Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd September 2005, 03:02 PM
moonmoth Offline

How do I add a route???

(This is an offshoot from a previous post, but I think that it is sufficiently different to merit a separate thread. If not, then I apologise in advance).

I have two Linux machines, one of which can access the internet and one which cannot. The difference appears to be a routing problem. Running "netstat -rn" shows that the one which works has the line "0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1 0.0.0.0. UG 0 0 0 Eth 0" and the other one does not.

What do I need to do to add the route? I tried running "/sbin/dhclient eth0" but it didn't help. The system which works OK is CentOS and the system which does not work OK is Fedora Core 4.

Both machines are running with dynamic IP addressing, but with a lease of "forever."
Old 3rd September 2005, 09:21 PM
bubudiu Offline

What happened to "Mr Search"?
- http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=53945

FC3 Firefox Start Page FC3 Firefox Start Page Download FC3 Hardening Guide FC3 Kernel Recompile Guide

Capt Bubudiu "Sheriff"
Old 3rd September 2005, 10:05 PM
imdeemvp Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubudiu
Sadly it gets ignore....but you nailed the correct to correct anwser.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 3rd September 2005, 10:10 PM
moonmoth Offline

Indeed I did search before posting! Cross my heart and hope to die! Didn't find it. However, I did finally get the answer: "/sbin/route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.2.1 eth0" solves the immediate problem. (But not the long-range problem, because it does not survive a restart. I found that a workaround, however, is to just tell Fedora that he has static IP addresses, even though the router is DHCP. But the leases are forever, so it seems to work. Seems immoral to have to do it that way, though.)
Old 4th September 2005, 02:29 AM
fozner Offline

Quote:
Seems immoral to have to do it that way
One thing you could do is go into system-config-network on both machines and set them up identically, except for the hostname, which should be unique, of course. In KDE there is also the handy Hat -> System Tools -> Internet Configuration Wizard. As long as your connection is fairly standard that will blow through the configs without a hitch.

Tags
add, route