful and as such I should be able to run what I like and not have to worry about the operating system being able to handle it, which I don't have to worry about in linux .

Microsoft should step up and clean up windows you pay enough for it and get treated like a criminal for using it, I feel it should perform better be more secure and give you more choice.
    Last edited by Negation; 22nd July 2005 at 05:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft is currently trying to flood asian markets with Windows to squeeze out Linux which many of these lower income countries are looking at seriously for public use etc. They also are involved with Intel and a new multimedia platform that is just going to be a medium to screw over the customers. [there is a thread on here about that.] They along with Intel want to push onboard drm methods that will just be a gateway for people to do some very interesting things [like remotely format the drives of systems by exploiting flaws in the hardware drm firmware code.] its the actions of Microsoft that generates this perception.
    Ware wa mutekinari.
    Wa ga kage waza ni kanau mono nashi.
    Wa ga ichigeki wa mutekinari.

Please vote for this bug and help me make GAYT [Go As You Type ]a standard option in Firefox.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me its you don't have a say in a properly configured file. I love the text way of doing anything. Bring up a cfg file and see whats going on and then copying that or mailing that to a friend so he can have it setup exactly the way he wants it. You can do that with Microsoft well you can but never to the same way. While there are pro's and con's with both ways the only reason I use Microsoft is for games.

Thanks for spreding some Microsoft FUD of your own :P

BSOD still happen. The latest updates cause file explorer to crash profusely I know this for a fact. When I had issues with my computer I had to re-install windows 6 times over two days and the guy on the other line made me feel like I was trying to sell windows illegally I hate that.

Also the fact that everything they do is to make it propietary instead of GROWING whats out there they try to limit it to 'windows' only setups that to me is stupid. Why support mp3 and all the other propietary video codecs. Use the open source ones and make them better for everyone to use. Then you will grow the market not shrink it.

tejas Guest
    What I found stupid was how they wanted to irritate people by stopping people from using middle click on MSN website in firefox

They programmed a java applet so that if you middle click in firefox, it will do the same thing as if you regularly clicked.

This seemed really juvenile for such a huge company

I wish I could find the link. It was a thread on this forum, backed up by a link to the original javascript code, ON the MSN network, along with a news article

VN-Frank Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kona0197

2. Windows costs money.
    3. BSOD.

Not everyone says that.... that MS were evil.

As I see it, we are in a transition phase. Open source is a working alternative to proprietary software solutions, and it is definitely pushing down software aquisition costs. As matter of fact,
    Microsoft is the financially strongest software company in the world, and they do just what every business does: Maximize profits.

The new oss model is a threat to MS, and right now they are changing strategy and go into some co-operative kind of position. The FUD campaign "get the facts" will be replaced by a new one alike "lets work together"......

But surely, software prices will come down.

The biggest threat for the open source community is, that MS will slash prices that much, that again only "gurus" take the hassle to waste their days on imature linux distros.... like FC.

Imagine Longhorn on the desktop costs 59,-$...... what then ?

Being competetive, thats the discipline "linux gurus" are not goodin yet.
    MS does have that experience.

And, as long linux goes along with that underdog image(we against them...), something is still not right.

Melio Guest
    I used to have a pet troll once, but I'v decided to flush it down the toilet.

macgregor Guest

Talking

Microsoft lies. Not just little white lies but blatant, bald-faced lies - and even MS knows they are lies but they are hoping people are too stupid to figure the lies out. A good product can stand on its own merits without the creator(s) dragging the competition through the mud. Windows is not be a good product - it's not even good trash.

Microsoft was caught red-handed faking evidence in court. If a corporation which knows right from wrong cannot be trusted in a court of law, they should not be allowed to exist - much less be trusted at all. I wouldn't trust them for the time of day.

Windows is closed-source and that source is a closely guarded secret. Due to this fact, there is no telling what the OS is doing with your information behind your back - especially an OS that is made and distributed by an untrustworthy corporation. I wonder how often Windows sends the users' personal and private information back to Microsoft.

Using Windows did nothing but cost me money and keep me stupid. I have been using Linux for a few years and the only cost I have had to pay was for blank CD's and this wasn't even really necessary. Using Linux has also taught me so much about computers and software - I even learned enough to be able to build computers from individual parts and write my own apps. I can legally install Linux on millions of machines without having to "activate" anything or ask anyone's permission. I can also legally give millions of copies of Linux away to anyone I want. Linux comes with everything I have ever needed and at no time have I ever needed to spend any money on anything. I can even run a full Linux distro (LiveCD, MEPIS, Knoppix, etc) from the CD drive when there is no hard drive in the machine - great for trouble shooting.

Yeah, Linux ROCKS, Windows SUCKS and that isn't going to change.

I will never stop using Linux and I will never use any OS made and distributed by Microsoft. At least I know MS will never have 100% of the desktop, server or business markets.

Long Live Linux!

VN-Frank Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by macgregor
    Microsoft lies. Not just little white lies but blatant, bald-faced lies - and even MS knows they are lies but they are hoping people are too stupid to figure the lies out. A good product can stand on its own merits without the creator(s) dragging the competition through the mud. Windows is not be a good product - it's not even good trash.

Microsoft was caught red-handed faking evidence in court. If a corporation which knows right from wrong cannot be trusted in a court of law, they should not be allowed to exist - much less be trusted at all. I wouldn't trust them for the time of day.

Windows is closed-source and that source is a closely guarded secret. Due to this fact, there is no telling what the OS is doing with your information behind your back - especially an OS that is made and distributed by an untrustworthy corporation. I wonder how often Windows sends the users' personal and private information back to Microsoft.

Using Windows did nothing but cost me money and keep me stupid. I have been using Linux for a few years and the only cost I have had to pay was for blank CD's and this wasn't even really necessary. Using Linux has also taught me so much about computers and software - I even learned enough to be able to build computers from individual parts and write my own apps. I can legally install Linux on millions of machines without having to "activate" anything or ask anyone's permission. I can also legally give millions of copies of Linux away to anyone I want. Linux comes with everything I have ever needed and at no time have I ever needed to spend any money on anything. I can even run a full Linux distro (LiveCD, MEPIS, Knoppix, etc) from the CD drive when there is no hard drive in the machine - great for trouble shooting.

Yeah, Linux ROCKS, Windows SUCKS and that isn't going to change.

I will never stop using Linux and I will never use any OS made and distributed by Microsoft. At least I know MS will never have 100% of the desktop, server or business markets.

Long Live Linux!
    Do you believe, RedHat or any other Linux compay doesn't "lie" ever ?

If you believe, something is wrong with the US justice system, in particular regarding software/intellectual property laws, then it's up to the Americans to change it. Or what else ?

Most companies of any kind will always try to bend the truth to great lengths, even lie maybe, if it helps them to get or keep their competetive edge, or what they believe it should be. Do you have a job, for a business or just government ? If its business, does your company have a marketing department ? OK, and they tell all the truth to their prospective customers at all times ?

You may love linux (as I do too). But, if you "fight" MS, then why not first learn from them? Afterwards you may beat them. Thats how THEY operate, and thats one reasons why they dominate the game still. Neglecting this particular point is foolish.

That battle is going to be won by brain, not by big words. By hard work and a humble attitude.

And sorry, I dont agree that Windows"sucks". Sometimes it does, but it improved a lot over the years. Couldnt we agree to it and face the facts ? How can you win against MS, if your own hate and jealousy is so big that you are too blind to evauate the state of arts at MS ?

Sure, they play as tough & "dirty" as they can get away with it legally. So, how are you going get them ?

Compete and deliver something by your own, stop talking !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Thanks everyone! The more I actually look into it the more my eyes are being opened. I think when I get a new hard drive then XP is history. Yet I have much to learn.
    HP AIO | Dual Core Intel 11th Gen Core I3 - 3 GHz | 8 GB DDR4 RAM | 256 GB SSD | Intel HD Graphics | Windows 10

No fate but what we make...
    My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Competition is OKAY. What is not acceptable is playing dirty. Everyone knows what MS did during the first OS wars years ago. Now MS is threatening to use software patents to screw GNU/Linux and Free Software. That't no longer competition.

Thomas Howard Guest
    I find that Fedora core is just better quality than windows, overall.
    One example of this would be that I can turn off the computer in linux without shutting down properly, but the last time I did it in windows XP, it broke and wouldnt even start up in safe mode.
    I did eventually get it rrepared using the CD. but then I had to restart the blasted thing multiple times to install all the updates, what sort of dunderhead sets up such an irritating system of updates where you have to restart after installing each group?

In fedora core 3 with synaptic, I could simply select all the packages I wanted updated, install them, and bang, linux is updated, no restart needed unless ive grabbed a new kernel or such. Same deal with yum too.

For me, windows just isnt worth the money, the only reason I have it (I use it for games, I may eventually get cedega) is that we had an old windows XP CD at home and the computer that last had windows from that CD on it, now has linux (and now belongs to someone else, running fedora core 3).

gavinw6662 Guest
    I think for me is about the flexibility. You get endless possibilites with Linux, but windows has the code on lockdown so it is difficult to change things as you would like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft is a business. And like any other business, it exists only to make *money*, not quality software or efficient services. The fact that they do provide software and services is just a means to that end. What's more, they have a well documented history of using any means necessary to kill competition and maintain their near-monopoly. This includes government lobbying, hostile takeovers, lawsuits, anti-competetive licensing, theft, lies, and just about every form of unethical behaviour that exists. Again, I say "well documented", this is just the behaviour we know about. MS has been brought to court many times regarding "anti-trust", and have settled on paying Billions of dollars in retribution and have even been forced to change some of their ways. Couple that with the fact that MS software is closed-source, and prone to viruses, trojans, worms, adware, spyware, and just plain insecure and buggy. And recently MS has been moving to make open-media formats illegal using DRM and government legislation. I have a very hard time justifying using MS products unless I absolutely need a piece of Windows-only software. And that occurs exceedingly rarely.

Linux (OSS, FSF, GNU, etc) on the other hand is a *movement*. It exists to provide high-quality, open-source, free software. There are free Linux equivelants for almost every Windows app, and there are many, many things that can only be done in Linux. Linux is much more stable and secure than any current Windows OS. Linux viruses, trojans, worms, adware and spyware are virtually non-existant. And not because nobody has tried, but because the very design Linux makes it nearly impossible for effective viruses etc to propogate on Linux. Linux also provides a great deal of choice. There are many different Linux distributions to suit just about any needs.

Most importantly, Linux is open-source and free. If I suspect a piece of code is not doing what it's supposed to be doing, I can examine the source to look for problems (and I have). Or if I think a piece of software could benefit from additional features, I can make the changes and submit a patch. Or I can contact the project maintainers and make suggestions that are actually heard and considered. I can also code my own software without the need to trust closed-source, black-box libraries (or pay $200 for VisualC++).

Of course, the lists against MS and for Linux are extensive, but those are the basics. It's not even that MS is *evil* per-se, just that their current business model doesn't support producing inexpensive, high-quality software, not to mention open-source.

m2c,
    Jason
    There is no 'CTRL' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

c4raku Guest
    neither windows nor GNU/Linux is perfect. both have strengths, both have weak points. just pick the 1 that best suits your needs. fanboyz and zealots on either side of that fence can all st*u.
    anyone in IT support or PC repair knows that the real problem with any OS isnt who made it, but who's using it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast