FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post The newb's guide to installing Linux and resizing NTFS

Hello all,
    Here's a step-by-step howto on installing Linux. This one is for installing Fedora Core 5/6. If you want to sue it for another distribution, I'm sure the same steps will work.

If you're really stuck, please post a new thread but first search the forum and Google it. In most cases, common problems such as "how can I get to see my Windows files in linux?" they have been answered many times over. And, just a search tip for Google, anything in quotes must be exactly matched. "Two Words" will search for documents with "two words" one after another, not for a document with "two" and "words" somewhere spread across it...

#1: Download your Install CD ISO's and backup

ISO's are CD/DVD images. In this case, the ISO's are the images for Fedora Core installation.
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...ra/linux/core/
    First, choose the Fedora version you'd like to install. 6 is the newest as of writing this, so I'd take '6'.
    Now, you will see several folders. Don't panic -- They represent the different architectures for computers. Basically, a computing architecture is the style in which your processor -- or the brain of your computer -- does it's thinking. Each architecture needs a different style of instructions, so we have many versions of Fedora Core so as many people can choose to use Fedora as possible:
    • If you're using a Macintosh or Apple computer, you're "ppc". (The new intel-breed will be "i386", though)
    • If you have a AMD Athlon 64 you're "x86_64" - Although i386 will still work fine for you, even better in some cases. i386 is the arch. I recommend downloading.
    • Anything else, meaning any Pentium or a non-athlon 64 AMD you're "i386"

* Please do not click "source" (Or SRPMS for that matter) as they are the source distribution only used by developers.

Click on the corresponding directory (This is the official term for "folder"), and then go into the "iso" directory. You'll need all 5 CD images, or the single DVD image. Obviously, you can't use the DVD image if you don't have a DVD burner.

--> If you're choosing the 5 CD images, then download the FC-#-$ARCH$-disc1.iso all the way to FC-#-$ARCH$-disc5.iso, where # is your Fedora Core version number and $ARCH$ is your type. In my case, I'm using a Pentium 4 processor, so therefore my architecture is i386. I'd have to download:
    FC-6-i386-disc1.iso, FC-6-i386-disc2.iso FC-6-i386-disc3.iso FC-6-i386-disc4.iso, and FC-6-i386-disc5.iso. Don't worry if the filenames vary a little from the ones you see on your screen, they change from release to release.

--> If you're using the DVD image, then download the FC-#-$ARCH$-DVD.iso image, where # is your Fedora Core version number and $ARCH$ again is your type. (Not to sound like a broken record, but...) In my case, I'm using a Pentium 4 processor, so therefore my architecture is i386. I'd have to download:
    FC-6-i386-DVD.iso

Downloading the ISOs will take a while. While I've never seen a Windows partition get corrupted after I resize it and install Linux, it could happen. Better be safe then sorry and as you're waiting for that percentage to 100, do a backup.

#2: Burn the ISOs

Next, let's burn these newly acquired ISO images. Please note that you can't just put the file into a data CD: You'll need to burn it as a "CD Image". If you don't have a retail CD burning application that can do so, then see this page:
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
    I've never used it but it should work. If you're using a previous version of Linux to upgrade to a newer one, you can use the k3b application:
    Code:
    yum install k3b
    will get it installed. "Burn a CD Image" is available from the Tools menu.

Alright, so now you have 5 CDs labeled 1 through 5, or a single DVD. In most cases, I'm assuming you need to resize your partitions.

You see, you can't install Linux on your Windows free space. Partitions is sort-of like slicing a pie. You can't make two pies from one piece -- The crust is the same but the good-tasting part at the bottom would get mixed together and not taste so good. Linux needs it's own piece as much as Windows does so they can reside in peace, you can't mash them together. (Lame example, I know I know, but it works ) To keep Windows alive on your drive, you have to resize your partition, leaving unpartitioned space for Linux. This, essentially, is still "free space", it's just now Windows isn't hogging it.

So, moving on. You're going to need a partitioner. There are commercial ones like Partition Magic, but not all of us are willing to drive to Future Shop and pay 50$ for a copy. A free one, the gparted LiveCDworks very well and is easy to use. There is also the
    SysResc CD that is more flexible but is harder to use.
    Either way, download the ISO, and same process, burn it as an image.

#3: Booting up the LiveCD & installing Fedora

The next, and the almost final step: Resizing Windows and installing Linux. Insert the SysResc CD (or gparted Live CD) into your CD-ROM (the first drive if you have 2).
    You should see the boot prompt (a line waiting for you to type text); If not please see the step below.

+++
    --> BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is a system that runs the basic hardware detection and setup of your system at boot up. It also control where your system boots from. Because this time, we want to start from the CD, you'll have to enter it and change the boot order. It depends on which brand the key needed to enter, but common ones are:
    - F12
    - F2
    - F10
    - Delete (Not to be confused with backspace: this is the delete key closer to the numpad...)
    - Esc
    You usually are given a short amount of time at startup to press the key: keep trying and rebooting until you get it. Once you're in the BIOS, <enter> selects, <+>, <->, <up> or <down> changes values, and <esc> goes back. Enter the boot order and make CDROM come before Hard Drive.
    +++

If you want to use SysResc CD, it's long and I can't describe it here, so you're on your own for getting QTParted started
    Now that you see the gparted Live CD boot prompt, just hit <enter> and reply to the questions it asks. Arrow keys select, <enter> submits.
    You will see the Live CD start up, and eventually get to the gparted program.
    Right-click your NTFS partition, you should see it come up on Primary drive 1 (/dev/hda). Click Resize.

Now, it's up to you by how much, but personally, a nice install is around 2 GB, plus I would say another 2 - 5 GB for documents, and I like room for expansion, so I'd say make at least 10GB unpartitioned space for Linux. I recommend 40GB, as that leaves plenty of room for future application installs and whatever else you'd like to throw on there.

When you're done, quit gparted and restart the computer. (After quitting gparted a right-click should get you that option)

Next, insert Fedora Install CD 1 and reboot. Simply follow the on-screen instructions.
    TIPS:
    • I like to tell the installer to do "Custom" install type (on new Fedora Core releases, you have to click the "Customize Now..." button instead), that way you can see what you'd like to install on your new Linux system.
    • When that time comes and Fedora asks for partitioning type, select "use remaining free space" OR ELSE ALL PARTITIONS WILL BE ERASED.
    • When you reboot, you won't be able to get into Windows. Don't worry, we fix that in the next step.

(Continued on next post)

Firewing1
    Last edited by Firewing1; 7th May 2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Adding stuff, removing errors
    [+] My open source software and blog
    [+] Some of my howtos: (for full list, click here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4 Configuring Fedora (and getting Windows to live with Fedora an harmony)

--> Configure Windows XP:
    GRUB is the bootloader for Linux, meaning that it's the bit of software that starts your Linux system. Although, can also be configured to boot Windows. Here's how: (In a terminal, as root)
    gedit /etc/grub.conf
    Add these lines to the bottom:
    Code:
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    This should work for most people. If you're Windows XP partitions isn't the first, then try changing the (hd0,0) to (hd0,1), and so on. Don't go past 8. If it still doesn't work then just see this thread for how to configure your GRUB correctly.

--> Personally, I find Fedora's default theme very ugly. In the menu, select
    [Menu] Desktop > Preferences > Theme
    Click on "Clearlooks", then on "Theme Details". Under the "Icons" tab, select "Bluecurve" from the list. It's icons are MUCH better looking. Click "Close" and all will be well.

--> For those Windows shortcut lovers, in the same menu (Desktop > Preferences > Theme) "Keyboard Shortcuts" can be set to have "Super_L" (The Windows Logo key) the menu pop up as it would make the "Start" pop up back in windows.
    By the way, just a little fun fact... I never understood why Microsoft named their menu "Start". I'm not "Starting" when shutting down my computer! Silly name when you come think about it, huh?

--> Often around the forum you will here of Terminals. A terminal is simply a window that has the CLI -- Command Line Interface. It is much harder to use than a GUI, but once you learn it it gives much more control over what goes on. You can access it by
    [menu] Applications > Accessories > Terminal

--> Simple Linux CLI commands / tips:
    cd: Change Directory. In Linux, the / is like C:\ in Windows. So, /home/admin you mean "The directory admin, in the directory home, which is in the root of the drive, or /."
    ls: List files in the directory
    "quotes make spaces ánd àccênts possible": When using spaces, accents, or other special characters in names, wrap it in quotes. Eg:
    Code:
    cd /home/"my fólder wîth spàcés ând special characters"
    For more info and for newb resource links, please see the "resource" section of
    Linux Questions Answered!. It also contains the definitions of all those 'techie' words used here ( ) and more.

Sometimes, I've noticed too -- You have to map drives in grub. If the code above doesn't work, try this instead:
    Code:
    title Windows
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1
    again, try changing the rootnoverify (hd1,0) to rootnoverify (hd1,1) and so on... You'll need to reboot to make changes -- on the GRUB menu ("Hit any key to enter menu") screen, do so, and then Windows XP should be there.

Firewing1
    Last edited by Firewing1; 7th May 2007 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work,
    but using the code tag makes it look tidier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like this?
    Thanks,
    Firewing1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks much better now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also heard from another member that iPartition is a great way to resize HFS+ partitions (If you're using a Mac, 99.9% this is the filesystem you're using.)
    I'd thought I'd bring this back alive...
    Firewing1

FedoraTomorrow[deleted] Guest
    What, not saying there are FC-DVD's ? :P (beginning of how-to) I'm gonna try it soon, hope it works, but otherwise, long live backups...

Thanks for the how-to, I think it should be advertised much better. Saves the time for throwing away your entire windows....

Edit

I'm not sure if this is true, but don't you need to defragment your winxp drive first? (if so, how do you move the pagefile.sys to the beginning of the disk)
    Last edited by FedoraTomorrow; 21st March 2006 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, the new ntfsresize program in the ntfsprogs package doesn't require a defrag first and even better it automatically schedules a NTFS check on reboot to make sure it resized ok
    Firewing1

but you still cán get Fedora core on DVD, instead of 4 cd's mentioned in the HOW-TO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true -- I'll mention that now...
    Firewing1

But you're still the dude

it's a great how-to

by the way, isn't there a qparted for the i386? :S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i386 = x86
    Firewing1

the sysresccd.org site is down unfortunately.... I hope it's only tempory, wanted to do all of this today :P

And thanks a lot fo all your help, even if you áre born in 1991, you're still younger than me! (and know much more too)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol... I revamped it for FC5, and added a gparted link. I've never used that one, but it should still work as a repartitioner
    Firewing1

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast